Respected Contributor

WW fires 4,000 employees in a Zoom call. No severance.

Horrible treatment of employees. E-mails were deleted so no one cold reply.

Google the topic. Every link I use is not working.

Respected Contributor

Re: WW fires 4,000 employees in a Zoom call. No severance.

Wonder where Oprah was ?

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

I was an early member (and lifetime member) of WW back in the day with the original program.  I was even a "leader" after my daughter was born and I wanted to share the WW message of success with others like myself.

Through the years there have been many changes with every aspect of WW.  When Oprah got involved I carefully monitored how the "brand" was evolving.

Then Mindy Grossman left HSN to take the helm at WW.

I got the sense that a "corporate" attitude might be trying to increase the bottom line at the expense of the essential "core value" of "human compassion and connection" WW always prided itself in creating.

This latest development is very disheartening and outrageous for many reasons, not the least of which is that Jean Neidich (sp?) the founder, would likely be horrified at the apparent harshness and indifference to the well being of employees these layoffs suggest.  

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder who got fired...the leaders and weigh clerks...now known as what...wellness coach and wellness guides?  No meetings...they aren't working. Surprised it didn't happen before now, honestly. 

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

What is WW?

Regular Contributor

Weight Watchers

Esteemed Contributor

Not surprised. After Covid the people who were attending meetings in person probably transitioned to the cheaper online version thus no need for in person meetings. WW changes things around to much. They say you can eat anything you want but better think twice about that cookie because your points will be severely limited if you eat it. I used to go several years ago and got sick of getting nothing out of the meetings that I didn't already know and paying close to $50 a month only to be told to eat chicken and fish and lots of veggies. .

Esteemed Contributor

I have never cared for Weight Watchers.

I am sorry that people will be loosing their jobs.

But as for the business itself?

If this pandemic and sheltering in place has shown anything, it's that meetings are old school and not necessary.

So many FREE weight loss apps out there where there is ZERO requirements to go to a meeting.

Weight Watchers needs to learn that you can't beat free, and that people under a certain age are not interested in going to meetings.

I predict that within ten years WW meetings will be a thing of the past, and will be strictly on line only.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@jlkz Oprah was home counting points...................and her money.

Respected Contributor

Interesting.  I was at an online meeting today and sort of thought there were fewer meetings offered........it was a meeting I don't usually attend so I didn't think anything of having a different leader.  She did mention fewer online meetings. 

We are encouraged to attend as many online meetings as we want...whether it is in our own geographical location or not.  Some folks are trying to do a meeting in "every state" during the pandemic. 

I'll have to check some other venues out......such as our local FB group...to see if anything else was mentioned. 

I got the impression it was a "bottom-line" organization with a veneer of caring to maximize sales, attendence and therefore profit.  Just my opinion - I only started attending this year.