Respected Contributor

WELCOME TO THE SEPTEMBER EXERCISE THREAD

And here we are already!!!!

No photo description available.

Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE SEPTEMBER EXERCISE THREAD

Can't believe it's almost September!  Yikes! 

I have not really exercised for eons due to health reasons.  I do walk as much as my health will allow and I love it.  However, I am so out of shape, soft and gaining weight since I retired.  Think --- couch potato!  I mean --- picture a real potato --- and that is me!  Woman Sad  So, I have decided that I am really going to try hard to lose the 10 lbs that I packed on.  I just had DH hook up an old tape player down in the game room for me and I got an exercise mat and re-inflated my exercise ball.  My PC dr. told me to go ahead and do some exercising - gently - to start.  So, everyone, wish me luck!  I need it!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Happy September 1st!!   I can't belive we are here, and I am "that person" who loves Fall and decorating for it but not so much this year because I have not recovered from the horrible winter we had last year and by the sounds of it a "parade of storms" this year....Please Calgon take me away!!!

Not sure what today holds, yesterday we had a family picnic which was really nice, today hubby wants to cut more wood, and pile in garage.

I may do some pilates reformer, I ate too much yesterday.  I am not used to that, as I still am not hungry this morning.  Ugggggg

Have a wonderful rest of the weekend!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Welcome!  Good going on getting your exercise area set up!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

I have a question.  What types of exercises are good for someone (me) who has very painful knees?  I get shots in them and that helps for awhile.  I am going to be 59 and my ortho doc wants me to wait as long as I can for a replacement.  Some days I can walk without trouble, but other days are very painful.  I know swimming is good, but I would liege to get back to something that will raise my heart rate.  Thank you in advance.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jinlei wrote:

I have a question.  What types of exercises are good for someone (me) who has very painful knees?  I get shots in them and that helps for awhile.  I am going to be 59 and my ortho doc wants me to wait as long as I can for a replacement.  Some days I can walk without trouble, but other days are very painful.  I know swimming is good, but I would liege to get back to something that will raise my heart rate.  Thank you in advance.

Exercise bike. Upright, recumbent, full size, mini. They're all good for your knees. 

Cubii, too. 

And, walking and swimming, which you do? Swimming can certainly raise your heart rate.

I'm not sure why you don't ask your orthopedic surgeon. She/he should have recommendations. Are you in physical therapy? A physical therapist can also recommend exercises and what you should avoid. 

Weight lifting is fine if you relax your knees or sit while doing it. 

Caveat - not knowing the nature of your knee problems, I don't think you should rely, solely, on responses here. Talk to your doctor. 

Honored Contributor

@Jinlei  definitely talk to your doctor and find out which exercises you should do.  He/she knows your situation the best.  It wouldn't be good for us to give you suggestions as we don't know what your medical situation is.  

I have difficult knees so to speak and I can't ride a bike - my knees immediately swell up. So it really depends on what your situation is and what your doctor says.  

Let us know how you do!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Welcome!  The first step is always the hardest.  Its great you have set up an exercise area.  Now there's no excuses!  LOL  Go slow and easy and you'll do fine.  

Check in and let us know how you're doing.

Honored Contributor

Good Sunday evening!  I must have pushed it too much yesterday and today because my shoulder is not happy this afternoon and evening.  Exercised yesterday - did an hour of Pound and today cleaned the kitchen, mopped floors and I guess all that was too much.  I don't think I made it worse, it's just letting me know that i did too much.  

Glad tomorrow is a holiday and I don't have to go to work.  Will still workout tomorrow but won't do any arm movements - will probably just do some Leslie Sansone walking DVDs just no resistance band or over the head arm movements.

Will be glad when this shoulder heals.  I am not known for patience!

Hope everyone has a good rest of your weekend.  Its been warm in my area although today did feel a tad bit cooler.  

Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 Welcome!  Good going on getting your exercise area set up!!

@MickD 

Thanks!  I need all the good wishes I can get!  LOL!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin