Honored Contributor

Re: WELCOME TO THE APRIL EXERCISE THREAD

I will be off to station training soon.I find it tough.Rach exercise is performed for one minute and we go through the stations four times.I especially find the push-ups daunting..well the bear crawls and mountain climbers are equally rough.I love my pilates days Monday,Wednesday and Friday though.Weekends we go for long walks and I really enjoy those too.

Honored Contributor

I’m back.  Made it to my early morning Zumba and it was a good workout.  Normally, I stay and walk a mile or two but since I’m going back this evening, it figured I’d come home and rest my feet.

A question, though, for @DrKelli  and @bopper (weren’t you an instructor?) or anyone who has taught workout classes.  This morning the Zumba instructor taught a new routine and I can see it’s going to take me a few times to learn it.  I think the reason is because she’s teaching it facing us instead of turning her facing the mirror.  Some movements get confusing when the instructor is using her left, which is your right....hopefully I’m making myself clear.  She was so involved in getting her movements right that I didn’t want to spoil her concentration.  She’s always saying that she can’t walk and chew gum anymore, lol, which I understand as a senior like she is.  But next week, I might ask her to turn to the mirror so that we do themovements as she does.  It could just be me because I am directionally challenged a lot.   👀 

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

In Zumba, you are ALWAYS supposed to face your class.  Unless there is some change of direction that doesn't translate well when the instructor is coming at you instead of going toward the wall at the front of the class.

Personally, I hate it when an instructor turns away from me because if they are giving verbal cues, I can't hear them over the music unless I can see their lips (I guess I kind of lip read).  We are taught to start with our left foot, while the class starts with their right foot (which is of course, dominant).  I have people in class who get confused about the whole left right thing and to them (and you, @Mmsfoxxie ), I say--don't worry about the left or right of it.  If I'm heading that direction (and I point one way or the other), you move that direction too.  If I go the other way, that's the way you go too.  In Zumba, if your instructor is doing things properly, you as the class will always start with your right.

If I have some weird direction stuff, I face the same way as the students the first time through and then I turn around to face them.  I switch back and forth between left foot lead and right foot lead all the time and it is challenging to get my brain to react quickly.  If an instructor is facing away from you all the time, you don't engage with them and they don't engage with their students.  All you are doing is watching their butts really or watching their legs, you aren't enjoying the movement.  So when you take class again, don't worry about the left/right thing, just go the same direction your instructor is moving, enjoy the movement, not the steps!

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli, she doesn’t do verbal cues, for the most part.  She once told us that when she went for the training on a new program the center was considering implementing, they told her she should give verbal cues.  She still doesn’t.  Guess she has to focus too much on the routine, I don’t know.  And usually, I can figure how to do what she’s doing but the problem also is that Zumba movements can be very quick so you (I) have to make sure I don’t trip myself up.  So what I did this morning was pause and watch her.  Another thing I thought she should have done was run through that part facing the mirror before doing the whole routine.  I wasn’t the only one that was confused.  I looked around to see if it was just me to make sure I wasn’t acting ‘special’, 😆.  She was trying it out on us because she’s going to do it this evening at the Just Dance program.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie , in Zumba instructor training, you are taught NOT to verbally cue.  Some instructors don't even cue, which is very frustrating.  When I am learning a new song, I build those cues into my learning so that it is automatic for me.  So if we are taking 2 steps to the right (my left), I point right (my left) and hold up 2 fingers, then repeat on the opposite site.  That's what should be happening with your instructor--she should give the nonverbal cue about 5 seconds before it actually happens.  Now this is the hard part about being the instructor--you have to know that choreo so well that you don't have to do every part of it.

I've had students come up to me after class and tell me that they thought they were going to be all confused because I didn't give verbal cues, but they were happy that they could follow right along.  Every once in awhile, there is a song that I will yell a verbal cue for, but not very often!

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli I completely understand how you feel re opening of baseball season.  Its crazy here in SF.  We have the Giants in SF and the A's in Oakland and the Warriors in Oakland too.  Going home after an afternoon Giants game is awful!  So many people down on the BART platform, none of them can figure out how to get home - even tho the signs are very readable - have usually had too many beers and the ride home is horrible.  The other thing people do, is they get to the bottom of the escalators and then stop to figure out where they are supposed to go.  Uhmm, hello, there are people behind you.  I am not nice about that.  Get right behind them and say "keep moving!"  I will not be pushed/trampeled by the people behind me on the escalaotr cuz the ditzes in front of me stop. Duh!  I hate baseball season.  Then because I go home in the direction of the A's stadium, I get the A's fans on the train too.  The other night we had an A's game and a Warriors game both at the same place, starting at the same time - one in the stadium, the other in the arena.  UGH, it was awful.

