Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE SEPTEMBER EXERCISE THREAD

@JudyL wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  Welcome!  The first step is always the hardest.  Its great you have set up an exercise area.  Now there's no excuses!  LOL  Go slow and easy and you'll do fine.  

Check in and let us know how you're doing.

@JudyL 

Thanks so much!  I appreciate it!  Yes, for sure --- I will have to go very slow --- it's been a long time!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to call my Dr. and get an appointment to talk to him.
Honored Contributor

Good morning, everybody.

I’m sitting here debating whether to go to my health center and workout.  There is a holiday schedule so I’m not sure what will be happening.  I didn’t go in Saturday which would have been my time to check.

@Jinlei, welcome to the group!  I have knee issues like you and it’s a constant debate as to what exercise will help versus what will exacerbate the problem (arthritis in both knees, especially the right one which is almost bone to bone).    I also get knee injections....will be getting another on September 30th.

I agree that you should discuss types of exercises you can do.  He/she will probably give you a copy of some ‘safe’ exercises to try.  They may or maybe not work for you.  You have to learn by the process of elimination.  Lunges and squats are usually a no no but I modify them so that I can usually get away with them.  Always be cognizant of your pain level when doing anything.  I don’t think knee pain during exercising is one of those “work through the pain” exercises.  If you have good feet, working is your best thing to do.

I hope everyone has a great day.  Do something that you know you’ll enjoy.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Happy Monday!

Did 3.25mi/39.40min on the treadmill.

My old dawg Rex has allergies and licks excessively at times and he has a vet appt on Fri.  His eye is watery.  He had a sty that popped out of nowhere last week, then disappeared. 

Now he has been rubbing his face on the carpet and his eyelid is raw.  I phoned the vet.  Hopefully I can get him in tomorrow.  My husband put an antibiotic on the lid that we had leftover from when Molly face planted into a stucco wall....they're like children!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Will be heading down to my home gym soon for a couple hour workout. Will include 32 minutes on my new True recumbent. I choose the "hills" setting at #6 resistance setting(out of 16). My choice is always intervals as they have always proved to be the best for me, be it running or ice skating.

My choice when running road races training, on my old Trotter Treadmill, for: 1 mile/2 mile/5K/10K and full 26.2 marathons. Also used for my umpteen recoveries from injuries/my many near death health issues. 

Then I use my old ProForm recumbent at its #10 resistance setting(out of 10) for 1 leg strength training focusing primarily on my VMO muscles(which support the knee) and my quads and hip flexors, all these are the most used in ice skating. 

Then it is at least 30 minutes of leg stretches from plantar fascia/calves/Achilles Tendon, for the rear of legs. Next I do my quad stretches, which are the primary muscles used for ice skating, the complete opposite of those used for running.

Then I hit my Bowflex Sport to work my upper body. Do shoulder presses/incline bench presses/chest flys/biceps curls, and triceps extensions. On occasion I do rows and/or Lat Pulldowns for my upper and lower back. 

Then comes maybe 15-20 minutes working on my balance exercises, probably the most important when it comes to my type of ice skating. All ice skating, unless one is coasting, the skater has only 1 leg on the ice. Striding or crossover turning, you have only 1 skate on the ice, that keeps you perpendicular, as opposed to parallel to the ice(you have just fell, and ouch).

Move on the my Teeter Inversion Table to rehydrate my spinal discs, and boy does that help my spine that is missing the L-3/L-5/S1 discs(2 back surgeries). While in full Inversion I do inverted ab crunches(nothing harder in my opinion) till I feel the slight burn.

Done in the gym and come back up to the patio room. There I use my Ab Roller to stretch my hamstrings to start and especially my right leg, which sciatic nerve was greatly damaged from my L-5/S-1 rupture. Still goes numb occasionally while skating(not a great feeling) where I can only feel pressure of my foot hitting the ice, nothing between my hip and foot.

Then I will spend 15-20 minutes doing Ab crunches and finishing off with more hamstring stretches. My finishing part is using my Spirometer, which I have found has kept my lung capacity at around 90%. Since i had 3 bouts with regular pneumonia/aspiration pneumonia with my 1st heart attack, and 2 episodes of Pulmonary Embolism(blood clots in the lungs or PE), I am amazed I have that much pulmonary efficiency, throw in my 80! Very happy.

That is my regular workouts, except on my ice skating days. Rink has been closed all of August, so have not skated for over a month. Wednesday will be my 1st skating day, and hopefully most of it(no all of it) will be spent with my body perpendicular to the ice.

These are 2 hour sessions in which I use different length intervals to reach my desired max heartrate. I do not even stretch until my heart reaches 120bpm, which tells me my body/blood and muscle temperature, are ready to "get with it". Sometimes this warmup takes 20 or more minutes, some depending on the rink temperature, some on my body that particular day.

Now if you have somehow decided to read this far, you are definitely a friend to me.

Be well and be as fit as you possibly can, it pays big dividends when your body is battling rough situations.

Bye now, time to hit the gym,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

Will be heading down to my home gym soon for a couple hour workout. Will include 32 minutes on my new True recumbent. I choose the "hills" setting at #6 resistance setting(out of 16). My choice is always intervals as they have always proved to be the best for me, be it running or ice skating.

My choice when running road races training, on my old Trotter Treadmill, for: 1 mile/2 mile/5K/10K and full 26.2 marathons. Also used for my umpteen recoveries from injuries/my many near death health issues. 

Then I use my old ProForm recumbent at its #10 resistance setting(out of 10) for 1 leg strength training focusing primarily on my VMO muscles(which support the knee) and my quads and hip flexors, all these are the most used in ice skating. 

