Honored Contributor

During the midnight, Andrew Lessman shared a lot of information on Vitamin D.

I dictated as much of this information as possible on my laptop. I haven't had the opportunity to proof read it yet, but I thought I'd go ahead and share my rough copy of information. It's divided into four sections: 

* Andrew's recent blog on Calcium/Magnesium, Vitamin D & Vitamin K2/MK7

* Andrew's general charts on Vitamin D

* Andrew's quotes from Scientific & Medical journals on Vitamin D

* Andrew's general observations on Vitamin D

Enjoy!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Andrew's latest blog post. There's info on K2-MK7 throughout the post...

___

VITAMIN D.  
THE MOST IMPORTANT VITAMIN. 
THE MOST ECONOMICAL VITAMIN.

Generally when something is the most important and exceptional thing of its kind, it is also the most expensive.  Plus, when that thing is also the most scarce, we would once again expect it to be even more expensive given its scarcity.  How often do we find something that is the most important member of its class while also the least expensive?  I actually can’t think of anything that is exceptionally important and extremely rare yet at the same time incredibly inexpensive.  That is, anything except Vitamin D.  Of course, it is important to do our best to consume on a daily basis all essential vitamins; however, Vitamin D is a stand out, it is essential to countless processes in our body, but it is also the one vitamin that is glaringly deficient from the American diet (even the best diets).  As a result, over the last couple of decades, Vitamin D has been recognized for its epidemic insufficiency in America.  The deficiency of Vitamin D3 has been referred to as a “pandemic” (a worldwide epidemic) by experts.  It has even been proposed that the ever-declining health of Americans may be linked to our declining levels of Vitamin D. It is even more troubling when you consider Vitamin D’s scarcity alongside its importance to our most important systems and how low levels are associated with health risks. Vitamin D supplementation is not only easy, it is also the most affordable. It is both our easiest to swallow capsule and our least expensive capsule. For the cost of a cup of coffee, you’re talking about a few weeks of Vitamin D and for the cost of a movie ticket, you’re probably looking at almost 6 months.  Simply stated, although our Vitamin D3 is the highest quality you can find, its cost is just pennies per day. In fact, when it comes to Vitamin D, the only real price we pay is if we choose to ignore and not address our unhealthy levels of this vital nutrient.

When it comes to our health, so much of our focus is on avoiding disease and illness.  As I repeatedly emphasize during my shows, whether we are seeking to avoid cancer or heart disease or Alzheimer’s or senile dementia, the basic advice really does not change.  You significantly reduce your risk of all of these diseases if you “move” through your life as close to your ideal weight as possible (and when I say move, I mean move).  Our society and its most powerful economic influences conspire to see us overweight and obese. In just a few short decades, we have gone from a society where obesity and overweight were rare to a country where it is the norm and affecting three-quarters of us!  Unbeknownst to most folks, overweight and obesity have drastically increased our risk of not just heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke and diabetes, but also cancer, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.  Overweight and obesity does not benefit anyone except those powerful economic influences who profit by it…those who overfeed us horribly unhealthy foods and then those who thrive by our illness (drug companies and medical providers).  Above, I said we should “move” through life at our ideal weight, since a long healthy life requires we not merely live, but move.  That does not mean you need to be running marathons, but that we must spend more time up and about, moving around, and less time just sitting around.  

By the way, just moving more and being more active will make us much healthier regardless of whether we lose a single pound.  Just being more active pays huge health dividends regardless of weight loss.  The concept of moving, and moving forward, reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from one of baseball’s all-time best players who even pitched in the major leagues when he was close to 60 years old!  His name was Satchel Paige and he advised that in life, “you should not look back, since someone might be gaining on you.”  Whether we realize it or not, our lives are an all too brief journey and I think Satchel was right that we should not focus on the past (look back) since effectively, there is always “someone” gaining on us.  We should always do our best to move forward optimistically and positively, but above all, keep moving as best we can, since life is about moving forward and what comes next is gaining on us more rapidly if we sit around and wait for it.  Satchel Paige’s athletic longevity was legendary, but I have always loved the wisdom of some of his other quotes, such as, “Age is just mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter” and also, “How old would you be if you did not know how old you are?”  As we are all aging, these are pearls of wisdom I remind myself of frequently.  Hopefully, I did not mangle Satchel’s quotes, since he was a remarkable man that I have always admired.  

