@Bri36 wrote:

Why was this thread moved to Wellness?

Maybe Beth was hoping we wouldn't find it😄

@Bri36

@tansy

hahaha

Honored Contributor

Re: WHY people are so mean ???

People have always been mean, some people.  Not everyone.  People have also always been happy and sad and kind and scared and funny and evil and excited and tired and hungry....because people are people.   If you were trying to a specific point about someone or some event in particular, just come out and say it.  

Respected Contributor

@twentysixteenI think people are more stressed than ever.  A lot of people have been stuck economically for the last 30 years.  Some millenials have to claw just to get a place in society.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@twentysixteenI think people are more stressed than ever.  A lot of people have been stuck economically for the last 30 years.  Some millenials have to claw just to get a place in society.

Lots of people have had to "claw" just to get a decent place to live and food on the table,  nevermind a "place in society".   Millenials don't have a monopoly on that. 

People who struggle all of their lives aren't any meaner than some who coast by in comfort.  Not in my experience, anyway.  

Honored Contributor

Maybe Beth moved this thread to Wellness because she thought someone might suggest that the meanies get more fiber.

Valued Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

Lots of people have had to "claw" just to get a decent place to live and food on the table,  nevermind a "place in society".   Millenials don't have a monopoly on that. 

People who struggle all of their lives aren't any meaner than some who coast by in comfort.  Not in my experience, anyway.  

@QueenDanceALot I agree.  

I think people are no different now.  There are all types of people and personalities.  Struggling does not make someone mean.  

There are more people in the world, a larger population. Social Media provides another outlet.  (Social Media, IMHO, has little to no positive benefits.)

We can choose to ignore the mean, the negative and focus on positive.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

60's and 50's and it was wonderful Woman Wink  at least that's what I remember.

@qualitygal

Not too wonderful for people who weren't allowed to use the same restroom as other people, or water fountain, or sti at the same lunch counters or in the front of the bus.

That might be considered mean.

And not so wonderful.

Oh, I knew that would come up, that is why I said, "at least that's what I remember".   

No matter how much wishing you and others might do, @qualitygal, we're not going back to those times.  

I'm answering a question, not asking to go back in time.  Someone asked when people seemed to still be kind to each other.  I was answering that question, but once again, someone picks up a little something and makes something else out of it.  I was very young during those times.  I wasn't unaware of things going on in the national news, I was just a kid and a lot of that hate wasn't in my life. So I stand by my answer.  Off the rails once again, no wonder people are leaving the boards in droves.  @tansy

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

60's and 50's and it was wonderful Woman Wink  at least that's what I remember.

@qualitygal

Not too wonderful for people who weren't allowed to use the same restroom as other people, or water fountain, or sti at the same lunch counters or in the front of the bus.

That might be considered mean.

And not so wonderful.

Oh, I knew that would come up, that is why I said, "at least that's what I remember".   

No matter how much wishing you and others might do, @qualitygal, we're not going back to those times.  

I'm answering a question, not asking to go back in time.  Someone asked when people seemed to still be kind to each other.  I was answering that question, but once again, someone picks up a little something and makes something else out of it.  I was very young during those times.  I wasn't unaware of things going on in the national news, I was just a kid and a lot of that hate wasn't in my life. So I stand by my answer.  Off the rails once again, no wonder people are leaving the boards in droves.  @tansy

@qualitygal

"A little something"?

I (the "someone" you reference) didn't ask when people "seemed to be" kind to each other.  I asked when they actually WERE kinder to each other

Reality is important..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We can only talk about our own individual childhood experiences, good or bad.   I grew up in a blended neighborhood without a lot of wealthy neighbors.  Mostly working lower middle and also very near gov assisted living neighbors.  Actually, most of our parents were very fruegal and there wasn't much (if any) difference (food and clothing-wise, etc.) among all of us. We all got along so well, we really didn't even notice anything 'bad' going on (if any) at all.  I had many nice, helpful friends and neighbors in those days.  Looking back, we were all the same  respect-wise, as it should be.   .......... 'All-in-all', each of the posters are probably only recalling their individual environments: where they lived, etc.  Some situations were good, others were very, very bad.  We learn various histories from one another.  Times were good and times were bad.  Plenty of time now to make our present experiences decent and safe.  It all begins with the individual. Spread around kindness now. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@sassenach1 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@QueenDanceALot I agree.  

I think people are no different now.  There are all types of people and personalities.  Struggling does not make someone mean.  

There are more people in the world, a larger population. Social Media provides another outlet.  (Social Media, IMHO, has little to no positive benefits.)

We can choose to ignore the mean, the negative and focus on positive.  

I think people are very different now. Society has degenerated into vulgarity, unchecked child abuse, and immorality.

@sfnative  I hear you.