Honored Contributor

Re: Waited too long to get flu shot

I would not have kept the children if you had been around your sister. I hope you feel better and the kids don’t get sick also. Got my flu shot about 10 days ago...sounds like Just in the nick of time!😬
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think Tamiflu iseffective if it is taken right away when symptoms begin.
Honored Contributor

I started seeing flu shot signs in July...that seemed so early! Got mine about ten days ago along with the first shingles vaccine
Honored Contributor

Remember that the flu shot doesn’t guarantee you won’t get the flu, but it does help make the flu less severe and shorten the time you are sick. Anyone who has ever had a bad case of the flu knows the shot is well worth it if it can lessen your misery
Honored Contributor

Health Providers:

I have a question.

I’m going to visit my elderly mother in 2-3 weeks.

If I’m exposed to the virus, but strong enough personally

NOT to get sick, can I still carry it to my Mom?

I’m think creepy airplane air & such....

I wouldn’t be getting the vaccine for me but to protect her.

Does that make sense?

Honored Contributor

If Tamiflu hasn't worked for you in the past, then you might ask your doctor about the new Xofluza. That's suppose to work against Tamiflu-resistant stains of flu and it works faster with just one dose.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

You might try Tamiflu, it is supposed to help a lot..feel better soon

Thank you @cherry.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@happycat wrote:

First my sister went to dr. wed, confirmed she has the flu. I picked up her children from school that day, kept till yesterday. Mom went to dr yesterday, confirmed flu.

Now, I'm not feeling so hot. If you aren't sick yet and usually get the flu shot, you may want to go ahead and not wait.

Dr told sis it hitting earlier than usual this year.

I don't usually get the shot this early, I don't think.

What state are you in? I use the CDC flu tracking to see where confirmed cases are. I’d like to check to see if your states already showing cases.

I am in Arkansas. Not sure if its showing up on cdc or not, but the other day the local news had a Dr from Baptist hospital on telling people to get the flu shot now, as they are already seeing cases.

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@happycat wrote:

First my sister went to dr. wed, confirmed she has the flu. I picked up her children from school that day, kept till yesterday. Mom went to dr yesterday, confirmed flu.

Now, I'm not feeling so hot. If you aren't sick yet and usually get the flu shot, you may want to go ahead and not wait.

Dr told sis it hitting earlier than usual this year.

I don't usually get the shot this early, I don't think.

What state are you in? I use the CDC flu tracking to see where confirmed cases are. I’d like to check to see if your states already showing cases.

I don't know her state but there is confirmed flu (maybe A) in Michigan.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom,

Yes, you can indeed carry the flu virus to your mother if you are exposed to it, but don’t actually get sick yourself.