Respected Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE JANUARY EXERCISE THREAD

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome to all our new folks ready to make that comment of good health!!!   Bravo!!

Our ages here vary but we share the same struggles!   It is very easy to skip 1 day and then easier to skip more days, you already know that so that's one thing you can already address!  Right??  I'm almost 65, yes I have aches and pains too, but for me I am learing it's not about being perfect, it's about showing up!   I do the Total Gym, Pilates Reformer, TRX suspension training, I love to walk, and snow shoe.  When there is something I can't do, I modify the movement, even if you just do some deep breathing, lets say your tired and are getting frustrated in what workout you have chosen, well instead of saying, "I can't do it" and walk away, tell yourself you can do it, you don't have to be perfect, you can stop what you are doing, breath deeply for several breaths, and then start again.  I guarantee you will feel better about yourself.  It's a mental game for sure!   I know when I do yoga and say I can't bend my toes, my toe joints hurt or my ankle hurts, okay fine, it hurts, does that mean throw in the towel.  NO it does not!  It means you find a way to do it for you, to make your practice your own!  Are you getting me here!!

For those looking for exercise equipment if you are on FB don't forget to check out the Marketplace for used equipment, there are many options.  I saw a Bowflex Max Elliptical there, new they are very expensive, but the name holds up to the quality also.  Proform is another good brand.  But check out Craigslist too or Ebay.   Start with 10 minutes, don't make these impossible goals to attain right out of the gate.  Get a journal, write down each day your feelings, your progress, what you need to work on, maybe it's your eating.  Maybe you can clean up 1 thing, you know you can do 1 thing right??   Maybe it's drink more water, ya'all know that's hard for many people.  Get a cute water bottle, some even have motivational writing on them and drink drink drink!   Many foods cause inflamation, maybe you can eliminate or cut back on sugar ( which is hidden in everything) wake up call to me is ( well I shouldn't say wake up because I knew it) coffee creamer. 1 TB is 30 calories, so if I drink 4 cups of coffee a day and use creamer and sugar ( and I don't believe in sugar substitutes I believe in "real food", that adds up!

Find a program with a purpose, something that won't have a dread factor, remember YOU MATTER!!

I hope I have encouraged and inspired you to take this step to good health, to stick with it, make a calendar, journal, drink water, love yourself and stay STRONG!

Peace Out

Love Bopper

Honored Contributor

@kimbobimbo   Have you considered a treadmill?  I have osteoporosis and the doctor says walk, walk, walk, along with weightbearing exercises.  I'm working on getting to a routine.

We had a treadmill but DH wanted a recumbent bike for his knee issues, but biking is not good for my issue.  We have also had an elliptical, but we did not like it.  I suggest you go somewhere and try out machines before you purchase...that's what we did.  

Esteemed Contributor

I did 50 minutes of pedaling  this morning which, according to the FitBit, got me in the cardio zone  the majority of the time. I also have been on plan with my eating every day this week. I did not gain over the holidays which is an achievement for me as I enjoy those foods too much but I restricted portion size this time.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Honored Contributor

@kimbobimbo  I loved the elliptical machine at the gym.  For some reason, riding a bike makes my knees very unhappy - whether its a stationary bike or a real bike.  The elliptical didn't bother me tho. 

Honored Contributor

@KonaKat 

Thank you for your encouraging words!  Best wishes to you!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning all!  Am I ever sore!  Guess doing both those yoga videos yesterday was a bit much. LOL  My abs, my thighs, my arms, are all letting me know that I may have overdone it a tad.....

Taking today off from work - not because I'm sore but for a different reason - so maybe will do some stretches later.  

Wishing you all a good Thursday!

Respected Contributor

I did the first day of the 21 day yoga retreat yesterday.  I'm going to do that program every night after work.  I have big plans to dance in the summer showcase and I think I need to work on my flexibility.

My trainer is flying back from England today, so I won't get my regular thursday weight training in.  Probably just as well as I had little to no sleep last night and I coughed most of the night, which was REALLY irritating.  Especially because I took some cough syrup before bed.

Glad to see some new (and old--Hi Kona!) faces for our thread.  Hopefully they stay with us all year!

I start 15 days of radiation today (no weekends).  My first session wasn't bad, but I know by the end of it, I will be ready to be done.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DrKelli will be thinking of you today as you start your radiation.  So glad to hear that you are going to do the 21 day yoga retreat.  

Esteemed Contributor

My goal was 5 days of exercise totaling 150 minutes minimum. Today was Day 4 of this week, and it involved 60 minutes. Tomorrow, I have to go to the city for a car check up, oil change and state inspection. Tomorrow will be a day of rest which will pressure me to exercise on Saturday to get the five days in.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Respected Contributor

Well here we are, the new year has come.  I was doing so well last year and then BOOM I just fell off the wagon after a week in Mexico in October.  I tried to get back on but the motivation had left me entirely.  I think it has to do with the days getting shorter.  Now that excuse is no longer valid. The only "resolution" I have made is to work out more and regularly. No stressful goals aside from that.  I have to say that since I stopped I feel so gross. I feel my skin and hair look crummy and my energy is low.  Even though I have stuck to my eating program and not gained weight I lost my muscle tone and feel flabby and puffy.  So I have a lot of motivation to get back to where I was because I just want to feel good again. You know that term "skinny fat"?  Well that's how I feel. Size 0/2 but out of shape and I actually feel fat event though I'm not.  I wish everyone good luck with their goals and I will need it too!