Honored Contributor

Re: WOMEN SHOULD "SIT LIKE A MAN" TO AVOID HIP, KNEE PROBLEMS

So I might not have problems? I don't cross my legs & never did much. I guess I already sit like a man. It's more comfy. LOL!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Men sit that way do for a reason.  I can't see myself sitting that way but I don't cross my legs when I sit, just keep my feet planted firmly on the floor.  

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Men sit the way do for a reason.  

@Lindsays Grandma 

As a Male, that reason is?  I don't usually sit for long spells, but when I do it invariably comes to the point where some portion of my legs are crossed/bent/straight or spread. Whatever that reason might be, it does not apply to this male.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

My Father had bad habit of crossing his legs come to think of it.  He had spinal stenosis lumbar really badly late in life and was not a candidate for surgery with his other health issues.  But he would do the crossing of his legs....and as he would switch from side to side...gasping in so much pain from doing it!  I would tell him gently not to but it was a long standing habit so he didn't listen to anyone about anything.  

I catch myself doing it and stop and correct myself....my chrio told me long ago not to do that.  

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma 

As a Male, that reason is?  I don't usually sit for long spells, but when I do it invariably comes to the point where some portion of my legs are crossed/bent/straight or spread. Whatever that reason might be, it does not apply to this male.

hckynut

@hckynut ...Look at pictures of men sitting, notice that their legs are usually spread apart and 99% of the time not together.  Why you ask?  It is because of what is between their legs, even my doctor had that discussion with me.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma 

"Look at pictures"? Not necessary as I worked with only men for most of my 33 years at the factory. Couple that with running my adult hockey league(maybe 2 females over those decades) for 52 years/being a ref for 30 years. This involved many more hours in smelly locker rooms than I care to remember, and working in a hot and dirty cable plant which involved changing clothes.

"It is because of what is between their legs"?  Yes, maybe when wearing protection for what is between their legs(called a j**k strap) because of its sheer bulk. But in general every day sitting, each man finds his own comfort. For me your description is not mine, and from my experiences, maybe at best 50/50 of the men I have been around.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I'm trying not to cross my legs. Took a 23andme test and the only thing it showed was higher risk for blood clots in my legs.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma 

hckynut

@hckynut ...Look at pictures of men sitting, notice that their legs are usually spread apart and 99% of the time not together.  Why you ask?  It is because of what is between their legs, even my doctor had that discussion with me.

@Lindsays Grandma 

You are correct. DH is always saying don't know how a guy can sit like that since it mushes them. LOL!!!

I always sit like a man but who cares it's more comfy plus I always have pants on. I would not sit like that if I had a dress on but I don't wear them.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma 

"Look at pictures"? Not necessary as I worked with only men for most of my 33 years at the factory. Couple that with running my adult hockey league(maybe 2 females over those decades) for 52 years/being a ref for 30 years. This involved many more hours in smelly locker rooms than I care to remember, and working in a hot and dirty cable plant which involved changing clothes.

"It is because of what is between their legs"?  Yes, maybe when wearing protection for what is between their legs(called a j**k strap) because of its sheer bulk. But in general every day sitting, each man finds his own comfort. For me your description is not mine, and from my experiences, maybe at best 50/50 of the men I have been around.

hckynut

@hckynut   Take a look at the recent post from Nightowlz, honest,  I'm not making this up.  Woman Very Happy 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It definitely feels better when I do not cross my legs when sitting. I only cross them if I’m wearing a dress and I’m not covered by a desk or a long skirt. I wear pants 95%of the time, so I rarely cross my legs.

I read a few more articles which discussed Dr. Bergen’s philosophy on this. I also went to her office’s website to read anything she has written about this issue and then I went to her blog. I also tried to read the Washington Post article that is referenced in the link but it’s behind a pay wall.

Dr. Bergen decided this was a good idea from her personal sitting experience. Remember that this is not a research based recommendation. This doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea. I think she’s on to something.