You might be wondering why and how this discussion could possibly be relevant to Vitamin D and it is actually pretty simple. By being American we are moving through life with less than healthy Vitamin D levels and, by being overweight or obese, those levels tend to be far worse.  This becomes more alarming when you also consider the myriad of population studies that associate lower levels of Vitamin D with an increased risk of the degenerative diseases I discussed above and that are now epidemic in our society.  Sadly, a low Vitamin D level is just the latest factor associated with our society’s ever-deteriorating health.  The only silver-lining to that cloud is that correcting a low Vitamin D level is cheap and easy to do.  First of all, just like cholesterol or blood pressure, everyone should know their Vitamin D level.  I recommend above 50 ng/ml (nanograms per milliliter) and ideally between 60 ng/ml and 80 ng/ml.  This can be accomplished for just pennies per day.  If I were to take a page from Satchel Paige’s book, “someone” or something is always gaining on us, but with unhealthy Vitamin D levels they will be gaining on us much more quickly.  In one long sentence, I can summarize some basic requirements for a long healthy life with a reduced risk of the above diseases: We should actively move through our lives as close to possible to our ideal weight while eating a diet rich in fresh vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, while also avoiding unhealthy processed and fast food and added sugar.  Additionally, a simple and inexpensive thing to do would be to also add a quality Vitamin D supplement, so that while you are doing the above, you are doing so with healthy a Vitamin D level.  It does not have to be my Vitamin D formula, but we should all know our Vitamin D level and make the tiny investment required to keep it in the healthy normal range.  I will discuss this in far greater depth today and tomorrow.

We will also have Calcium Magnesium Intensive Care available as a second Today’s Special product, since it is so often consumed with Vitamin D3 for bone health.  As discussed above, we now know Vitamin D’s benefits go far beyond Calcium absorption and bone health to also include the healthy function and aging of our most important systems, particularly our brain. Our Calcium Magnesium Intensive Care has a few things in common with our Vitamin D3, the first being its incredible affordability at only a few pennies per capsule and the second being how uniquely gentle it is on the stomach and digestive system.  Unlike typical Calcium products, it does not come in a rock-like horse pill and instead, you will enjoy a small easy to swallow capsule that contains an easy to absorb ultra-fine powder that will cause no stomach upset at all…even to those with very sensitive digestive systems.  It is the most sensible way to deliver the extra Calcium and Magnesium required for bone health.  There has been some discussion lately that perhaps added Calcium might not be entirely beneficial to the cardiovascular system; however, there is no escaping the fact that Calcium is essential and a basic requirement for our skeletal health, so there is an intelligent need to address skeletal Calcium requirements while also respecting arterial and heart health. My approach has been to avoid some of those extreme recommended dosages of thousands of milligrams per day of Calcium and to provide more moderate levels of higher quality Calcium (between 500 mgs and 1,000 mgs daily) and to always do so with adequate levels of Vitamin D3 (without which the Calcium cannot be effectively absorbed) and to also be sure to deliver the Calcium with Magnesium together instead of mega-doses of Calcium on its own.  Again, I suppose I do not sound like someone who makes vitamins when I tell you that intelligently using less Calcium can benefit you more.  Additionally, in recent years, I have also recommended something that I have personally done for several years and it is an exceptional addition for those who want to maximize the benefits of Calcium and that is a vitamin referred to as Vitamin K2 MK-7.  It is very different from Vitamin K1 and plays a critical role in the management of Calcium in the body.  I refer to it as the “traffic cop” for Calcium movement in the body, since it insures that Calcium is effectively utilized and retained by the bones where it is required and not deposited in the arteries where it is not desired.  Vitamin K2 MK-7 is by far and away the most important form of Vitamin K to supplement and its role goes far beyond the simply blood clotting role of Vitamin K1.  Our Vitamin K2 MK-7 comes in a small easy to swallow liquid capsule.  It will be available this weekend at Today’s Special Savings, but because it is relatively new and difficult to make, we will not have an abundant supply.  Lastly, if you are taking any anti-clotting drugs (such as warfarin, coumadin, etc.), you should consult with your physician before consuming any form of Vitamin K. However, these drugs interfere with the normal, healthy role of Vitamin K2 in the body and therefore can interfere with arterial health, so I would recommend talking to an enlightened physician who will seek to manage a healthy Vitamin K2 status notwithstanding the use of anticoagulant meds.  This is an important topic of discussion, since most folks taking these meds do not realize that they can be undermining their health indirectly and that there is a more intelligent and holistic way to go about their use, but of course, such actions should be only undertaken with your physician.  Sadly, many physicians rely primarily on drug companies for their information, so this sort of information is not openly discussed. Like Statin drugs for cholesterol, where levels of CoQ10 are suppressed and therefore require supplementation, an enlightened approach to anticoagulant therapy should also consider the role of Vitamin K2 in arterial and bone health and the potential interference that these meds have on normal Vitamin K2 and Calcium metabolism.  I am sure more doctors will embrace this in the years to come.