This morning I did a 45 minute Leslie Sansone workout, which is a 3 mile walk.  

Hope everyone has a good Thursday.

Honored Contributor

Good morning, all.

Had a great time last night at my fitness center’s Let’s Dance event.  I got refreshments but I bought a small container to put mine in and snuck it into my locker (not supposed to bring food into lockers but it was sealed and I didn’t want to eat an extra meal when I’ve been doing so well).  I about 90 minutes of working out before they had a break and did a raffle where, out of 20 minutes of pulling numbers, I won nothing, lol.  @DrKelli , my Zumba instructor did that routine again and I messed up in the same spots but I had to laugh cause she messed up, too, since the routine is new.

Met the doctor that I plan to have my colonoscopy done by....he did my husband last summer and I’ve been procrastinating.  So young looking!  Also met a doctor for joint health and of course he specializes in joint replacements.  His name was ...... Dr. Pain, 😂.  Not sure of the spelling.  This is the second time I’ve encountered a doctor with that name.  

@JudyL, I have several of Leslie Sansone’s videoes and love them but I keep wondering why it takes less time to do her three mile video than it takes to do three miles on the track and less time.

Well, Senior Cardio this morning.  Hoping that the new instructor doesn’t include floor exercises again.  If he does, I’ll just leave again as did few couple of more ladies did.  Other than that, I really enjoyed his class.

Have a great weekend.

Respected Contributor

Good morning, all!

Well, it's opening day at Coors Field, which means over 50,000 extra people downtown.  All thinking 'We'll just go down early and have lunch downtown".  Guess what--every other person going to the game has the same thought and will be competing with those of us who are down here EVERY day.  Can you tell it isn't my favorite day of the year?  LOL.

@Mmsfoxxie , I still mess up routines I've been doing for 2 years.  I just laugh at myself because it is such a regular occurence.  Although last week, I don't think I made any mistakes.  Which is rare.

Yesterday was our dance class.  I can't even categorize it.  I just try to follow as best I can, but one thing I did notice--the instructor NEVER smiles.  I know I've caught myself and one of my long time friends always reminds me if I don't smile.  

Today is just a strength training with my trainer.  He had to move it to 11:30 instead of 11, so that kind of throws me off.  I know I'll try to leave work a bit early today since the game starts at 2:10.  If I leave at 2:30, most of the people should be inside the stadium and I shouldn't have to deal with the extra traffic.  It will be mostly pedestrian nonsense today.  I won't be able to catch the mall shuttle because it will be packed, so I'll have to walk to the gym.

Hope you all have a good weekend.!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Good Morning!  

@Mmsfoxxie  I've wondered that about Leslie's DVDs also.  Its got to be the pace - at least thats what she is always saying "keep the pace!"  Think they pace it to a 15 minute mile.  Not being good with math, I don't even bother trying to figure that out!  LOL  

My knees and hips did not like me last night.  I ached all over.   My knees felt swollen so took some Tylenol last night but they still felt off this morning so decided not to do anything today and will do some floor work tomorrow.

Not much planned for my weekend just the usual errands, etc.

Have a good Friday!

Respected Contributor

Happy Friday, it's in the 30's here and talking rain snow mix and a big snow storm next week.. Yes I know....LOL

I did Simply Fit Board with weights this morning just to throw in something different.  Body needs change sometimes to see results.  

Foxxie when I taught classes I did face the group, rarely did I turn around but I know where you are coming from.   I never did something too difficult though where people couldn't get it but I always encouraged people that the most important thing was to just keep moving, some have no coordination and that's fine, it's about having fun, feeling good about yourself and enjoying the company of a good group of ladies.  If I was going right they were going left but they all seemed to catch on.  The oldest lady in my class was in her mid 70's and even she kept up and got the steps in.  I didn't teach Zumba, just regular low impact aerobics and then the last 30 minutes we laid down for strength training, or body weight exercises, ended out hour with a nice stretch.  I miss it and get asked to start one again, but I had to pay rent in the basement of a church and if you didn't get enough people you paid out of pocket.  That was tough at times.

I think I"ll head outside and walk in between the flakes.  LOL....  well you could take that a couple of ways !  HAAAAAAAA