Respected Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE APRIL EXERCISE THREAD

Good morning, all!

Kevin is better.  I was so scared that I was going to go home to a dead dog yesterday and when I pulled in the garage and heard him barking, I was so relieved.  He still doesn't feel very good and he still needs to be kept inactive, but we got through the worst of it. Too bad we have to do this again in 30 days.

I made it to group yesterday.  We had a new person--evidently the management has been giving our group leader a bad time about the small group that we've had for years and wants him to add more people.  He had 2 new people last week that didn't come back.  Both my workout partners will be gone most of the summer, one for work, one is having brain surgery and he can't just charge me the $25 and justify it to management.

Today is yoga and I am so glad.  After Monday night with Kevin's issues, I was exhausted last night and I need the release that the yoga class provides.

Glad to see some new folks checking in!  And some we haven't heard from for awhile.  Has anyone heard from Lucy?

Hope you all have a great day!

Honored Contributor

@dex, I volunteer at a local hospital one day a week for four hours.  Right now I’m in surgical waiting room which, I can you can say is similar to a receptionist’s duties.  It’s more sitting than I would like, though, which is why I’m considering changing.  Everybody is so nice....constantly thanking volunteers for being there.  When I say,”oh, it’s nothing”, they say if we didn’t volunteer, they’d have pay someone for that “nothing”.  Good point, I guess.

This Friday, there will be a thank you luncheon for us at a non-hospital location.  I hope the food is terrible because Thursday I also have a luncheon and it’s a place that I love to dine in.  My WW weigh in is Sunday and I’m not looking forward to the result of my indulgence, lol.  They have the best carrot cake 🍰.  The pound I lost since my last weigh in will be gone, I’m sure, lol.

@dex, I love your workout tips....hope you stop by more often.  @DrKelli is a workout instructor part time and @bopper is a former instructor and some of the others are very dedicated workout enthusiasts.  Then, there’s me, just struggling along trying to my body parts working, lol.  Unfortunately, I was told by my ophthalmologist yesterday that the cataract in my right eye is looking more like the lens needs to be replaced.  No exercise will help that, right.  It’s called life.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@DrKelli @Happy to read Kevin is barking and greeting you again...maybe the next treatment won’t be as bad.

I think yoga will be the best thing for you while you are stressed...there is such a calming presence in the room with a good instructor.We had a wonderful instructor a few years back but she had to get a full time job after her husband surprised her with a new relationship in his life....she was the most beautiful serene person I have ever met so I can’t for the life of me figure out how that jerk husband could go after another woman.She was so devasted and told us that yoga was her safe place that kept her from despair.

What fitness classes do you instruct?

Respected Contributor

@dex , I sub Zumba and LaBlast (dance fitness based on the DWTS ballroom dances).

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli @Very impressive!I always admired people who can dance.My dh would not learn and so in the more than 40 years we have been together there has been no dancing.Well except once at a gym where I frustrated the heck out of the instructor because I was slow to catch on and was always going the wrong way.She had a line dance group that had been together for awhile but I could see after a couple of attempts that I was going to give her high blood pressure if I didn’t quit.

Respected Contributor

@dex , I always tell my class that I am the least coordinated person in the room. I don't have a dance background--I got my licenses because they were having a hard time finding subs at my gym.  In that kind of class, as long as you are having fun, you're doing it right.

I try to give big cues as to which direction we're heading and what foot we're on. I teach facing the class so they are on a right foot lead (which is more natural), meaning I have to memorize everything 'backwards' so I start on my left foot.

Every once in awhile, I post my playlists (when I actually do get to sub)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My running partner and I did a trail run 2.34mi/32ish min.

Her name is Molly. She is a 7 yr old geman shepherd that we rescued just before xmas.

P_20190116_104819.jpg

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Respected Contributor

Hey ya'all, I was busy cleaning at dads today and grocery shopping so I have no formal workout but I do have 10,000 steps in.   It was nice today before the snow flakes come again the end of the week.

@MickD love your new running buddy Molly!  So happy you have her, she's beautiful!!!

@DrKelli so glad to hear Kevin is better, you had to be so scared when you got home from work not to know what you would find.   Better days ahead for him!

@dex so happy you have joined us, I love hearing about different programs people do, I believe in a mixture of workouts, not always the same thing, muscle confusion is what works best for me.

@Mmsfoxxie its nice you volunteer and meet a lot of different folks from many walks of life!  Glad they appreciate you and all youd o too.  Enjoy the luncheon, I hear ya on the eating...it's tough, all about balance which I have yet to manage!   LOL.....

Grabbing a cup of decaf now and sitting....enjoy your evening!

Honored Contributor

Glad Kevin is ok, @DrKelli.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Good morning, all!

Well, yesterday's yoga class was interesting.  We had a last minute sub and she used no music and in the hour class, I think we did 4 or 5 poses.  She had an accent and her voice was a pitch that I literally could not hear what she was saying.  I thought it was me, but one of my co-workers who takes the class said she couldn't understand her either. I really did not like her style of restorative yoga.

Today is the last Thursday dance class. Next week they start another stupid circuit class. This gym really has eliminated any variety.  For the dues they charge, they should do a lot better than they are.

Hope you all have a great day!