Honored Contributor

Re: WHY people are so mean ???

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I think you have a good point there.  By the mere fact that people are "hidden" so to speak, I think it emboldens some to say things which they would not normally say face to face.  In a way, I think they feel --- not responsible--- kind of like they can say whatever they feel like saying and not be held accountable.

As for other reasons, I think there has always and will always be mean people in the world.  Some, because they are a product of their environment.  They have been treated badly, they have witnessed bad things and mean acts and so they just perpetuate the cycle.  Some, are just born mean, I feel.  No matter how great the parents and family situation, they still turn out badly.

Also, I blame some of it on the way of the world.  Family values have slipped.  Focus is turning away from family, religion, work ethics, etc.  

Treat others as you want to be treated --- you can't go wrong there! 

***************  I agree with everything you say, especially the last three sentences.  We are becoming lovers of ourselves....if it feels good...do it...doesn't matter who it hurts.  It's a lack of love and good will towards all our fellow men and women.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not sure. I see people I am friends with fighting about everything on Facebook. The things they say to strangers are mind blowing. I chalk it up to them just being angry or trying to be a hard A** on the internet. half entertaining (because most of what they spout isn't true) and half scary and mostly hypocritical.

I imagine people wouldn't say half of what they say if it were face to face.

Honored Contributor

life's pressures. You got people raising kids that shouldn't be raising a gerbil.

jealousy, poverty, Lost faith in politicians, movies that tell you it's dog eat dog

world. 

Never gonna change.

Honored Contributor

Generally I think people who feel entitled tend to be the meanies.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the anonymity of the internet has brought out the worst in people. What's more, that meanness has leached out into public discourse. Some have no internal censors and feel that their self-perceived importance gives them the right to express whatever obnoxious, hate-filled ideas come into their selfie-filled heads. The word "civility" has no meaning to them.

Respected Contributor

Because they don't have to face consequences from face to face interactions with people...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

And yet....in 1970 ( 47 years ago!!)The Tempations sang:

"Ball of Confusion"...Listen to it on YouTube!!!!

Could have been written TODAY. Nothing seems to change, which is a sad commentary. Just a different way of distributing HURTFULNESS.

"People moving out, people moving in
Why? Because of the color of their skin
Run, run, run but you sure can't hide
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth
Vote for me and I'll set you free
Rap on, brother, rap on

Well, the only person talking about love thy brother is the preacher
And it seems nobody's interested in learning but the teacher
Segregation, determination, demonstration, integration
Aggravation, humiliation, obligation to my nation

Ball of confusion
Oh yeah, that's what the world is today
Woo, hey, hey

The sale of pills are at an all time high
Young folks walking round with their heads in the sky
The cities ablaze in the summer time
And oh, the beat goes on

Evolution, revolution, gun control, sound of soul
Shooting rockets to the moon, kids growing up too soon
Politicians say more taxes will solve everything
And the band played on

So, round and around and around we go
Where the world's headed, said nobody knows
Oh, great Googamooga
Can't you hear me talking to you?

Just a ball of confusion
Oh yeah, that's what the world is today..."

I'm 61. Bet a lot of folks my age remember this song.

Honored Contributor

@twentysixteen wrote:

Why are people so mean to each other? Is it the internet and social media or what?

@twentysixteen  Did something happen to you?

If we keep focusing on all the mean people we miss out on the uplift we can get by focusing on good people.

"Mean people" is very, very subjective, imo.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@twentysixteen wrote:

Why are people so mean to each other? Is it the internet and social media or what?

@twentysixteen  Did something happen to you?

If we keep focusing on all the mean people we miss out on the uplift we can get by focusing on good people.

"Mean people" is very, very subjective, imo.

VERY subjective @Cakers3. I never cease to be amazed at the fragility of many people. EVERYTHING is a perceived insult, mean or bullying . What happened to the strong women who were supposed to be part of the new generation and when did men become girlie-girls ? A society of " Why are you being mean to me ?" As I've told my kids and they tell theirs.....stop whining, get over it and move on !