Sorry to have gotten a bit technical and off-topic there at the end, but I will try to make all of this easier to understand during my shows throughout the weekend.  I will also discuss Vitamin K2 MK-7 in greater depth during our next online event. See you this evening at 11 PM and midnight Eastern Time and then tomorrow at 11 AM and 8 PM Eastern.  Have a wonderful weekend!

Best of health.

Andrew

___

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — charts — general

Vitamin D

Vitamin D is recognized as the most important single vitamin to supplement and to do so at far higher levels than previously recommended.

* this comes from government regulatory agencies, physicians, researchers, and physiologists. It's recognized across the board.

Vitamin D3 is uniquely the most important and the most affordable of all vitamins.

We provide vitamin D3 as Cholecalciferol – the most beneficial form of vitamin D.

Vitamin D3 is critical to more than healthy bones, but as we age, it is essential for a healthy brain, balanced mood, strong muscles and more.

• the importance of vitamin D3 isn't just important for people who are in their seventies, eighties, and nineties, but it's also important for people who are in their thirties and forties.

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — charts — general (cont.)

Vitamin D3-2500 – 2,500 IU Vitamin D3 Equivalence

Type of Food   —  Serving Size  —  Calories

Cod Liver Oil – 6 tsp – 258 

Salmon – 1 9/16 lbs – 1,050

Sardines – 1 1/4 lbs – 1,108

Tuna – 2 3/16 lbs – 2,108

Yogurt, Plain Soy –14 cups – 3,146 

Whole Milk – 25 cups – 3,662

Mushrooms – 750 – 4,845

Queso Fresco – 19 cups – 6,931

Eggs – 125 large – 9,750

Ham, extra lean – 24 lbs – 14,806

Swiss cheese – 12 1/2 lbs – 24,237

Chicken breast – 55 – 27,434

Beef liver – 37 lbs – 29,775

Shrimp – 281 lbs – 90,525

________

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — charts — medical journals

The American Journal of Medicine

"Vitamin D deficiency is a pandemic with more than half of the world population currently at risk.”

• A pandemic isn't epidemic around the world (i.e. a global epidemic).
  • In America and other western countries, about 80% to 90% or more of the population is at risk.

“Adequate vitamin D levels are necessary and advantageous for optimal health."

"Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency can be both corrected and prevented safely through supplementation.”

Harvard Health Publications – Harvard Medical School

"Food is usually the best way to get vitamins. That's not so for vitamin D."

"Supplements are the simplest, safest way to get vitamin D.”

Journal of the American Medical Association

"Although vitamin deficiency is encountered infrequently in developed countries… some groups of patients are at higher risk for vitamin deficiency and sub optimal vitamin status."

"For example, elderly patients are particularly at risk for vitamins B12 and D deficiency…”

Archives of Internal Medicine

"Vitamin D insufficiency is associated with suboptimal health."

"Current recommendations for vitamin D supplementation are inadequate to address the growing epidemic of vitamin D insufficiency.”

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — charts — medical journals (cont.)

US Department of Health and Human Services

"Over the course of two decades, vitamin D levels have dramatically decreased among Americans, a new study finds."

"Recent research has also linked insufficient vitamin D to…poorer health overall.”

"Over three out of every four Americans now have vitamin D levels below what we believe is necessary for optimal health.”

* their levels to achieve are even easier then Andrew’s recommended levels, because their recommended levels of vitamin D supplementation are lower.

"Increases in vitamin D deficiency in the population may have reduced the overall health of the population…”

Experimental Biology and Medicine

"There is no sufficient naturally vitamin D-rich food around the world to correct the world-wide insufficiency either.”

"Therefore, the options are direct supplementation with vitamin D3 or indirect supply by vitamin D3 enrichment of natural food.”

Journal of Gerontology

"Vitamin D status has implications that extend beyond the well-known effects on bone mineralization. More recently, clinical studies have suggested a potential beneficial role of vitamin D for cognitive function.”

