Respected Contributor

I noticed in the magazine that Costco sends out that they now sell Voltaren Gel in the Rx strength as an OTC med, in a 3 pack.  It's $37.99 on Costco's site & may be less if bought in the warehouse:

Regular Contributor

Re: Voltaren Gel Now OTC-Costco

Hi aubnwa01 Thank you for this info! I recently bought a 1.76 oz (50g) for about $9.99. Costco has such great offers. I buy for osteoarthritis of both knees and need more!
Respected Contributor

@Faceplacegirl   My dr. gave me a bunch of sample tubes about 10 years ago & told me he'd write me a prescription if I wanted, but it was way too expensive back then, so I'm glad to see it's now an OTC.  I had bought a tube of generic down years ago in Mexico for pretty cheap, so maybe the generic will become available here one of these days & be even less $$.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There have been several different formulas of this product.  I wonder if this is the one sold OTC in Canada?  It was taken off the market because, as a NSAID, the pharmaceutical authority thought it needed to be medically supervised.  I found it to be very effective, but my doctor took me off NSAIDs.

Sister said she saw it in CVS weekend ad.  I looked up their ad and it's $9.99.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There have been several different formulas of this product.  I wonder if this is the one sold OTC in Canada?  It was taken off the market because, as a NSAID, the pharmaceutical authority thought it needed to be medically supervised.  I found it to be very effective, but my doctor took me off NSAIDs.

@Kachina624  I don't know, but the outside graphics on the tubes shown from Costco look exactly like the sample tubes my dr. gave me years ago (I still have an unopened one, though it expired in 2011!), down to the little figure/graphic.  It was like $80 a tube back then, which was why I never filled the Rx.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01   Does the old tube show diclofenac sodium 1%?  That's what the new one says.  I bought tubes for everyone I know at Walmart when I was in Canada 4 years ago for $18/tube.  The tube looked bigger than what they're selling now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@aubnwa01   Does the old tube show diclofenac sodium 1%?  That's what the new one says.  I bought tubes for everyone I know at Walmart when I was in Canada 4 years ago for $18/tube.  The tube looked bigger than what they're selling now.

@Kachina624  The old 20g sample tubes that I have say:

Voltaren Gel (diclofenac sodium topical gel) 1%- Rx Only- Physician's sample-Not For Retail Sale

It's the same strength as is now an OTC med. 

I bought a tube of it in cream form at a farmacia in Nogales, Sonora, Mexico about 12 years ago, which I no longer have.  You don't need a Rx in Mexico either.

ETA: I have to pick up a Rx refill at my local Costco in the next day or so (I'm in Tucson) & I'll check to see what the price is to buy in person.

Trusted Contributor

Is it that great?  It's also on sale for 9.99 at Walgreens.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Esteemed Contributor

In a closet I have serveral large tubes (100g) that say Diclofenac Sodium Topical Gel that say RX only on them and also some Pennsaid that in parenthesis says the same thing. It really helps with aching knees. The exp date though on them is 6/2019 so it's good to know it's now OTC. I don't even remember how I got these. In fact maybe one of my kids left them here and I've just  taken ownership.

Respected Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I noticed in the magazine that Costco sends out that they now sell Voltaren Gel in the Rx strength as an OTC med, in a 3 pack.  It's $37.99 on Costco's site & may be less if bought in the warehouse:

Be very very careful of this product. If you take an aspirin with this your in big trouble. I went into antifalactic shock and ended up in the intensive care. I was under a rhematoligist at the time. This is the drug for 25 years thats on my records to not give it to me. I don't care if they gave it to me free, I would never take it.