Super Contributor

Just remembered that Costco issues flu shots  I think I paid $20 a couple of years ago when I was between jobs (and between health coverage).  You don't even have to be a member, just tell them at the door that you're going to the pharmacy, and you're in!!!  

Honored Contributor

Isn't the flu shot covered by Medicare?  I got mine at Walgreens -- no charge.  For the newer shingles shot I paid $20. for the first one and I'm assuming the second shot will be the same.  Worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

This morning I went to  our "new" Walgreens,formally Rite Aid for my flu shot like I have been doing every yr  since flu shots began

After waiting a hour while the guy put info into his computer ,he guy says he  couldn't find my records  so he denied me the flu shot....lol

If he couldn't find me,why did he ask if I would like him to fax my info to my dr???

I have been getting flu shots there for years! With no problems.  I'm 82 a senior citizen. I live very near the store so I go there  every yr.

But even if I was new there,aren't flu shots given to everyone.He had my Medicare card /number.............????

Did he think i was a flu shot junkie??? dying for a fix!

In anycase,I  angrly tore up all the papers I filled out ,(threw them on the floor)  left  and went to my Dr for my shot.

Cost me $30  cab fare !!!  Smiley Sad

Needless to say I reported the store to corperate headquaters.They are looking into it!

So you threw a tantrum?

Wow! 

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Calgal2too wrote:

If he couldn't find you in the system, why didn't he just ENTER you in the system?  Sounds like a teachable moment.

For what it's worth, I heard on the news the other day, that it's better to wait until November-ish for a flu shot anyway, as it's only fully effective for 90-120 days.  

That's what my doctor said yesterday.  I asked if I could get my flu shot and she said to wait another month.  It's too early now.

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle   Yes, I've wondered why so many people get them in September, since the height of the flu season isn't until January-February.  I'd rather be protected then.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

That’s crazy. Over the past few years, I’ve gotten my flu shots at Rite Aid, Walgreens, and a local northeast chain, Kinney Drug. I was never denied and never charged since I am on Medicare. I suspect the original poster was dealing with an idiot.

Honored Contributor

That's bizarre.  Even if he couldn't find your record, so what?  He should have had you complete the paper work and proceed as if it was your first time.  It sounds like he was new and couldn't use the computer system and didnt understand the process.  Yes, you should complain to the corporate office and also to the CVS store manager.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

That’s crazy. Over the past few years, I’ve gotten my flu shots at Rite Aid, Walgreens, and a local northeast chain, Kinney Drug. I was never denied and never charged since I am on Medicare. I suspect the original poster was dealing with an idiot.

@Vivian 

ohhh thank you so much ,Vivian.......some seem to think I am hiding something.........lol  

i have gotten my flu shot there for  many years, never  hadaproblem....lol..What could I be hiding............lol.......i am an 82 yr old senior citizen,that just  went for a yearly flu shot... ...lol  I didn't have to post my story here...lol

Honored Contributor

I don't know about Medicare since I'm not there yet.  Is it accepted at all drug store chains?  I know I used to be a Rite Aid customer, but when Walgreens bought them MY insurance would no longer allow me to go there (Rite Aid), but I COULD go to a Walgreens or CVS.  I think that now that they have completed their transformation I can now go to Walgreens, but I haven't bothered to change my scripts over from Publix.  

Speaking of Publix, they have a promo going on now for vaccinations.  Get a vaccinaton and they give you a $10 Publix gift card.  I got one when I got my 2nd shingles vaccination.  

I would expect any pharmacy that accepts your form of insurance would give you the shot whether you are in their system or not.  But, I haven't gotten a flu shot since I was old enough to make my own decisions about it.

Respected Contributor

He made a mistake & I understand your frustration but what others are pointing out (including me) is you didn't handle it well. There's no need to do what you did in the store but a big thumbs up for calling corporate, that was the right thing to do so it doesn't happen to anyone else.