Honored Contributor

Re: Waited too long to get flu shot

I usually get mine mid October, but after hearing from mulitple sources that the flu is coming earlier this year, I got mine Tuesday when I got my second shingles shot.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

First my sister went to dr. wed, confirmed she has the flu. I picked up her children from school that day, kept till yesterday. Mom went to dr yesterday, confirmed flu.

Now, I'm not feeling so hot. If you aren't sick yet and usually get the flu shot, you may want to go ahead and not wait.

Dr told sis it hitting earlier than usual this year.

I don't usually get the shot this early, I don't think.

Good suggestion by the other poster for  getting  some Tamiflu medication. However, you need to start the medication as soon as you feel  flu symtoms without delay . Also there has been some reserach questioning the effectiveness  and side effects some people have experienced .  Even though I  have received the flu vaccine  every yr , the vaccine never covers all  potential viruses .  I've had good results twice  with starting  Tamiflu  within 24 hrs of flu symptoms . I feel it shortened the duration and severity of the flu for me.

Honored Contributor

I was wondering if the flu vaccine even covers the particular flu going around now? If it doesn't .....I will probably wait a couple of weeks.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant   Last week, I watched on our local new channel that some people had the flu in my state.  They said the strain of flu that these people had was in this years flu vaccine.

I don't know how many strains are going to hit this year, but it appears the CDC got at least one right.

Respected Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@cherry wrote:

You might try Tamiflu, it is supposed to help a lot..feel better soon

I hear that it helps too!. My husband was exposed to Influenza A last year and his dr. gave him a script to take. He started it but never got sick. We were leaving on a big trip.

Tamiflu was as close to a miracle drug as I've ever used. You need to get the first dose it within 24-hours of the onset of symptoms to be effective, so see a doctor for a flu test and get a prescription ASAP.

My doctor told me to take it in the drugstore parking lot, so that's exactly what I did. It was a world of difference from the last time I'd had the flu, sometime in the 90s.

Also, FYI: If you get the flu, especially early, you should still get a flu vaccine. It's possible to get multiple strains of the flu.

Honored Contributor

If you are going to be around kids or large groups of people / work / transportation ... more chances of catching something.  Early flu shot probably is the best ... but doesn't guarantee you won't get sick. 

Kids are the worst carriers.  

Honored Contributor

Got my flu shot yesterday. Got the high dose for my age of 71. I've gotten flu shots since the time they were available. I've never had the flu and I've never had so much as a cold.

Honored Contributor

Call your doctor and let him know that you were exposed to  confirmed cases of the flu and you aren't feeling well now.  He can give you that Tamiflu.  

Respected Contributor

Got my flu shot this week.  After reading about the early cases already, I decided not to wait til October, as I usually do.

I’m 65, so got the higher dosage one.  Also got my first pneumonia shot....she told me next year I will get another, then will be done for life.  That shot made my arm very sore, and I had pain in my shoulders and upper back for a couple days.  But...I consider it well worth some discomfort.

Trusted Contributor

Instead of waiting until mid October this year, I got mine this week also.