Respected Contributor

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here and hope I don't get bashed for asking a question. I'll specifically address it to the OP @cherry and to our beloved @hckynut. Of course, I would appreciate any input from anyone else who would care to respond. My question is, can you be low on B12 and still have a normal red blood cell count? Just wondering...just asking....trying to learn.

Thanks.  

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped  I don't know. They find it when they test your labs.  There are symptoms for low B12

You can read more about in on the diabetes thread

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped

If your red blood cell count is low it can be from B-12 deficiency. From my own experience, if my body is B-12 deficient, my red blood cell count is low. Does that mean it's the same way for everyone? That you will have to find out from your PCP or Hematologist.

I was Anemic for about 5 years and much of it was from my many bleeding issues(right colon), consequently I needed blood transfusions and Iron Infusions regularly. Many were while I was in the hospital having Colonoscopy after Colonoscopy to try to find the bleed.

So my Anemia was classified(my Hematologist told me this) as Vitamin B-12 Deficiency Anemia. Guess there are other causes within the body for Anemia, mine was/is B-12 deficiency.

Best I can tell you about this. If you are concerned, you know what you should do, right? "beloved hckynut"? If you say so.   =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I suffer from Burning Mouth Syndrome.  A B12 shot every 2 months makes all the difference in the world.

There was another poster with the same affliction who said she suffered terribly.  I mentioned the success I had with a B12 shot, but she chose not to investigate further.

Respected Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

I suffer from Burning Mouth Syndrome.  A B12 shot every 2 months makes all the difference in the world.

There was another poster with the same affliction who said she suffered terribly.  I mentioned the success I had with a B12 shot, but she chose not to investigate further.

@lulu1, wow, thanks so much for mentioning this. I, too, have burning mouth. It came on last summer and I saw my dentist, GP, and ENT doctor. ENT said I also have an inflamed salivary gland. The burning mouth actually got a "little" better over the winter but in the last month or so it is back! While reading about B12 deficiency, I seemed like a prime candidate for it with some of my symptoms and my lifestyle. I posed the question earlier about can a person be B12 deficient without a low RBC count as mine is normal. Anyway, thanks for your post...gives me more to think about.

Also, thanks much to @cherry  and @hckynut  for your kind replies. And yes, John, you are beloved on these boards. Thank you ALL!