Respected Contributor

WELCOME TO THE AUGUST EXERCISE THREAD

No photo description available.

Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE AUGUST EXERCISE THREAD

Happy August. Cannot believe Fall is almost here. Ten minute morning yoga for me. Now, I am off to work. Trying to get some new recipes and routine for a new month. Have a good week everyone. 

Honored Contributor

I don't usually post on this topic, so I am hoping I might pick your brains a bit!

I wonder if you might have some suggestions for me.

I am wanting to do some exercises at home which are not too difficult but which might give me some flexibility, and help to firm me up.  

I am 70 years old and not in the greatest health.  I do take walks pretty much every day, but that's about it.  

I know I need to get some flexibility and also I am very flabby.  I am not extremely heavy, but need to lose about 15 lbs.  I am just today starting to watch my diet a bit to try and lose these lbs.

My upper arms are very flabby and have the aging lumpy look -- ugh -- so attractive!  My stomach --- blubber -- can't even hold it in any more.  Hips and thighs have gotten wider.  Well, I am not looking or feeling good.  Clothes are not fitting well and I am unhappy!  But, I know I need to proceed with caution.  My dr. has told me to go ahead and do some exercising but go slow.  

I will not go to a gym so I want to do things at home.  Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good morning, all.  Gloomy morning but I'mthankful to be able to be able to be dry and safe.

@AngelPuppy1, flabby is my middle name, lol.  Walking, I'm told is one of the best exercises for seniors....less likely to stress out your joints.  The others ladies can tell you more.  You're 70 so you have to be more careful.  I'll be 75 tomorrow if it's God's will and I've learned quite a lot about being 70+.  Don't take those joints for granted.  Listen to them and if there is pain, step back instead of continuing that activity.  No pain, no gain is a myth.

Knee injections for me this morning.  I wanted a different orthopedic doctor since my original one retired three years ago but looks like I'll have to settle for the one I found in 2020.  He gave me the first knee injection that was almost painless but I didn't like his people skills.  He had tone in his voice.  Was abrupt.  I will admit that some things he said were true such as getting a knee replacement sooner than later is probably right but I'm not ready to receive the message, especially given with tone.  

I hope everyone enjoys their day and has a beautiful August.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I think all of us here are not judgemental and we all have our issues  for improving our bodies strength and mobility.. We encourage each other.. One of our mottos is  " Keep moving in whatever fashion that means to you"  I would suggest starting slow  whatever you add to your walking.  If you are a QVC shopper then I have bought the egg weights- small and mighty and I  keep them by my cumputer - in sight- and pick them up daily. They are 1.5 pounds a piece and fit nicely in my hand. I  take them when I walk too. Not every time-but more often than not. And if you travel- they don't take up much room. 

I have seen shows with the Cubii machine...  I was thinking at one point of getting it for my Mom..  

Flexibilty is  on my mind lately too. I want to start yoga ( again).. I have done it on and off and hated it.. but I know it would be good for me. I heard Jen Coffey ( host) is gonna have something  coming up in Aug which might be beginning yoga related..

I do better  going to the rec center- biking and walking outside- so don't do much at home..

Anyway.. just a couple of suggestions...  

I had an uneventful weekend.. biked and walked.. Mainly busy putting up  veggies and fruit - and  this will continue for a few weeks till my freezer gets full again. I find self satisfaction doing it. Would be better if I had my own garden- don't think I save $$- 

@bopper  my dental appt is Thurs- yup- can feel the anxiety coming on... HA!

Have a good day and it's August!

Respected Contributor

Happy August 1st!   Isn't that hard to believe!

I had my dreaded yearly physical today.   Actually the timing was perfect as my anxiety has been really bad and my BP has been up for the last month.  Of course at the dr. the opposite happened go figure it was lower there.  Unless our cuff is off.  But hubby's was normal on the same cuff.  Anyways I'm going to be put on a low dose of BPmeds and upping my anxiety med.  The anxiety was caused by the worrying about the BP....   I did labs but so weird we do them after our physical and they mail them to you.  Kind of backwards.

@AngelPuppy1  welcome!   Do you have any exercise machines at home?   There are walking workouts on Youtube that are fun and great music, just type in walking workouts, some hold very light hand weights, even soup cans work until you get stronger.  I love my mini rebounder with the handle and it strengthens bones and it improves flexibility and it's fun.  But if you were to get one don't go cheap, cheap ones will hurt your back and joints.  I have a Cellerciser and it's a spring rebounder but the best springs and the tightest mat they make so it never stretches out.  We all do different things here.  I"m 67 but have been physically active since in my 20's.  Just begin slowly and see where it lead you.

Dreary day here and drizzling out.  Made a vegetable soup for dinner.

Adios!

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

Happy Birthday!!!  Hope it's a great one!

Thank you for the kind post.  Sorry the doctor does not have a good "bedside manner" so to speak. A lot of them are like that.  In any event, I hope it gives you the desired results!

Honored Contributor

@violet runner 

Thanks for the encouragemenrt!

Sounds like you are a very busy person! 

I used to do yoga eons ago and I did enjoy it.  I had a nice exercise place that I went to and the instructor was wonderful.  That's all gone now, like so many things.  But I may look into some videos and refresh myself.  I know I won't be able to do the positions I used to do but I'm sure some of them would help with flexibility.

Honored Contributor

@bopper 

Thank you for the welcome!  I have problems when I go to the dr.  I get so nervous that my BP shoots up and they always want to put me on meds!  I think a lot of people do this! 

Any way, up until my early 50's I was pretty into fitness stuff but then I started getting a lot of health issues and I had to stop a lot of things.  I used to take areobics classes, yoga classes and did a bunch of the exercise machines at a health club.  I walked for 2-3 hours each day.  I also had all kinds of little machines at home.  A manual treadmill, a bike, a small rebounder, a kind of slip and slide thing, smaller weights and a number of other machines.  When we moved, I had to get rid of these things also as we had no room for them.  I had a stepper but it hurt my knees and joints.  

I just try and take walks at least 5-6 days a week for an hour to an hour and a half.  I don't walk really fast but I keep at it.  

I have gained 15 lbs. since retiring and the covid thing.  I am now trying to start eating healthier and less.  

I keep telling myself --- day by day.  Just get through each day!!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie Happy Birthday! Swinging from chandeliers during a raging party counts as exercise. Smiley Wink 🥳

Sunrise yoga today. Fighting a bit of a head cold or sinus something so I'm taking it a bit easy. 

Have a great day all!