Esteemed Contributor

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF LOW BLOOD SUGAR?

I received a call saying that my blood work shows a low blood sugar count of 16 with the norm being 70.  I was asked if I am fasting which I am not, just that I haven't been eating much due to a slight loss of appetite.  Now that my appetite has returned and I am again eating more, I was told that is good and everything should be okay and of course I will be checked again.   Out of curiosity can anyone tell me what the symptoms are? 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF LOW BLOOD SUGAR?

@Lindsays Grandma  I am wondering if there was some miscommunication in your blood sugar resulrs or the test performed. Most people that had a blood sugar level of 16 would be unconscious. But symptoms of low blood sugar are feeling hungry, headache, nervousness, trembling hands, sweating, pale skin, racing heart, feeling confused. If not corrected and blood sugar falls dangerously low, it could lead to a seizure, becoming unconscious, and  possibly death as not enough sugar is getting to the brain to function.. Diabetics are instructed on how to manage a low blood sugar so this will not happen. 

Honored Contributor

I would get headaches so bad I could barely lift my head off the pillow.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma

Was the call from your pharmacist?  Cat WinkCat Surprised

Honored Contributor

I'm a type 1 diabetic. I'm thinking the OP mis-heard 16 and its really 60. I've had extremely low bs episodes in my life and my lowest was 20 and I was almost dead. Having a count of 16 would pretty much prove death.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I would call the nurse or doctors office back....have them tell you your lab value again...just say you forgot to write it down and want to confirm the result!  

Honored Contributor

You do not have a blood sugar of 16 - if you were alive - doubtful - you'd be unconscious in the ICU.

Respected Contributor

@webbgarner1  In addition to the conditions you’ve noted, I would add irritable and light-headed. 

Honored Contributor

With a blood sugar level of 38, I watched my husband walk like he was drunk, spilling his coffee as he took his steps.   With a blood sugar of 35, my daughter was propping him up in bed while I carefully put sugar laced orange juice in his mouth.   He was drenched in sweat, barely able to keep his eyes open and his response to everything I said was “okay”.   

I have only had one low blood sugar episode, and I woke up hot as fire and drenched in sweat.   My blood sugar reading was 57.   I drank half a bottle of coke, and ate a slice of bread with peanut butter to bring it back up to a safe number for the rest of the night.   

If your blood sugar was 16, you would not have been responsive.   

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma

Was the call from your pharmacist?  Cat WinkCat Surprised

No, it was from the PA.  I will be seeing her in a few days and will ask more questions.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam