Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Susan Louise  I've always avoided OTC stuff. Never felt any of that could possibly be good/safe.

I would encourage you to simply eat healthy going forward. You've changed your old patterns and should be able to branch out from there. Have never believed in diets of any kind.  

@BirkiLady  Well, the sad part is that DH and I wished that we knew how awesome eating a low carb/keto lifestyle was to our health we would have started much sooner...like in grade school! Unfortunately, at an early age everyone is 'programmed' about the food pyramid which in reality is upside down.

Our bodies slowly couldn't handle all the carbs anymore...period.

DH and I have never felt better in our lives omitting carbs...sugars/grains/pasta/etc. Funny how the gov/pharma/health institutes push it when in reality it helps create the epidemic of so many folks becoming diabetic.

I also think you have read many posts of mine that I also had gone through many health issues back to back starting with lung cancer. Up until that point I managed to be a size 8 til then.

I'll never be in an 8 again, but will reach being in a size 12 by the end of the year. I'm proud of my husband too. He also had many health issues back to back.

Neither of us are ashamed to have been overweight. We know what we have been through and we came out the other side healthier.

We plan on living the fabulous low carb/keto lifestyle the rest of our lives Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I'm so happy that you've finally realized a healthy diet is filled with natural foods (i.e. fruits, veggies, nuts, legumes, etc.)  Mom never fixed casseroles, so neither did I. Guess most of us cook similar to our environment.

I do grill chicken breasts (without the skin) and 4-6 oz. salmon filets all year round with half a sweet potato (plain) and asperagas.  

Haven't seen the "food pyramid" in decades, but imagine it was utilized for schools and other institutions for economy reasons. Most of it is filled with "filling foods", yet I find fruits and veggies last longer in my system than any pasta dish! 

Beef is simply too heavy in my stomach. Don't know how we managed to eat those filets many years ago. Have never liked anything with hamburger or rich desserts (probably because my mom didn't either). Preferred fruit over sweets any day.  Another environmental thing. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

You know life causes a lot of disease and illness.  People who are out in the sun a lot, people who have to lift heavy things in their work routine, people who are around varnishes and paints, dust and things like that.

Especially poor people in menial jobs are exposed to a lot and their joints get worked to pain and injury.

Not everyone can avoid dust and pollution and hard labor, and many are genetically vulnerable, or injured on the job.

People sometimes just get worn out and worked to death.  There is a lot of life some of us don't consider often.  Oddly enough, it isn't a perfect world. 

But the one thing that connects every living human on Earth?

Food. 

@sidsmom Yes.  It can connect us but it can't protect us from lots of things.  It is no magic answer; it is no sure thing. People who have a hard life can't eat a certain way and get a pass on everything. 

Food is a third world problem for a lot of people in the "first" world. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

You know life causes a lot of disease and illness.  People who are out in the sun a lot, people who have to lift heavy things in their work routine, people who are around varnishes and paints, dust and things like that.

Especially poor people in menial jobs are exposed to a lot and their joints get worked to pain and injury.

Not everyone can avoid dust and pollution and hard labor, and many are genetically vulnerable, or injured on the job.

People sometimes just get worn out and worked to death.  There is a lot of life some of us don't consider often.  Oddly enough, it isn't a perfect world. 

But the one thing that connects every living human on Earth?

Food. 

@sidsmom Yes.  It can connect us but it can't protect us from lots of things.  It is no magic answer; it is no sure thing. People who have a hard life can't eat a certain way and get a pass on everything. 

Food is a third world problem for a lot of people in the "first" world. 

The biggest thing killing people today is the Over-Abundance of Food.

Heart Disease, Obesity, Diabetes....all these are food-related conditions.

It used to be a first world problem, but the cheap processing of

food is seeping over to under-developed countries...making these 

conditions a world-wide epidemic. 

Eating a ‘certain way’ is the cheapest, most healthiest way on earth.

‘Peasant’ food has historically been for the hard-working...who were

the healthiest. 

Trusted Contributor

Oh no! I give generic Zantac to my dog daily to prevent hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). She's been on it for a couple of years now. Last bout of HGE almost did her in. Knock on wood, it seems to be preventing another seige, but I'll call the vet to see if she can discontinue it.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Valued Contributor

My husband takes pepcid ac and it has always worked for him . You can buy it over the counter [it used to be a prescription med] . He has never had any problems with it . One chewable pill lasts 12 hours . I don't think pepcid was included in that report. 

cathy from ma.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

And by the way, that's what the heck!

I was scrolling thru the news and came across-

FDA finds contaminants in popular anti-acid drugs. Namely a chemical

that causes cancer. So zantac and generics just like some of the high blood pressure drugs they recently took off the market.

I first heard in these forums that our rx drugs are manufactured in China.

this article (and I forget what website but you can google the subject) said that 80% of the ingredients in US drugs both rx and over the counter are made in India or China.

It reported that the FDA is "struggling" to monitor and inspect all these ingredients since they were sourced overseas to be made cheaper with cheaper labor costs.

I never knew that most of our medicines were made in India or China. It seems every day there is some kind of recall both in food and medicines. 

Well, I guess one more crazy thing to try not to worry about!😕

But as I hear breaking news here first

(thanks fellow postersSmiley Happy, I did want to alert people who may take anti-acids.

@on the bay  Also, most anti-acids contain Aluminum hydroxide which causes alzheimer's. They’ve known this for some time and still don’t remove it.

Honored Contributor

@Ketra -

Yes and aluminum is used as an additive in vaccines. Fda claims it is not in a harmful amount, yet they can't really test that on babies or children can they?

It is kind of shocking the harmful things that are still allowed in our food, medicine, cosmetics and personal care items.

Things that Europe has banned for years.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Ketra -

Yes and aluminum is used as an additive in vaccines. Fda claims it is not in a harmful amount, yet they can't really test that on babies or children can they?

It is kind of shocking the harmful things that are still allowed in our food, medicine, cosmetics and personal care items.

Things that Europe has banned for years.

@on the bay  I guess it will ensue we don’t put too much stress on the Social Security, Medicare, and retirement systems. Lol!

Honored Contributor

Not everyone is able to eliminate a symptom or condition so they can stop taking a medication for it. Oh, if it were only that simple!