“A growing body of evidence suggests that the active form of vitamin D is involved in development and adult brain function.”

Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry

"Two recent clinic based observational studies reported that low serum [vitamin] D levels were associated with poor cognition test performance [and] a retrospective study of older adults attending a memory assessment clinic found a positive correlation between [vitamin] D levels and scores…”

Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry

"In this population based study of European men aged 40 years and older we observed a significant, independent association between a slower information processing speed… and lower levels of [vitamin] D.”

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — charts — medical journals (cont.)

Journal of Gerontology

"Metabolic pathways for vitamin D have been found in the hippocampus and cerebellum, suggesting that vitamin D may be active in areas of the brain involved in planning, processing, and formation of new memories."

• these are areas that struggle as we grow older.

"We found that circulating [vitamin] D concentration was most strongly associated with measure of cognition in the areas of executive functioning (complex cognitive tasks, such as planning, problem-solving, or sequencing) and attention processing speed.”

• these are the abilities we tend to lose as the brain ages.

Neurology

"Taken together, these results suggest vitamin D supplements in deficient elderly patients may improve or maintain global cognitive function."

"We hypothesize that high dietary intake of vitamin D could protect against cognitive decline.”

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

"In the large population of women In the present study, higher vitamin D concentrations were associated with longer…telomere length.”

* telomeres are the latest measurement of cellular aging. So vitamin D tends to preserve telomeres which means it tends to slow down cellular aging.

"Although these associations do not prove causality, they do suggest that vitamin D may play an important role in the modulation of…telomere length, which is related to aging and age-related [changes].”

The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging

"Vitamin D may play a role in preserving cognitive function." 

"Emerging evidence suggests that vitamin D, which is critically important for bone, muscle health and the prevention of falls, may also play a role in brain function."

"Vitamin D receptors are located in a variety of areas, including the human cortex and hippocampus that are crucial for cognitive function, and polymorphisms in vitamin D receptor gene have been associated with cognitive decline and neurodegenerative disorders…”

"Vitamin D may exert neuroprotective effects through different pathways, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant mechanisms."

________

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — general information from Andrew

Vitamin D Levels 

Andrew thinks that 1,000 IU of vitamin D is the bare minimum. The minimum starting potency and be should be between 1000 and 2000 IU’s. Andrew takes 4000-5000 IU of vitamin D daily and that is what he recommends that most people should take. The 2500 IU of vitamin D, if you combine it with our Essential-1 which has 1500 IU, that takes you to 4000 IU which is really a wonderful number to get you to a healthy vitamin D level. 

To make sure we have a healthy vitamin D level, We should all get it tested at our doctors’s office. A healthy vitamin D level is going to be 50 ng per ml (nanograms per milliliter). Andrew likes to be between 60 and 80 ng per ml, but 50 ng per ml is really is a new minimum.

We should all know our vitamin D number.

Unfortunately, most Americans are horribly deficient when it comes to vitamin D. If you're not supplementing it, it's not available from the diet so most Americans are going to be horribly deficient and insufficient when it comes to vitamin D. — If you think you're getting adequate levels of vitamin D from your diet, you're not. Because the one thing the studies and science talks about is that there's no good source of vitamin D3 in our food supply. There just isn’t.

Vitamin D and Sunlight

As we get older, our body does not produce vitamin D effectively from sunlight. And we know how damaging the sun is to our skin, In terms of aging and skin cancer risks, so we stay out of the sun and we use sunscreen. So so we are not using what little opportunity we had to produce vitamin D. This is why the vitamin D insufficiency and deficiency is referred to as an epidemic or a pandemic.

You spend a lot of time in the sun, it's difficult for your body to get an adequate supply of vitamin D. If you look at in American population that's not supplementing vitamin D, virtually everyone will be insufficient in vitamin D. There are studies where 100% of the people that they look at – when they look at populations that aren't supplementing with vitamin D – where this is true. It was referred to as an epidemic in America. It's really now referred to as a worldwide pandemic. Their are quotes I'll read from medical/scientific journals that America's ever worsening health issues likely are connected with decreased circulating levels of vitamin D. 

Historically, when they looked at a lot of research and that was some of the original research on vitamin D in epidemiological studies (studies of specific populations), that they noticed the benefits in various areas of health in living closer to the equator because it was associated with higher levels of vitamin D.

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — general information from Andrew (cont.)

