Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT MY PODIATRIST SAID ABOUT POLISH ON OUR TOE NAILS

@MomCat wrote:

I've always understood that the only problem with leaving polish on too long is the inability to spot issues happening on the nails.  Not that the polish itself causes problems.  However, I am in total agreement with being careful in choosing the salons.  I actually prefer to do my own.

@MomCatI rest my toes from polish a week or two here & there over the winter, but in spring/summer, all bets are off...bring on the wild, unexpected colors.

Honored Contributor

I don't believe him about the polish.  I do think there are risks for infections and fungi in some nail shops but I do not believe that leaving polish on for longer than 3 weeks in one of those risks.  That just sounds silly to me.

Honored Contributor

I've been getting mani pedi's at a salon for many years.  I also do it myself.  I typically leave the polish on the toes for a month.  The Dr was probably talking from a best practice standpoint.  I haven't had any issues.

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I've been getting manis and pedis since my early 20's - around 30 years now.  I've never had a fungus or any issue with my nails ever.  

My toe nails have had polish on every single day for as long as I can remember.  

I was just about to post the same.

I mostly do my own manis and pedis.  Fingers and toes have polish all the time, with only (very rare) breaks sometimes of a day or two.  This has been for literally decades, and I've never had a problem of any kind - or fungus anywhere!

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

I've always understood that the only problem with leaving polish on too long is the inability to spot issues happening on the nails.  Not that the polish itself causes problems.  However, I am in total agreement with being careful in choosing the salons.  I actually prefer to do my own.

I prefer to do my own too.  It's not difficult, and I find it relaxing.  It's also nice not having to plan in advance, make an appointment, and go somewhere.  I can do it on a whim, while watching TV, talkng to a friend, whenever I want.  Of course it's also nice not having to pay and not having to worry about sanitary conditions.

The few times I've had manicures in salons they didn't look better or last longer than when I do it myself.  In fact, one very expensive manicure in Atlantic City started chipping the next day.  I've never had a pedicure in a salon.  I have always done my own.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree While leaving polish on for longer than three weeks is not going to cause an infection, removal would allow detection should one be developing. Also, if uv gel polish (or other types of uv gel or acrylic enhancement) isn't properly maintained (for uv gel products, that means removal every 2-3 weeks), there's a couple of other potential issues... Infection could develop under lifted edges, which are less likely to be noticed on the toes. Also, the longer uv cured gel remains on the nails, the more difficult it is to remove. Rather than allowing the product to soak long enough for easy removal, there's more potential for forceful removeal. This increases the likelihood of nail damage, typically surface, but also potentially lifting of the nail plate from the nails bed....which provides a perfect breeding area for infections.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@chrystaltree While leaving polish on for longer than three weeks is not going to cause an infection, removal would allow detection should one be developing. Also, if uv gel polish (or other types of uv gel or acrylic enhancement) isn't properly maintained (for uv gel products, that means removal every 2-3 weeks), there's a couple of other potential issues... Infection could develop under lifted edges, which are less likely to be noticed on the toes. Also, the longer uv cured gel remains on the nails, the more difficult it is to remove. Rather than allowing the product to soak long enough for easy removal, there's more potential for forceful removeal. This increases the likelihood of nail damage, typically surface, but also potentially lifting of the nail plate from the nails bed....which provides a perfect breeding area for infections.

That's all true and customers who go to professional shops for those services are informed about all of that.   Whatever.  People are responsible for their own health isssues.  Certainly 3 week old nail polish isn't causing any infections.....and that is what the original post said.  

Respected Contributor

won't be caught dead without a pedicure.  Not an issue for me and so far I have had no problems.  Bigger troubles to worry about.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@NickNack Thanks for the info. Then why are salons allowed to continue this practice? I do come to the forums to learn. Knowledge is power. 

When I get my nails done, my manicurist only cuts the cuticles if they are raggedy and hanging.  She doesn't routinely cut cuticles, she pushes them back. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

Unlike your beautician, who is licensed and inspected at least annually by the State, the tech and how the business is doing your mani and pedi is NOT inspected by most States. I find that disturbing on so many levels.

When I read that information, I stopped going to manicures and pedicures in the 1980's and began doing my own at home. I felt it was a healthier way; no one with any infection  has used anything before I did. I've never had any health issues with my nails and doubt that it will happen due to the sanitary practices used at home. While working I did polish my nails each week. They grow quickly and needed a weekly manicure and new polish applied. I love a good daily epsom salt bath, which is the perfect time to trim my toe nails when they are soft. When I was forced to go on Disability, I stopped applying the polish and let my nails "rest" while I was trying to regain my own health. My nails didn't need the polish to remain strong and beautiful. Thus, I trim and buff them weekly. Haven't used polish in almost 20 years. My physicians like being able to see my nail beds, which gives them so many clues to my health issues. Happy to obligue! 

Yes, state laws vary. In CA, all nail techs need to be licensed, and have their credentials posted at their desks. 

Same here in Ohio and State Board does come in and inspect.  When I worked in a salon that did nails and hair, both areas were always inspected.  Any nail only salons are also inspected.