Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My DH & I both have Original Medicare & a supplement. A few months ago we both went to an Ophthalmologist to have our eyes checked. We paid a copay of $20 each.

I needed new reading glasses. I went to Costco & got a pair of very stylish glasses with tint, anti glare,blue light blocking etc. for $128 complete.

Straight from the Horse's Mouth here is how it works @NicksmomESQ :

Eyeglasses & contact lenses

Medicare doesn’t usually cover eyeglasses or contact lenses. However, 

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance)

helps pay for corrective lenses if you have cataract surgery that implants an intraocular lens. Corrective lenses include one pair of eyeglasses with standard frames or one set of contact lenses.

You pay 100% for non-covered services, including most eyeglasses or contact lenses. After you meet the Part B deductible, you pay 20% of the Medicare-Approved Amount for corrective lenses after each cataract surgery with an intraocular lens. You pay any additional costs for upgraded frames. Medicare will only pay for contact lenses or eyeglasses from a supplier enrolled in Medicare, no matter if you or your supplier submits the claim.

Eyeglasses Coverage (medicare.gov)

For those claiming to be getting glasses, if you are, then you are an exception in the fact that you must see an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist.  You are not reimbursed for visits to an optometrist as they don't treat conditions of the eye.  Only an ophthalmologist does.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt  I love the frames and the lenses. I bought a black frame by Ralph Lauren there, but they have a large selection of styles. I liked the glasses so much that I went back and bought a 2nd pair in a different style in blue. The exam was the most informative one I've had, too.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset  I never said that Medicare paid for my glasses . I said I went to an ophthalmologist & paid a copay of $20. I also said I went to Costco & it cost $128 for reading glasses.I never said Medicare paid for them.

SO YOU'RE  WRONG  FOR LECTURING ME!!  I suggest you re read my post!! I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME HOW "MEDICARE  WORKS"!!

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My DH & I both have Original Medicare & a supplement. A few months ago we both went to an Ophthalmologist to have our eyes checked. We paid a copay of $20 each.

I needed new reading glasses. I went to Costco & got a pair of very stylish glasses with tint, anti glare,blue light blocking etc. for $128 complete.

helps pay for corrective lenses if you have cataract surgery that implants an intraocular lens. Corrective lenses include one pair of eyeglasses with standard frames or one set of contact lenses.

You pay 100% for non-covered services, including most eyeglasses or contact lenses. After you meet the Part B deductible, you pay 20% of the Medicare-Approved Amount for corrective lenses after each cataract surgery with an intraocular lens. You pay any additional costs for upgraded frames. Medicare will only pay for contact lenses or eyeglasses from a supplier enrolled in Medicare, no matter if you or your supplier submits the claim.

For those claiming to be getting glasses, if you are, then you are an exception in the fact that you must see an ophthalmologist and not an optometrist.  You are not reimbursed for visits to an optometrist as they don't treat conditions of the eye.  Only an ophthalmologist does.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@gertrudecloset  I never said that Medicare paid for my glasses . I said I went to an ophthalmologist & paid a copay of $20. I also said I went to Costco & it cost $128 for reading glasses.I never said Medicare paid for them.

SO YOU'RE  WRONG  FOR LECTURING ME!!  I suggest you re read my post!! I DON'T NEED YOU TO TELL ME HOW "MEDICARE  WORKS"!!

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ I wasn't lecturing you.  I was giving you factual information from the Medicare Website about glasses and what's covered.  Don't yell at me.  You're not on those other forums.  You're forever doing that.  Like someone doesn't have a right to ask you a question about a post you made.

Actually You did say it, without saying it by telling me you went to see an OPTHALMOLOGIST.  If someone told me that, the first thing I would think is that they have an eye disease or disorder.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do people see opthalmologists for routine eye exams?  Why not just see an Optometrist?  

When you tell someone you've seen an Opthalmologist it assumes you have diseases of the eye.  I'm trying to make the distinction here so as to not confuse anyone, but hey......

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@NicksmomESQ I wasn't lecturing you.  I was giving you factual information from the Medicare Website about glasses and what's covered.  Don't yell at me.  You're not on those other forums.  You're forever doing that.

@gertrudecloset  I have no idea what you're taking about. You were talking down to me.I don't need you to give me "factual information " when I already know the facts. I  relayed my experience ,which was in line with those facts. You were out of line.

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Why do people see opthalmologists for routine eye exams?  Why not just see an Optometrist?  

When you tell someone you've seen an Opthalmologist it assumes you have diseases of the eye.  I'm trying to make the distinction here so as to not confuse anyone, but hey......

Yes, I saw an Ophthalmologist & it was covered by Medicare. I really don't care what you assume, period.!!! 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   Traditional Medicare does not pay for a refraction.  That is the exam you get to determine if you need glasses and what strength. (Reading the chart)

It doesn't matter what medical condition you have, refractions are not covered.  Glasses to improve your vision are not covered either.  They are considered routine eye exams.

Medical eye exams are covered, but if you have a refraction done at the same visit, the refraction portion will be denied.

It is possible to purchase vision coverage as a stand alone insurance.  My local BCBS offers vision and dental seperately.  You can check around to see if any health insurance companies in your area can offer it to you.

Respected Contributor

DH just found out his Aetna Advantage plan covers dental; it also covers vision.The dental assistant told him his plan covered dental after he had paid quite a lot of money for two crowns and some other work. She said to submit the receipts and he did. I was skeptical, but with ten days he received a reimburseent check for $3200!  His dentist retired a few months go, so no telling how much money he lost when he didn't know abut the dental coverage; it is nowhere in his schedule of benefits. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not on Medicare yet, just that awful ACA mess, but it also doesn't cover dental or vision.  However, to answer the question about Opthamologists vs Optometrists, my DH & I have both been going to an Opthamologist for years. I'm on the 2 year plan; he goes every year.  I have no eye diseases and neither does DH except the beginning of cataracts which is common as you get older.  It's a choice.  DH feels like you get a more thorough exam than with an optometrist.  My Opthamologist doesn't sell glasses.  He gives me a prescription for glasses IF I want to use it, but feels I can do fine with reading glasses for now, which I do.  

ETA:  My husband is on Medicare and has plan F, but I have no idea what he pays for his visits.  I think the office charges you up front anyways and insurance has to pay you back.  I know that's how it works for me.