Vitamin D and Fat Tissue

Vitamin D is fat-soluble. So if you are overweight, or obese, vitamin D gets imprisoned or trapped (sequestered) in our body fat. This makes it unavailable to the key tissues in our body that needs vitamin D. So we’re overweight or obese, we might think that you getting enough vitamin D by supplementing it but we’re not. If we’re overweight or obese we likely need to supplement as much as double the level. 

And likely, we're going to need to take somewhere between 2000 and as much as 8000 IU, depending on our bodyweight, to achieve the normal levels. Andrew takes 4000 or 5000 IU daily. If you're closer to your normal body weight, probably 2000 two 5000 IU daily is all that you need. If we're overweight or obese we may need to take 7000 two 8000 IU daily to achieve the same levels. So if you look at America's population, it's just another consequence of America's challenges and issues with weight.

Vitamin D and Health 

Vitamin D is now recognized as the most important single vitamin to supplement. And it is also the most scarce in our diet; It is the hardest to get. It isn't really available at all in our food supply. It's the most important, the most beneficial, the most scarce, and yet it's far and away the least expensive vitamin to supplement. So the most meaningful decision you get to make, Is the least expensive.

Vitamin D plays a number of different roles in our body. The research shows a positive association when you look at healthy levels of vitamin D. With a healthy (high) levels of vitamin D we see a positive association with mood, versus a nonpositive or negative association with mood when low levels of vitamin D are present. — these are not isolated studies; they're consistently observed studies. 

Vitamin D and the Brain

The highest concentration of vitamin D receptors are in the brain. Within the brain, the highest concentration of vitamin D receptors are found in the highest functioning areas of the brain. Memory, concentration, and mental acuity – as well as our ability to maintain a positive outlook and mood – those positive attributes of how our brain functions are associated with healthy levels of vitamin D. Higher levels of vitamin D are associated with a healthier aging brain. – these are not isolated studies; they’re consistently observed studies. 

Some people can have really challenging lives but they just have a positive outlook. As they say, “perception is reality.” So as long as we perceive things positively, then life might not be that bad even when, objectively, someone might say “gee, that's pretty difficult.” So, to the extent we support our brain, in holding onto an preserving a positive outlook, then that's a little bit of chemistry. And vitamin D is part of that chemistry in our brain.

Vitamin D and Muscle Contraction

Our muscles’ ability to contract requires healthy vitamin D level.

The body can't absorb calcium, which it needs throughout the nervous system for a muscles to contract, without adequate levels of vitamin D. – Adequate levels of vitamin D are important if you're an athlete, if you're active, or if you're aging. In all cases, muscle contraction is a critical function. – Athletes, In particular, need to maintain adequate levels of calcium. You can't efficiently, effectively and optimally contract your muscles without sufficient levels of vitamin D. – As we’re aging, the risk of falling grows with advancing years. The strength of our muscles suffer with advancing age, so we need to do everything we can to keep those muscles strong so we can retain the balance that Will prevent falls as we get older.

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D — general information from Andrew (cont.) 

Calcium, M2/MK7 and Vitamin D

You can't absorb calcium without sufficient vitamin D. An intelligent approach to calcium supplementation isn't to take megadoses and thousands and thousands of milligrams of calcium. It's too take reasonable levels of high quality calcium and then make sure that you have adequate levels of vitamin D to absorb it, because you can't absorb the calcium without vitamin D. You can take all the calcium in the world but you can't absorb it without adequate levels of vitamin D.

Also, it's better to take calcium with magnesium which is why we have our Calcium/Magnesium Intensive Care product.

And if you really are focusing on your skeleton, there's been some research on calcium and the health of our arteries. If you really want to support the health of your arteries when you're having a regime with calcium and vitamin D, then you also need to supplement with vitamin M2/MK7. That is by far the most important form of vitamin K that we could ever contemplate ingesting

This is sort of the trio when it comes to ideally supporting your skeleton and ideally supporting cardiovascular health: vitamin D, Calcium/magnesium, and vitamin M2/MK7.

Prescription Vitamin D 

These days doctors test for vitamin D levels and they can put you on a prescription form of vitamin D in order to bring your vitamin D levels up. Sometimes doctors will even give patients an injection of 50,000 to even 150,000 IU a vitamin D at one time. This is because doctors are finding that in some cases patients vitamin D levels are dramatically low. Even single digits, even below 20 ng per ml. Doctors are giving patients a prescription of 50,000 IU or more to start with.

________

________