Respected Contributor

WELCOME TO THE FEBRUARY EXERCISE THREAD

Welcome to February!!

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Super Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE FEBRUARY EXERCISE THREAD

I’m new to this thread. I recently retired and lost 20 pounds. Now it’s time to firm up, LOL I haven’t exercised in years. I just got back from my very first Pilates class... whew! I hope it gets easier!  I’m taking a beginner yoga class on fridays as well . 2 classes a week , I figured I would start slow.  Out of shape - but motivated!,

Respected Contributor

Welcome reggiesmommy,  congratulation on the fabulous weight loss, that isn't easy!  Pilates is a great way to firm up the body while relaxing the mind and stretching out the kinks.  How many classes will you take.  I have a reformer but I have never had a class.  I bet they are very informative.    I also am interested in beginner yoga.  I keep seeing the informercial for 3 week yoga retreat and I may order that through a BB coach I know.   I know I need the stretching as I"m really tight, and I have always been tight.   

Keep moving that body, and you will reach your goals!!

Super Contributor

10 one hour classes for 36 dollars through my town. The yoga is really good. I found I go at my own pace. Even though these classes meet only once a week, the muscles have a memory and things get easier. Lost the weight through weight watchers. Now that I’m thinner I hope the exercise is a little easier. I’ll keep you posted as I progress ...what is a reformer?. I actually bought the Susan lucci Pilates chair last summer, never put it together. Is that similar? Now that I have the time I’m going to get started on that as well. Wish me luck- the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak! LOL

Respected Contributor

Hi reggiesmommy, your plan sounds good.  I need yoga for flexibility too, I really want that 3 week yoga retreat but can't spend the money right now. 

A Pilates reformer is the machine Marjolein presents on QVC.  It has the carriage you lay on that moves back and forth, and has bungee cords and hand ropes you pull.  You can type it in the search, it should come up.    I use Total Gym and reformer and treadmill for my workouts.  I do like to walk outside weather permitting and I do snowshoe and bike in the summer.   I just enjoy being outside, but our winter is so very long and cold, sometimes I just stay in side and do my cardio.

Some people love that Susan Lucci chair, put it together and try it.  Never know you may find out you like it!   You can do it!!

Honored Contributor

Good morning everyone.  @Mermaid22, welcome to our group!  So happy to have one more person to share with.

@bopper, oh how good you look in your picture!  (Wink, wink, lol). Seriously, that's a nice photo you found and it's so true.  I remember after I retired and laid around for almost a year, how out of shape I was.  When I joined my health center and started working out, I was hurting in places that I didn't know I had.  But boy, look at me now!

I'm going to the early Zumba class this morning and walk the track afterwards.  I hope you all have a great day!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Good morning all.  I have to vent a bit.  My regular zumba teacher has a sick kiddo--we had a brief conversation yesterday and I told her I would be ready to step in today if need be.  Well her little one got worse and she sent me a text last night which I didn't see until an hour after she sent it.  She put the request out to the general staff and the other zumba instructor snapped it up before I even saw it.  I'm a little miffed because I had already told her I was ready to go if she needed me.  The other broad teaches on a regular basis and one of the reasons I got my certification was so that I could sub on a regular basis for the regular teacher.  I don't need the money, but I would like the practice.  I'm still a bit miffed about it.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli  That chick couldn't wait an hour?  I don't think that's too long to give someone a chance to get back to you especially when you work.  I hope the kid coughs all over her for you.

Well I actually walked the mile up and back to the gym.  I will not be doing that again.  It's too dark at 4am and the sidewalk is on the wrong side of the street too.  But it was an experience.

Did Ride and I really like the routine and new music which means they are going to take it away and go back to the other crapola I really don't. 

Then made my way to Power.  My shoulder/neck is still really hurting me.  I have no idea what I did.  I went down in weight a little bit on a couple tracks so as not to aggravate it further.  Can't wait til this goes away.

No Nudie today and Mrs. Rudeness seems to have left the building for good.  It was me and a bunch of guys on the side of the room.  I don't know what it is with men but they have zero ability to keep with the choreography and it's distracting.  I finally just looked at the floor and did my own thing so they didn't get in my way.  It's not like it's hard.  They always want to lift like they are out on the floor and the class is a completely different method of training.  Learn it.

I now have @bopper on my wallpaper for inspiration.  Smiley Very Happy  I hope someday to plank and exercise just like her.  Smiley Wink  Totally feeling less than!

Have a good Thursday all!      

Respected Contributor

Hey hey everyone, February 1st it is and a chilly one here in the Northern tundra.  Minus 16 degrees windchill here, can I say COLD!   But February is closer to April than January so this will go by fast like all the months do, especially summer ( why is that Hahaha)  This morning I did 30 on my reformer and 30 on the Xbike and my fitbit didn't count my reformer workout at all so it's only giving me 30 active minutes, I know what I did though along with the plank for 1 minute, side jackknifes, 30 seconds each side, and Rosalie Brown for TG has a February challenge I'm doing, hip thrusts.  Those are just laying on your back feet and knees about shoulder width apart and you just lift your hips like in old school butt lifts, first 20 are regular, then 20 pulsing and then 20 down and up again.  I think that was the count, if not, it's the sequence anyways.  

Dr. Kelli I agree with Laura, she couldn't wait for you to respond and she already "knew" you had told her you would be interested in doing it.  That would ruffle the feathers for sure.   

Laura I think walking at 4 am in the dark isn't too safe, please don't do that again.  I know you said you aren't though.   That is so early!!   Are they really taking Ride away or you just think so?   How do they base what they keep and what they don't, by attendance?  Sorry your neck/shoulder are still sore.  Those things don't go away over night.  For me sometimes it's almost 10 days, but my neck is a mess anyways.  I don't know about yours.  Thank you for putting your wallpaper up of me lol, I'm always here for the inspiration, and always pushing forward the best I can.   I think the plank works a lot of muscles too, not just abs, I feel it in my chest, my arms/shoulders, I tighten my glutes while doing it.  Trust me I am shaking and can't wait until my timer rings!  

Foxxie we have come a long way haven't we, and you are really doing good, I'm so glad you like your classes too.    I can't wait for nice weather and no snow to walk outside again and not be freezing, just the sun on my body is so relaxing.  I think I need a sauna!   Although I'm not a sauna person persay.  Hubby is but he's a finlander !  Haha

Take good care everyone, I still want that Yoga retreat dvd set, anyone else getting it besides Dr.Kelli who has it already?   I would also like a stand for my reformer but over 100$ isn't in my budget.

Later kids!

Honored Contributor

@bopper  I meant the music and routine will change to something different.  The one class I can get to on Thursday morning is taught by a girl who just loves two or three old releases with music I'm not crazy about.  It just gets old and repetitive for me because it's not my taste.  This one was more of an 80s vibe and now you are speaking my musical language.  They only do the routines for 3 weeks before they switch them out to an older set.

Walking in the dark that early was not safe.  For the most part, you are in a well lit neighborhood and then a little bit on the dark main road but it's just too dark.  I could hear animals but not see them and anyone in a car could have jumped out and grabbed me.  I'm little so they would probably think of me as a kid until they saw me up close.  Won't be doing that again.  I just hate my rental car and I'm scared to drive it because it's just so much bigger than what I am used to.