Respected Contributor

I'm searching an extra wide walker, with the seat, & seat height can be adjusted. I'm very short (& wide), & all the walkers I'm finding are 22-24 seat height from the floor. I need about 20. Anyone have knowledge on walkers? 

I've seen several on Amazon & most all have good reviews, but not seat adjustment.

Respected Contributor

Call  your insurance company first.  Most insurance covers all or some of cost and they may be able to assist with which one to buy.

Respected Contributor

Call a medical supply store locally, they will probably know.  Also, ditto on the suggestion to check with your doctor first.  He might be able to write a Rx, so it will be discounted in price for you.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Re: Walker recommendations?

[ Edited ]

I have two models ..... bought them both at Amazon.

• The HUGO ELITE one strictly for walking.  It's heavier and just feels sturdier and more secure.  I've used it since 2012.   Just ordered a new HUGO.  The wheels are worn and replacement wheels are no longer available.

• The other smaller and lighter GUARDIAN is what t I use when I have to take taxis and there's not a lot of walking involved. It's easier to fold, but not as comfortable for walking any distance.  This seat on this one is about 21".  

Google "where to buy a walker" .... you might fine a location nearby where you can check for size.

Honored Contributor

This is something g so important for you, so I'm going to stick my neck out and make a recommendation- have a consult with a physical therapist or an occupational therapist.

My dear relative started for her own reasons, to use a cane, and as it turned out, it was the wrong length cane AND  she was using it incorrectly.

Her falls increased and ultimately her situation became worse, and faster than they should have.

Please give it a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@TX-starlight

I agree with @violann. Medicare and your insurance company may pay for all or some of the cost. What is better, you  will have the right walkier. Please contact a local Physical therapist or practice in your area. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg 

Good advice .... 

I've used mine so long, I forgot about PT's recommendations!  Walkers are becoming a "vehicle of choice" in my area (NYC).

----------------------------

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@TX-starlight

I agree with @violann. Medicare and your insurance company may pay for all or some of the cost. What is better, you  will have the right walkier. Please contact a local Physical therapist or practice in your area.