Esteemed Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE JUNE EXERCISE THREAD

Good evening all and thank you for the support. The hospital advocates I dealt with (3 different ones over the course of 18 days) all said I was fighting a losing battle because UHC would never reverse the appeal and that UHC was THE worst insurance company they dealt with. Over the many years we had UHC, not once did we have any big issue.

Well yesterday I went all KAREN and asked to speak to supervisor 's supervisor until I found THE right person. She read the file and said, my God, you called 27 times yesterday and I see lost call on most of them. Did anyone call you back? No, no they didn't. Long story related about all the bad info, yadda yadda, and 24 hours after Jack was sent to the skilled nursing home, UHC reversed their decision and Jack will be going to the in-patient rehabilitation place. 3 hours a day of rehab vs 45 minutes. So relieved he will get the care he should get.

I am blessed with people wanting to help and I am letting them help as it's just so much. How do people who have a job handle this sort of traumatic event? My goodness, it's so overwhelming. 

I am getting help with our home. Our boys are working w/contractors on making a first floor bedroom suite wheelchair accessible, getting ramps put in various places, ordering a lift chair & moving Jack's home office downstairs. My DILs are helping with meal prep and Jack's brothers are each spending nights with Jack to help him. 

Take care all and enjoy getting outside when weather is good. I was able to spend some time outdoors w Jack while we were both learning how to navigate with a wheelchair. It felt divine for both of us to get fresh air.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Amen for the good people in your life @kate2357!  You're blessed to be able to afford all of those necessary changes in your home. Such uplifting news and I hope your husband is in a better emotional place, too.  I hope you're not too far from the facility that hubby is in. 

Doesn't sound like you're on Medicare yet??

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@kate2357 - it is so good to hear all this wonderful news.  Your family and friends are such a blessing and I'm so glad they are close by for you and Jack.  It still makes me angry that you had to go through such hoops and be a KAREN just to get the medical care that Jack needed.  As you said, what do people do that don't have the family advocating for them or can spend the hours on the phone that you did.  Not everyone is as persistent as you and they give up - which is what the insurance company is probably hoping most people will do.  Prayers are continuing for you, Jack, and your family.

Respected Contributor

Hey all, well it's super hazy here from the fires in Canada and the mosquitoes could carry you off, so really can't spend anytime outside.

I took today off of exercising as I have been pretty intense with my workouts.

Forgot to post yesterday, I manage 3 FB groups so sometimes it's hard to find the time to come over here.

@kate2357 You have to be a fighter sometimes and you handled yourself great.  So glad you and Jack got some fresh air and he will be getting the care he deserves.

Picked some lilacs this morning.  I know they will be most likely wilted tomorrow but for now they smell so good.

Super dry here and no rain in sight.

Have a good evening all!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie

Ugh...we are on a Medicare Advantage program with UHC. It has not been a great experience. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Went on a run with my oldest son this morning. My legs were very tired and I struggled for most of the 5 miles. But it was nice to be outside and running.

Jack's 3 brothers are spending time w/ Jack at this rehab place as it seems a bit sketchy at night...which was my great fear about this sort of place. They kicked me out and said go rest, see the grands and so that is what I did.

Took over the evening meal to Jack and his protectors. They were playing cards, telling stories and getting Jack to do more exercises. 

Re: fires ... think this is going to be a bad summer for fires and smoke. We were getting smoke from the Canadian fires and since we have had a very, very dry May...I worry about fires in the Cascade range.

Be safe all and I hope everyone has a great week.

Honored Contributor

Good morning!  This morning I went for a walk.  Went further and picked up my pace a bit.  Yea!  Fitbit said I did over 1800 steps and ..80 miles.  I feel so good about going farther and a little faster this morning.  Then came home and added a few squats.  Getting walking again is slow going but I feel good about the progress and knee and foot seem to be holding up ok.

@kate2357 - I am so glad to read that you went for a run with your son and also glad Jack's brother's kicked you out of the room and told you to go home and get some rest.  How nice for Jack that his brothers are there to spend time with him, esp at night.

Decided to treat myself to a manicure so have an appt later today.  Haven't had one in years.  Take care everyone!

Respected Contributor

Good morning, all!

@kate2357 I thought he was doing another type of rehab.  I'm glad that his brothers will stay with him. Some of those places are just bad.  My dad was in one many years ago after he fell and broke his shoulder and to say his care was neglectful was an understatement.  We got him out of there as fast as we could.

I will probably do an app workout in a few minutes. I was pretty lazy yesterday and need to get back into it.  My trainer workout has been moved to tomorrow because I think I will be too tired on Thursday to do it.

@bopper we had that smoke a couple weeks ago--it was awful.

Hope you all have a great day!

Respected Contributor

Happy Monday!

Today was a 45 minute spin and it was intense.   I planned on the reformer but it got to late in the morning and we have a gas guy coming to install the gas for the new stove.  I thought I'd be in the shower when he came so didn't do it.   And of course he's not here yet.

We still have the smoke, it's bad here, and mix in the thousands of mosquotoes we have and oh yay!   People are talking about starting a FB page about the bugs because this year they are horrific.

@kate2357 really glad you got a run in with your son, it's important for you to try and have some normalcy but it's so dang hard.   Glad his brothers are there too and spending time with him.  He has a great support team.

Well as I sit and wait for this guy to show up, I'll watch my soap.

Have a good day everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning everyone. @kate2357  while not ideal, sounds like rehab has begun, the brothers are keeping Jack occupied and motivated,  and you got a run in..!! All good!

Is there a mental health counselor as well for Jack? Or right now is he into  focusing all energy on his leg rehab?

@bopper - my husband has a friend in Michigan who had to cut their camping short due to the bugs.. Said it just wasn't worth it. Maybe the smoke from Canada will eliminate some of them. As @DrKelli  said, we had a few days of smoke from another part of  Canada and it was a reminder how smoky CO can get. I am hopeful with all our rain that our fires do not happen this year. It rained all weekend ..

I went to the rec center early and now just back from a nice bike ride. The sun actually came out.. Although ominous looking clouds forming.

I am going to do my chair yoga and then hit the shower.

@JudyL  good steps today...  keep it up and as long as we move- it's all good!!

Have a great Monday...