Then it is at least 30 minutes of leg stretches from plantar fascia/calves/Achilles Tendon, for the rear of legs. Next I do my quad stretches, which are the primary muscles used for ice skating, the complete opposite of those used for running.

Then I hit my Bowflex Sport to work my upper body. Do shoulder presses/incline bench presses/chest flys/biceps curls, and triceps extensions. On occasion I do rows and/or Lat Pulldowns for my upper and lower back. 

Then comes maybe 15-20 minutes working on my balance exercises, probably the most important when it comes to my type of ice skating. All ice skating, unless one is coasting, the skater has only 1 leg on the ice. Striding or crossover turning, you have only 1 skate on the ice, that keeps you perpendicular, as opposed to parallel to the ice(you have just fell, and ouch).

Move on the my Teeter Inversion Table to rehydrate my spinal discs, and boy does that help my spine that is missing the L-3/L-5/S1 discs(2 back surgeries). While in full Inversion I do inverted ab crunches(nothing harder in my opinion) till I feel the slight burn.

Done in the gym and come back up to the patio room. There I use my Ab Roller to stretch my hamstrings to start and especially my right leg, which sciatic nerve was greatly damaged from my L-5/S-1 rupture. Still goes numb occasionally while skating(not a great feeling) where I can only feel pressure of my foot hitting the ice, nothing between my hip and foot.

Then I will spend 15-20 minutes doing Ab crunches and finishing off with more hamstring stretches. My finishing part is using my Spirometer, which I have found has kept my lung capacity at around 90%. Since i had 3 bouts with regular pneumonia/aspiration pneumonia with my 1st heart attack, and 2 episodes of Pulmonary Embolism(blood clots in the lungs or PE), I am amazed I have that much pulmonary efficiency, throw in my 80! Very happy.

That is my regular workouts, except on my ice skating days. Rink has been closed all of August, so have not skated for over a month. Wednesday will be my 1st skating day, and hopefully most of it(no all of it) will be spent with my body perpendicular to the ice.

These are 2 hour sessions in which I use different length intervals to reach my desired max heartrate. I do not even stretch until my heart reaches 120bpm, which tells me my body/blood and muscle temperature, are ready to "get with it". Sometimes this warmup takes 20 or more minutes, some depending on the rink temperature, some on my body that particular day.

Now if you have somehow decided to read this far, you are definitely a friend to me.

Be well and be as fit as you possibly can, it pays big dividends when your body is battling rough situations.

Bye now, time to hit the gym,

hckynut

@hckynut 

Thank you. 

I'm exhausted from having read your routine. 

Now, I don't have to do my exercises as I feel spent.😃

P.S.  I'm ashamed, now, at my reluctance to do my piddly little routine.

Actually, I walk several miles a day. I live in NYC and walk everywhere. I do 1.5 hours of strength training twice a week. And an hour on bike whenever I feel like it. 

Honored Contributor

Good Aftrnoon!  Its a beautiful day by the Bay today.  Not as warm as yesterday which is fine by me. 

@hckynut  you are inspiring - also exhausting (mean that in a good way), don't know how you do it.

Did a TurboJam workout this morning and checked my heart rate on my FitBit and it got up there so thats good.  Then I shot all that hard to work to hell and met my DD and SIL for lunch and we had tacos and then went for ice cream!  LOL  All of it was delicious and I enjoyed every bite.

Also this morning I did something stupid - I have shutters on my living room window - caught my little finger in the shutter as I was closing it.  Man, hurt like you would not believe.  Nothing like pinching your finger like that to remind you of every cuss word you know and have ever used in your life.  It still hurts, esp when typing.  Work tomorrow should be fun.

Thankful for this 3 day weekend.  Hope you all have a good rest of your day.  Back to work tomorrow for me! 

Respected Contributor

@hckynut Hey there friend, you know I am reading all the way to the end, and you continue to inspire me and the rest of the group!   You are Awesome!!!   I love your home gym and all the things you do and you have an excellent system set up, I'm sure skaing on Wednesday will be fine and you will be happy to be back on the ice again!

Thank you for visiting us, and keep stopping in!!!

The Bopper!

Honored Contributor

Good morning, everyone.  It may be Tuesday but today is the real beginning of the week for me.  Month, too,  since retirement pension funds didn’t deposit for us until today due to the first falling on the weekend and then Monday being a holiday.  

My routine for today will be my Body & Sculpt class which is usually on the upper end of difficult and then Flexibility, which is more relaxing with soft background music.  Great way to calm the body down after that sculpt class.

Have a great day, people.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Good morning, all!  I'm finally back at the office.  No work out today because I am trying to catch up on all this stuff--including getting my budget submitted by the close of business today.

Okay--so here is my wtf story.  I think I told you guys that I was submitting a nomination from the floor at the conference for the board of directors.  I did this mainly to be a jerk because the chairperson is cherry picking people and assuming no one will run against them.  So I nominated from the floor and ticked the board off and ticked the other nominees off.  I was surprised I got so much support from people (the membership).  Only the other nominees were really horrible to me--they were telling people that only the 3 of them were running for the board.  I complained to the nominations chair and she told me--well, it isn't against the rules.  She also b****** me out because I had gone to the Vice Chair of the organization.  The other nominees would throw trash on my candidate table when I wasn't there.  That isn't even the wtf part--current board members were saying nasty things about me and telling people not to vote for me.

I decided right then and there that I would not give one more second of volunteer time to that group--even though I have been involved with them since 2003.  Needless to say--I did not win the election.  There is one candidate that is so awful to me and I have no idea why.  She doesn't even know me and she was never on the regional board at the same time I was.

I did get my final word though--I won an Xbox at the last night's reception.

Hope you all have been well!