Respected Contributor

Re: Vitamin B12 deficiency leads to falls, memory problems

@hckynut wrote:

@cherry wrote:

Mr Cherry has a hiatal hernia and takes tums as needed. This stops the absorption of  vitamins

Hi @cherry 

I too have a Hiatal Hernia, diagnosed along with my GERD/Inflamed Esophagus, and Barrett's Esophagus, and my umpteen plus Endos since. My Gastro Doctor and my Hemotolohist have both told me that my reasons for the low Ferritin reading has to do with my massive blood loss and my many years of Anemia. Neither have ever mentioned my Hiatal Hernia.

Will see my Hemotolohist a week from tomorrow for my 6 month Ferritin blood tests. I will ask her if my having a Hiatal Hernia has anything to do with my body's ability to store this necessary Iron. Seems like 1 of my many doctors during my 130+ blood transfusions and 30 or so Iron Infusions would have mentioned that to me during these last 12 years. Will see!

hckynut

My husband also has Hiatal Hernia but never is he low in iron.  He does take tums once in awhile and sometimes zantac...I have heard that using tums can cause anyone to not absorb vitamins or even medications if taken at the same time.  He doesn't take any medications for other issues.  Not sure if his doctor has ever checked his b12 levels come to think of it. 

Guess what I am saying is that I don't think a Hiatal Hernia is the issue it's the calcium in the tums that blocks or could block vital nutrients or meds from being fully absorbed.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

From a chemistry pov...what happens when you take calcium, or any other acid reducer, into your stomach is that it neutralizes the acid there. An acidic environment is needed in the gut to facilitate and promote adequate nutrient digestion and absorption at the cellular level. Without the proper amounts of stomach acid there can be certain nutrients and vitamins which don't get absorbed or fall short of complete absorption.

An example of this would be when you see a particular vitamin and it says "With Vitamin C" which is acidic ...that's put in there mostly to aid in the absorption of the other ingredients found in that particular supp...like iron.

Honored Contributor

,@hckynut  it is the meds you take for  acid relief brought on by having a hiatal hernia, that causes it

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

,@hckynut  it is the meds you take for  acid relief brought on by having a hiatal hernia, that causes it

@cherry 

Call me dense, but your explanation escapes me. The meds "I" take for acid relief you are saying "brought on my Hiatal Hernia? I was taking no meds for acid relief prior to my diagnosis of a Hiatal Hernia. 

Like I said, I am dense, but the statement makes no sense to me. I have no idea why I have a Hiatal Hernia, but it was not from taking meds, because I was taking none.

If low Iron Ferritin is somehow tied into what you said, my need for Iron Infusions is because of meds I was not taking? My massive blood loss is what my doctors have told me, no mention of meds or a Hiatal Hernia. Hmmm!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No, it causes your B12 problems ,not your hernia @hckynut ..The meds you take to control your reflux, which a hernia causes , stops you from absorption of  vit b 12

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

No, it causes your B12 problems ,not your hernia @hckynut ..The meds you take to control your reflux, which a hernia causes , stops you from absorption of  vit b 12

@cherry 

"The meds I take to control my reflux, which a hernia causes"?  I had no reflux when I had my first Endoscopy, I went in  Asymptomatic. The only reason I decided to have one is because my brother-in-law was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer, discovered via Endo. 

When I saw my results i honestly thought they gave me someone else's because I never had, nor do I now have Acid Reflux. I take meds because of the Barrett's Esophagus, a precursor to Esophageal Cancer, not for Reflux(GERD). Fortunately for me that I had that Endo in spite of having no symptoms. Would likely have also ended up with  Esophageal Cancer if Barrett's had not been found.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Sometimes you can have things like this without symptoms @hckynut ..I had gastrtis without symptoms for a long time

Regular Contributor

Recent  blood work showed  the need for vit d.../b12...iron and calcium...Doctor recommended Endoscopy  which revealed I  do indeed have  Celiac disease...appt next week with Nutritionist.   I had all of the symptoms noted above.   Fatigue.indigestion.  neuropathy..Hopefully a gluten free diet will help....

Honored Contributor

@lexi wrote:

Recent 

work showed  the need for vit d.../b12...iron and calcium...Doctor recommended Endoscopy  which revealed I  do indeed have  Celiac disease...appt next week with Nutritionist.   I had all of the symptoms noted above.   Fatigue.indigestion.  neuropathy..Hopefully a gluten free diet will help...

@lexi 

Good thing you had the Endoscopy and found out about these issues. Being deficient in D and B12 certainly would cause fatigue with most people.

Hope your Nutritionist helps you deal with all these issues. Best wishes to you.

hckynut( john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Lots of good information on this thread.

I'm a big fan of B12 and use Andrew Lessmans as I find it to work quickly.

When I was taking BCPs, B Complex was very important because BCPs tend to lower B12 significantly.

In menopause, B12/Complex has been very helpful to me for mood.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN