Respected Contributor

Re: WHY people are so mean ???

Danky I agree with you....

But it's because I think the pendulum has swung completely to the end of it's arc in the OTHER direction of civility and decorum and common sense.

Sometimes I wonder what society will be like in 20 years from now with today's kids being so "fragile" .... ( Sarcasm light is ON)...

Sheeeesh....if I had been brought up like today's kids, I'd be dead.

Afraid of everything, allergic to everything, "shamed" for what they have brought for lunch from home ( my Mom rest in peace would have a big laugh over that-she used to pick the carcass of the whole chicken we had for dinner free of every little piece of meat and make sandwiches the next day!!! Ummm they were GOOOOD!!!!)

Can't walk alone anywhere, can't stay out after dark, need a "safe place" for everything, "trigger" warnings in case you get insulted(!!!), completely sanitized language, dumbed-down school curriculum so no one needs to exert too much on studying, trophies for everyone.

No wonder people are so "mean" online. In REAL life they are stifled to death on what NOT to say, think, dress, eat, drive, etc.....

It's like a Passive/Aggressive paradise online.

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Danky I agree with you....

But it's because I think the pendulum has swung completely to the end of it's arc in the OTHER direction of civility and decorum and common sense.

Sometimes I wonder what society will be like in 20 years from now with today's kids being so "fragile" .... ( Sarcasm light is ON)...

Sheeeesh....if I had been brought up like today's kids, I'd be dead.

Afraid of everything, allergic to everything, "shamed" for what they have brought for lunch from home ( my Mom rest in peace would have a big laugh over that-she used to pick the carcass of the whole chicken we had for dinner free of every little piece of meat and make sandwiches the next day!!! Ummm they were GOOOOD!!!!)

Can't walk alone anywhere, can't stay out after dark, need a "safe place" for everything, "trigger" warnings in case you get insulted(!!!), completely sanitized language, dumbed-down school curriculum so no one needs to exert too much on studying, trophies for everyone.

No wonder people are so "mean" online. In REAL life they are stifled to death on what NOT to say, think, dress, eat, drive, etc.....

It's like a Passive/Aggressive paradise online.

@OthereeeenGood point. 

Also this world is much more fast paced with instant gratification expected to be the norm.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@twentysixteen wrote:

Why are people so mean to each other? Is it the internet and social media or what?

@twentysixteen     This may answer your question

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-big-questions/201306/why-are-people-mean-part-1

Esteemed Contributor

There are several reasons:

- The internet & social media allow people to hide behind their devices & avoid face to face contact.

- Basic values have changed.Parents don't seem to be taking the time to teach their kids how to treat others.I notice this in my son's friends. Some of them are callous & disrespectful. My son is a polite & thoughtful young man because he was taught to be!!

- People seem to be lazy but yet feel entitled!! Their jealous of other people's successes.

- There is no longer a sense of community. It seems that it's every person for themselves.Survival of the fittest seems to be the norm.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

Because they don't have to face consequences from face to face interactions with people...

@Bri36   @twentysixteen

The anonymity of the internet certainly contributes,  IMO.  People have no idea who they are talking to.  In traffic, I think it's the stress and crowds .... and all that entails.    

I remember reading a scientific study about how animals react with hostility when they are crowded together in spaces too small for the number of them present.  Then they compared that to the population of the continental United States.   Presumably, based on resources,  the "ideal" number of Americans living here would be about 150 million people.   The population of the United States is now somewhere around 308 million people.  

I don't know about anyone else here, but I hate being in crowds all the time.  However, the whole world is overpopulated, and that certainly doesn't help.  JMO

Occasional Contributor

People have always been mean. Lack of humility, ungratefulness and the inability to mind one's own business have gotten out of control.

Stress, addictions, low self-esteem, lack of guidance from parents, entitlement, and access to social media have brought this to the forefront.

Honored Contributor

Define 'mean'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Some people are just mean.  Who knows why.  Some are just nice and loving.  Look at the Housewives, and all the reality shows.  They get paid for this havoc.  Others see it and think it's acceptable.  

What happened to Love one another?  Which role model do we see as how to behave?  They make t.v. shows out of bad behavior.  This is what people are thinking is the norm. We need to not watch those things, they aren't real. 

Bingo!  TV shows with outrageous, ridiculous behavior seem to have become the norm to draw viewers and ratings.  And even though we know this isn't reality people (especially younger ones) start to assimulate this type of behavior and attitude.

Super Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@twentysixteen wrote:

Why are people so mean to each other? Is it the internet and social media or what?

@twentysixteen  Did something happen to you?

If we keep focusing on all the mean people we miss out on the uplift we can get by focusing on good people.

"Mean people" is very, very subjective, imo.

No nothing specific to me. Like I answered Kachina on the first page, "mean" in general. Grouchy angry people driving their cars or at the store or online seem to be more now than before. imho 

Ita very subjective.

thanks for the great posts everybody! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@twentysixteen wrote:

@twentysixteen  Did something happen to you?

If we keep focusing on all the mean people we miss out on the uplift we can get by focusing on good people.

"Mean people" is very, very subjective, imo.

VERY subjective @Cakers3. I never cease to be amazed at the fragility of many people. EVERYTHING is a perceived insult, mean or bullying . What happened to the strong women who were supposed to be part of the new generation and when did men become girlie-girls ? A society of " Why are you being mean to me ?" As I've told my kids and they tell theirs.....stop whining, get over it and move on !

@DankyI understand the premise in your last sentence but I also think it is important to get the perspective from the other side, too.

Kids are notorious for feeling picked on by parents as it is, so a bit of dialogue wouldn't hurt?  However, if they feel somebody outside of the family unit is being mean then I see that as a good opportunity to find out what is going on at school or wherever.

Whining over wanting a new pair of shoes that isn't in the budget is a far cry from "whining" about being bullied, e.g.

I do agree that kids need to understand that life is not "fair" but also they have choices in determining their own perceptions.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh