Honored Contributor

Re: WHEN YOUR PHYSICIAN RETIRES ...

@Tinkrbl44....good luck getting a new doctor.  My doctor retired about 5 years ago....and I could not get into another doctor in the same practice!  I eventually found a Nurse Practicioner that I liked so I have stuck with her.

I could not belive after 30 years of seeing the same doctor I could not get into some one with in the practice.

When I called again just to double check the waiting list to get into a new doctor, the wait list  was 9 months!!!

Honored Contributor

I had a dentist retire.  He was my mother's dentist and she took my sister and I along.  Started seeing him when I was 5.  He retired when I was in my mind 30's.  Got a letter in the mail saying he had retired and my files were moved to another dentist.  I could go there or get my files from them.  I went there.  The dentist passed away a couple weeks after the letter.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

I've had three doctors retire in the past few years.  My OBGYN was part of a large practice, and I just transferred to another doctor in the practice, so no problem there. 

My primary care doctor was in a two person practice.  In the course of about 6 months, one doctor was diagnosed with liver cancer and declined fast, and my doctor developed a very debilitating illness and closed the practice with no prior notice.  The staff called and notified us.  They gave us our records and prescriptions for 6 months of any ongoing meds.  That gave us time to find a new doctor.  I felt it was all handled as well as could be expected under the circumstances.

The third doctor who retired was my beloved ENT.  He was in a group practice, so I guess I'll see someone else in that practice if and when I need an ENT. 

I'm sorry for how poorly you were treated by your gyn.  That's inexcusable!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Several yrs ago, I made some index cards to record all my exams (eyes, mammograms, pap, etc.). I recently started keeping records of any Rx I get.  Mainly, to keep track myself (since my memory might fade), & you never know about physicians these days. Computers are not always reliable,lol

I'm "old school" I like to keep some things on paper!

Honored Contributor

I have had several drs retire or move out of state; I got a letter and was told my records were being forwarded to another practice and was sent a hippa form to sign. I hate choosing a new dr!
Honored Contributor

I recently got a letter from my GYN saying she was about to retire. She gave me the name and information on another MD who is ready to take me on as a patient. She also said I could always choose someone else if I preferred.

Honored Contributor

Most doctors try to sell their practice and the new doctor just comes in & takes over.

Valued Contributor

I think that is very upsetting and poor practice.  Anytime one of my doctors has moved or retired or changed practices I've been notified.  I think that was very unprofessional and I feel sorry for you!!!

Honored Contributor

My Dr. and his partner (I saw when Dr. J. was not available) both retired at the same time.  Big huge going away party one afternoon at their office for all to come and say goodbye.  I walked in and put both my hands on Dr. J's cheeks looked him in the eyes and just cried and never said a word.  He started tearing up and then I turned and walked out.  Saw him from the age of 15 to 45 but I went all through school with his children and so the history is there.  The hard part is adjusting even after 10 years to the other younger partners that were brought in right before the two retired.  I could not imagine finding out with a disconnected phone or just a call to come pick up your records.

I still go to the same office and Dr. J. and Dr. M.'s huge portraits are proudly displaying in the lobby while their now aging protegees practice on. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."