Respected Contributor

Re: Waited too long to get flu shot

@alicedee wrote:

Got my flu shot this week.  After reading about the early cases already, I decided not to wait til October, as I usually do.

I’m 65, so got the higher dosage one.  Also got my first pneumonia shot....she told me next year I will get another, then will be done for life.  That shot made my arm very sore, and I had pain in my shoulders and upper back for a couple days.  But...I consider it well worth some discomfort.

Last year I got Shingrix (first of 2) vaccine in one arm and pneumonia (13) vaccine in the other. Felt really crummy for a day or two. Headache, chills, body aches maybe small temp.

Honored Contributor

Tamiflu never worked for us. It's pricey too.

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

First my sister went to dr. wed, confirmed she has the flu. I picked up her children from school that day, kept till yesterday. Mom went to dr yesterday, confirmed flu.

Now, I'm not feeling so hot. If you aren't sick yet and usually get the flu shot, you may want to go ahead and not wait.

Dr told sis it hitting earlier than usual this year.

I don't usually get the shot this early, I don't think.

What state are you in? I use the CDC flu tracking to see where confirmed cases are. I’d like to check to see if your states already showing cases.

Honored Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@cherry wrote:

You might try Tamiflu, it is supposed to help a lot..feel better soon

I hear that it helps too!. My husband was exposed to Influenza A last year and his dr. gave him a script to take. He started it but never got sick. We were leaving on a big trip.

Tamiflu was as close to a miracle drug as I've ever used. You need to get the first dose it within 24-hours of the onset of symptoms to be effective, so see a doctor for a flu test and get a prescription ASAP.

My doctor told me to take it in the drugstore parking lot, so that's exactly what I did. It was a world of difference from the last time I'd had the flu, sometime in the 90s.

Also, FYI: If you get the flu, especially early, you should still get a flu vaccine. It's possible to get multiple strains of the flu.

Do you have to go to the doctors office and put the staff and other patients in jeopardy there or can you call your doctor and ask for a RX?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

AS OF RIGHT NOW, FROM THE CONFIRMED CASES BELOW, IT LOOKS LIKE THE VACCINES ARE TARGETING THE STRAINS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SICKENED WITH IN THE LAST THREE WEEKS. ✅

In the last three weeks these are the number of confirmed cases by strain here in U.S. from the CDC.

Number of Influenza Positive Tests
  •  
    A (H1)
    -
  •  
    A (Unable to Subtype)
    -
  •  
    ✅A (H3)
    -
  •  
    ✅A (H1N1)pdm09
    -
  •  
    A (Subtyping not Performed)
    -
  •  
    B (Lineage Unspecified)
    -
  •  
    ✅H3N2v
    -
  •  
    ✅B (Victoria Lineage)
    -
  •  
    ✅B (Yamagata Lineage)
    -

What viruses will the 2019-2020 flu vaccines protect against?

There are many different flu viruses and they are constantly changing. The composition of U.S. flu vaccines is reviewed annually and updated as needed to match circulating flu viruses. Flu vaccines protect against the three or four viruses (depending on the vaccine) that research suggests will be most common. For 2019-2020, trivalent (three-component) vaccines are recommended to contain:

• A/Brisbane/02/2018 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus (updated)
  • A/Kansas/14/2017 (H3N2)-like virus (updated)
  • B/Colorado/06/2017-like (Victoria lineage) virus

*Quadrivalent (four-component) vaccines, which protect against a second lineage of B viruses, are recommended to contain:

• the three recommended viruses above, plus B/Phuket/3073/2013-like (Yamagata lineage) virus.

(*QUADRIVALENT VACCINE IS NOT FOR 65 AND OLDER. If you’re older than 65 you probably will be given the high dose trivalent vaccine.) 

Even if get a shot and get the flu the shot is still beneficial. According to the CDC:
  • “Even if you do get the flu after being vaccinated, some studies have shown that a flu vaccine can reduce the severity of your illness.
    • 2017 study showed that flu vaccination reduced deaths, intensive care unit (ICU) admissions, ICU length of stay, and overall duration of hospitalization among hospitalized flu patients.
    • 2018 studyexternal icon showed that among adults hospitalized with flu, vaccinated patients were 59 percent less likely to be admitted to the ICU than those who had not been vaccinated. Among adults in the ICU with flu, vaccinated patients on average spent 4 fewer days in the hospital than those who were not vaccinated.”
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

What happened with your post?? It looks weird.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tamiflu is not the only antiviral drug available. Now there is a new Rx one called Xofluza. It's better and it works fast...48 hours and you only need one dose. It's covered by some Medicare plans.

XOFLUZA

https://www.xofluza.com/?c=cap-1665ff6c440&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkIGb7-_x5AIVAdRkCh30tQ1tEAAYASAAEgIWVvD...

@happycat 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Mindy D 

What happened with your post?? It looks weird.

It’s the way the strains are listed on the CDC page. I pasted this. The green check marks are my own addition. Sorry if it looks weird. Looks like you made a wise choice with the quadravalent. There’s already two cases of B Phuket/ Yamagata. This strain didn’t show up widely until very late last season. 

Honored Contributor

My mother got her shot yesterday.  She will be 90 in Oct. and is facing surgery on a blocked carotid artery.  The vascular surgeon seemed happy she got it early.

Esteemed Contributor

Yikes!!! I am susceptible to just about anything and will be heading to Walgreens tomorrow for my flu shot. I hope you are on the mend soon😊.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