Respected Contributor

WEATHER. PRESSURE. DROP AND VERTIGO

Did anyone else get a vertigo episode with the big drop in weather pressure on Sunday AM ?

Had a very scary episode...doctor did an in office checkout but wants a CT scan and a carotid ultra sound to rule out any other issues.

Sense of balance is off when I forget and look down while picking something up, etc.  Valium is supposed to stop the nauseating spinning.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Re: WEATHER. PRESSURE. DROP AND VERTIGO

@jlkz wrote:

Did anyone else get a vertigo episode with the big drop in weather pressure on Sunday AM ?

Had a very scary episode...doctor did an in office checkout but wants a CT scan and a carotid ultra sound to rule out any other issues.

Sense of balance is off when I forget and look down while picking something up, etc.  Valium is supposed to stop the nauseating spinning.

@jlkz  I had these symptoms and was diagnosed by a neurologist as having BPPV.  Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic site:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/vertigo/basics/definition/con-20028216

Honored Contributor

@jlkz I feel terrible for you. I was diagnosed several years ago with fibro, and I think very few fibro folks know the minute they began to have symptoms, but one thing that's sure is that weather REALLY slaps me around. 

DH and I used to joke about the fact that I could tell a storm was on its way the day before it showed up, and that's to this very day.

Good for you for getting yourself checked right away! Please let us all know what "the experts" think, and hope you feel better soon! 

Respected Contributor

I cannot speak to vertigo.  However, I have had headaches that start in the back of my head and radiate to my sinus area.  I have never had headaches like the past 7 weeks.  My friend and I were discussing this and she brought up the barometric pressure and the hot and humid summer we've had in the Midwest.

Tylenol helps significantly but, it's not good for you liver when you use it long term.  Since the humidity has dropped and we've had cooler temps., the headaches have left.

To the OP ~ I am sorry you are experiencing vertigo.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Barometer changes cause havok in a lot of people,including me.    Smiley Happy  It is very common,i am surprised your dr did not tell you that.

Do you really need to undergo all those tests???  My Dr would have sugested we pay attention and see if it happens again.Since I am not a believer in unnessary testing,I really love him for that!  ............     Smiley Happy

Good luck to you,I hope it is nothing serious.

I think many people have weather related complaints.

Super Contributor

Yes, changes in the barometric pressure sometimes effects my vertigo. I take the generic of Antivert...Meclazine I think. It works great for the vertigo, but does make me groggy and in a "fog-like" state so I can't take it and drive. Try slowing your movements at times like getting in and out of bed, sitting and standing. That's helped me. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Respected Contributor

@MalteseMomma

understand about unnecessary testing.  My doctor has always been very thorough and ahead of her peers in analyzing entire situations.  The tests were ordered because of a significant symptom that was unusual in this situation.  I'm 71.6 and want to be around as long as my parents were.    Fingers crossed !

Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@Gooday@violann

Thank you for the concern.  Today is Wednesday evening and I am on the mend.  Have taken it very easy....still don't put my head straight down without some discomfort.  Will post when the tests are done.

Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@fortune

Thank you for the Mayo link: it described most of what I went through.  My doctor showed me how to focus intensely and repeatedly to get the spinning to stop.

only took one Valium: it made me sleep an afternoon away.  No more of those !

i never want to go through the intense nausea, the sweating, chills, and clamminess ever again.  Truly terrifying.

Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I too have BPPV and it is not curable and when it strikes (head shifting in the wrong direction) the floor is on the ceiling and the ceiling is on the floor.... spinning, spinning.  It seems to trigger by change in climate or altitude, or whatever.  Strange trust me and scary.  I get it every 4 or 5 months and then it goes away as it came.  My doctor used the Epley technique which is as scary as the dizziness. In any case I was told to drink lots of water as I tend not to drink "lots of water."  And I was told to leave the meds alone... that they would make me pretty much useless, making me tired and not able to function well.