Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE APRIL EXERCISE THREAD

Good morning everyone.

Good luck with Kevin, @DrKelli .

@Hoovermom, I understand your predicament.  In May, current hubby and I are going out of state for my grandson’s graduation.  So is my ex hubby and probably his current wife.  This happened last year, too, at a family event and we got through it so I guess we will this time, too.  But it puts a downer on the celebration.

This morning I’ll be doing my Body & Sculpt class, Flexibility and some Zumba.  Then off for my eye appointment.  I hope it’s not time for the dilation exam where the drops are put in and you sit and wait awhile.  Then you have a blurry drive home wearing sunglasses.  That means I won’t get home til evening.

@bopper , hope you’re ok.  Have a great day everybody.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

I can't wait for this week to be done.

Kevin did not have a good night last night and he hasn't had anything to eat or drink (just a little water this morning), so we may be going back to the vet tonight for IV fluids.  I hate this for him.  Heartworm is no joke--we don't have much of it in Colorado and I wouldn't wish this on my ex husband.

Finally I get to go work out today.  I figured since I was leaving early yesterday and was trying to meet a deadline, I shouldn't go--so I didn't.  I really need today.  It looks like they cancelled the Thursday dance class--very disappointing.  If that gym wasn't so convenient, I would go someplace else that had dance when it was convenient for me.  I really miss our old instructor.

Hope you all have a great day!

Occasional Contributor

Hello. I’ve been reading this thread and it has helped me stay motivated to keep exercising even though I don’t really see major results.

I had breast cancer treatments two years ago. I’ve been walking three miles a day (six to seven days a week) for over five years now. The current BCA meds make it really difficult for me to not gain weight, and, the oncologist always comments on my weight. Ugh. I started working out in January with a personal trainer, lifting weights in addition to my walking, and I do feel better, but, at my oncologist appointment I gained five pounds. In a “judge-y way” she suggested that I try to exercise. So frustrating. 

But reading this has encouraged me to continue to do what I’m doing. Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie @My gym trainer says that it is better to do five perfect reps than 20 lousy ones.If you are tired rest and then try again.You can injure yourself if you keep going when you are tired.Slow and focused movements with complete extensions and retractions are better than fast paced for building muscles.

Respected Contributor

@tennisbuff , good for you for adding weight training--as for the weight gain--muscle weighs more than fat, so you may have muscle mass gain, not fat gain!  Keep it up--weight training is very important for women.  Walking is great, if you can, do some high intensity interval training while you are walking (speed way up--not running but much faster walking).

Just keep at it--activity is good for you!

Respected Contributor

Hey ya'all, I thought I posted yesterday and then see I didn't,  I start to think about it and that's as far as I get Hahah.

Today I did 3 miles on my treadmill, and stretched on the reformer, it's very cold here and windy, we're getting snow flurries this weekend too, and my friend away from here has mowed twice, we're lucky to mow a month from now!

@tennisbuff  welcome!   You are doing as much as you can, its hard to lose weight, trust me!   I belong to some FB exercise groups and I think I"m the only one who doesn't see any results and I am not a slacker...I told my hubby it is what it is and I'm tired of beating myself up, I do my best and enjoy my life!  Right?   Congratulations on beating cancer too, that's huge!   Keep doing what you are doing, I love to walk and try to go outside most of the time, however today was too cold to enjoy it and way too windy.  

@Mmsfoxxie thanks for missing me, I have had some days lately where I don't feel like it either, the weather here is so bla......... and I think that plays a roll, even cooking dinner is bla......seems to be the same old stuff and I'm tired of it LOL

@DrKelli so sorry you didn't have anyone to spend Easter with, you would have thought a relative or friend would have asked "what are your plans"  and then when you say you don't have any they would say Come on over!   I hope you get this heartworm stuff figured out and Kevin starts to feel better, Logan has an appt. Thursday for his shots, and I"ll pick up the Tick medication, another bad year for those buggers!   

@dex  hello, nice meeting you!  

Judy how is the Bay area?   

Nomless thinking of you, hoping things are going okay. 

Not much else happening here, just cleaning and purging and becoming overwhelmed  Hahha...story of my life!!  

Adios!

Honored Contributor

My son and I walked the dogs today on the trail x 1.67 miles for about an hour.  Rex is so old.....I just started getting him back on the trail as he loves it.  Today I thought I'd have to run to get my car and drive him back as he started limping....he got better.  I'll keep it shorter next time.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

Good morning, everyone.  It’s good to hear from so many people!  Special hello!

@dex , yes, so true.   I’ve heard that before.  Sometimes less is better.  Not only can you injure yourself, you’re more prone to quit by forgetting the overall benefit of working the body....especially if you’re older.

No workout today since it’s my volunteer day.  I’ve decided to have at least two days, maybe three of either no workout or something very minimalistic such as using my hula hoop which I’ll use this morning.  So far, I only do five minutes, stop and do stuff around the house, then five minutes a couple of more times.  It’s really just something to do to get my heart rate up and work towards my 10,000 steps.  

Keep those spirits up, everyone.  @DrKelli, my thoughts are still with Kevin recovering.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie Today is a Pilates day.My instructor follows Reembody method.We work our bodies very differently than normal Pilates.The workout can be very strenuous especially since she is a stickler for form.We have a small class and she watches us all carefully to make sure we are doing everything correctly.I will do some house keeping and yard work later.After dinner my dh and I will walk our 3 miles to feed a feral cat.We have been doing this for  close to four years now and the cat finally trusts us enough to let us pet him.He talks to us almost continually while we are there and just adores my dh...me not as much but I get a little of his time.

I think splitting your workouts up is a great idea as it keeps the metabolism going.What type of volunteer work do you do?We alsways said during retirement we would get involved in something to give back but so far we haven’t kept that promise.

Honored Contributor

@bopper snow?Omg that sure is late.We are getting the garden ready for planting.The blueberry bushes are in blossom and I have lost track on the mowing..maybe four times.I see why you workout on a treadmill.I admire your treadmill stamina.I am one of those people who has to be going somewhere to walk.We live in the perfect community for that   as nothing is more than a mile away.The only time I need to tske the car is to get to the gym or Costco.My car is seven years old with only fifteen thousand miles.We do drive it to Canada once a year.