Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,476
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?

@Desert Lily --let's face it--there isn't any vision insurance that covers  much of the real life cost of glasses etc---I had amazing ins coverage when I  was married---even then the vision ins was medicore at best---will have to see what happens. My glasses--with exam, lenses and the extras that I get with them--scratch guard, non glare, no lines and frames that I try to find on  sale--usually cost me  at least $500 out of pocket---think this vision thing is a racket anyway------Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?

If you have conditions that warrant treatment by eye doctors then, Medicare Part B will cover it.  Some have mentioned the various scenearios where coverage from traditional medicare apply.

 

Another scenario is if you are diabetic.  Diabetic retinopothy is of course a condition of the eyes that Diabetics may develop.  Medicare Part B will cover that care, but will not pay for glasses, lenses, (DME) for you.  Only the care and not the eyeglass prescription if it's needed.





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?


@sunshine45 wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

do you not have a supplemental plan along with your medicare?

if you do, i am surprised that it is not covered by that supplemental plan.


Supplement Plans do not cover routine vision care. 


 

@CelticCrafter 

 

well that is strange because my ex husbands does..... he goes in once a year for a general checkup, including the air puff test, and sometimes glasses if needed.

 

plus he added dental coverage onto his supplemental plan.


@sunshine45it is true.  Medigap plans do not cover eye exams.  Only Medicare with a qualifying need will cover eye exams.  Or, an Advantage Plan.  You could be confused about what he has.  Supplement Plans DO NOT cover Vision Care.  Supplement Plans help you to pay your other out of pocket expenses that have not been picked up by Medicare.  That's all they do.





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?


@paixmcdao wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

do you not have a supplemental plan along with your medicare?

if you do, i am surprised that it is not covered by that supplemental plan.


Supplement Plans do not cover routine vision care. 


That is not true.


It is true @paixmcdao .  Only Advantage Plans that offer it as a Perk.  Not a Supplement plan.





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?

Does Medigap Cover Dental and Vision Care?

Christian Worstell

by Christian Worstell | Published January 19, 2022 | Reviewed by John Krahnert

While Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) and Original Medicare (Medicare Part A and Part B) do not cover routine dental and vision care, Medigap plans can help beneficiaries pay for costs they may face if they get dental or vision care that are covered by Medicare. There are also other types of Medicare plans called Medicare Advantage plans that may provide routine dental and vision coverage.

 
The supplement plan will only cover your vision if it's medically necessary because of the diseases of the eye.  It will NOT COVER ROUTINE vision care.  Only diseases like cataracts, Macular Degeneration, being Diabetic.  Under these circumstances Medicare DOES cover your eye care.  Routinely going once a year for simple check ups for new glasses WILL NOT BE COVERED.  So with that being said, since a Supplement Plan helps to offset any approved treatment by Medicare, the Supplement can help with the cost of your vision if it's medically necessary condition and not just for routine vision testing.




A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Super Contributor
Posts: 372
Registered: ‎07-03-2013

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?

Wow! Which Advantage plan do you have? Mine covers vision, but not even close to your benefit. I pay for dental insurance.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 41,346
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?

@gertrudecloset 

 

he definitely has traditional medicare with a supplemental plan.

he does NOT have an advantage plan.

he goes to the optometrist yearly for checkups.

he pays nothing at those visits unless he is getting glasses.

his vision is included in the cost of his supplemental plan.

his dental is a separate line item from the same supplemental plan and due every three months.

 

"Medicare Supplement Insurance

Health Care Coverage for Medicare Beneficiaries. Additional coverage options including dental and vision available."

 

 

********************************************
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,437
Registered: ‎02-07-2011

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?


@Shiloh09 wrote:

Wow! Which Advantage plan do you have? Mine covers vision, but not even close to your benefit. I pay for dental insurance.


I have United Healtcare/AARP.  It's a PPO and it covers vision and dental.  The cost is $38/month.  I got an eye exam (free) and glasses that would have cost over $400.  My cost, $100 only because I wanted transition glasses that also serve as sunglasses otherwise there would have been no additional cost.  

 

Fortunately, I have not had to use it for any serious medical problems.  But for me this Advantage plan which I will continue next year works.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?


@sunshine45 wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

 

he definitely has traditional medicare with a supplemental plan.

he does NOT have an advantage plan.

he goes to the optometrist yearly for checkups.

he pays nothing at those visits unless he is getting glasses.

his vision is included in the cost of his supplemental plan.

his dental is a separate line item from the same supplemental plan and due every three months.

 

"Medicare Supplement Insurance

Health Care Coverage for Medicare Beneficiaries. Additional coverage options including dental and vision available."

 

 


@sunshine45 This is inaccurate.  MEDICARE ADVANTAGE PLANS are the ONLY PLANS THROUGH MEDICARE that will pick up routine eye care.  If he has a disease of the eye that warrants "MEDICAL treatment and care" then YES, Medicare will gove it whether it is Traditional Medicare or with an Advantage Plan.

 

Not all Advantage Plans Cover it.  Not All Advantage Plans provide a Dental Rider.  Not all Advantage Plans offer Free Fitness via Silver Sneakers.

 

I have Traditional Medicare with only a Part D drug plan.  I CAN NOT get routine eye check up to get glasses because I don't have a qualifying disease that would need to be treated by a MD (Opthalmologist).  An Optometrist is not covered under Traditional Medicare.

 

He either has purchased something else or has Medicaid as an added benefit to his Medicare.  These are facts for everyone in the U.S. as Medicare is a Federal Government program.

 

I see you didn't provide a reliable source.

 

Here's one for those reading, however:

 

https://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/news/20211027/medicare-plans-free-dental-vision-hearing-benef...





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,776
Registered: ‎02-13-2021

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?


@kaydee50 wrote:

@Shiloh09 wrote:

Wow! Which Advantage plan do you have? Mine covers vision, but not even close to your benefit. I pay for dental insurance.


I have United Healtcare/AARP.  It's a PPO and it covers vision and dental.  The cost is $38/month.  I got an eye exam (free) and glasses that would have cost over $400.  My cost, $100 only because I wanted transition glasses that also serve as sunglasses otherwise there would have been no additional cost.  

 

Fortunately, I have not had to use it for any serious medical problems.  But for me this Advantage plan which I will continue next year works.


You should hope that the plan you are in does not rise in cost to the point you can't afford it. 

 

You have an Advantage Plan or what is known as Part C @kaydee50 .  I used to have AARP UHC Plans when I first started and none of those plans had dental or vision.  Some of them do now.  There are many more plans on the market in my area than when I first joined.  There are many advantage plans that are area specific.  Some don't underwrite in every state.  The two big ones that do underwrite in a lot of states is UHC and Aetna.  I've had both.

 

I dropped all Advantage Plans because the monthly Premiums would go up every single year.  Plus my out of pocket co-pay.  I always chose a plan with the lowest out of pocket until I couldn't anymore.  Costs for plans in my area made me dump Advantage Plans and stick to Regular Traditional Medicare with the Red White and Blue Card.  Instead of an Advantage Plan that covers drugs too, I choose a stand alone drug plan every year when open enrollment comes around. 





A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life