Honored Contributor

Re: WHY people are so mean ???

Mass society and stress certainly figure into feelings of anger...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

There are mean people in all phases of society.  People bully, hurt others verbally, think by being rude and obnoxious they will impress someone, are mean because of inner issues within themselves.    

Social media adds to being mean because you can do it without being face to face with the person or persons..  It is much easier for cowards and people with anger issues to go online and be mean knowing they will reach their target and not have to face that person.  Social media without a doubt gives a voice to a lot of sick people as we have witnessed I'm sure.  

As to why people are mean whether it be in person or through social media boils down to lack of manners, value systems, anger issues, no respect for anyone including themselves.  It is one thing to speak out, it is another to say it in a way you are hurting or putting others down.

Respected Contributor

I think since you can be "unknown" posting on forums this may make people who normally would behave (at least in person) politely to let their inner desires to lash out or as you say be mean come right out.  

Society and tV programming seems to support this behavior also...many shows reality types want more fighting name calling brawling...hateful angry outbursts and so on for ratings.  And sadly many people are more like sheep...one leader and many follow them right off the cliff.

Respected Contributor

Re: WHY people are so mean ???@@

@Othereeeen------I wish I could give you 1,000 hearts.....I have never 

agreed more with a post on these threads.....

Esteemed Contributor

@twentysixteen wrote:

Why are people so mean to each other? Is it the internet and social media or what?

Because that's the way they are...........there's a lot of mean people in the world - are you just now noticing?

Honored Contributor

Constipation and Anonymity.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Constipation and Anonymity.

@deepwaterdotter  *spews coffee*

ROTFLMBO!

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@twentysixteen wrote:

Why are people so mean to each other? Is it the internet and social media or what?

@twentysixteen  Did something happen to you?

If we keep focusing on all the mean people we miss out on the uplift we can get by focusing on good people.

"Mean people" is very, very subjective, imo.

VERY subjective @Cakers3. I never cease to be amazed at the fragility of many people. EVERYTHING is a perceived insult, mean or bullying . What happened to the strong women who were supposed to be part of the new generation and when did men become girlie-girls ? A society of " Why are you being mean to me ?" As I've told my kids and they tell theirs.....stop whining, get over it and move on !

@Danky

I'm really not clear as to which generation of strong women you are referring to.   And what supposedly makes a man a so-called "girlie girl"?   

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@twentysixteen wrote:

@twentysixteen  Did something happen to you?

If we keep focusing on all the mean people we miss out on the uplift we can get by focusing on good people.

"Mean people" is very, very subjective, imo.

VERY subjective @Cakers3. I never cease to be amazed at the fragility of many people. EVERYTHING is a perceived insult, mean or bullying . What happened to the strong women who were supposed to be part of the new generation and when did men become girlie-girls ? A society of " Why are you being mean to me ?" As I've told my kids and they tell theirs.....stop whining, get over it and move on !

@Danky

I'm really not clear as to which generation of strong women you are referring to.   And what supposedly makes a man a so-called "girlie girl"?   

@Tinkrbl44  Wearing a man-bun? 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Hi @Cakers3-----to me it is not a matter of life being fair. It is all of the life lessons and skills that are lost because of overreactionary behaviour on the part of society. 

If children are being teased , for example, they should have help in developing skills to deal with it not run to "authority" because "Johnny called me a Bozo". There were a lot of growing up lessons learned when children were "allowed" to engage in school yard scuffles.....now the police are called.