Honored Contributor

Re: Vision covered by Medicare?

@kaydee50 --yes,  that is a big help--I do have a dental plan I pay for now---am not thrilled with the medicare supplements I have now, so when its time, think I will compare companies and plans.

thanks---

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 ---I didn't know-----I was covered under ex spouses medical until the divorce was final---why wouldn't I think it would be covered?

Respected Contributor

I had an exam by an ophthalmologist in April, and I think I paid around $100 without insurance. When I bought glasses, Target had 40% the total for those without vision insurance, and I bought Ralph Lauren frames there. It actually cost me less to buy progressive & transition glasses there without insurance than it did when I had insurance and purchased glasses someplace else.

@wagirl  If you're anxious to get an exam before you look at changing Medicare programs, you could ask what the cost of the exam is and have more info for your decision.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

If you have, already, one of the illnesses like macular degeneration, glaucoma, corneal ulcers, etc., a lot of this is covered.  However, just an eye exam is not unless it is related to that underlying condition.  Even so, the refraction exam is not covered by any insurance that I am aware of.  I have been paying for it, for both DH and myself, since we were in our 40s.

It does pay for cataract surgery and others but that is a long and winding road to go down here.

Yes, the medical portion of eye exams are covered.  However, refraction and glasses are not.  Cataract surgery is covered and it used to cover one basic pair of eyeglasses after that surgery, I don't know if that has changed in the last several years.

My husband was diabetic and his ophthalmologist and laser surgery was covered by his traditional Medicare.  But optometrist visits and eyeglasses were not covered.

Esteemed Contributor

If you go to an optometrist for your eye exam, "they usually find some medical condition that justifies Medicare covering the visit." 

Not the glasses, just the exam and info for glasses.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

If you go to an optometrist for your eye exam, "they usually find some medical condition that justifies Medicare covering the visit." 

Not the glasses, just the exam and info for glasses.

Mine covers a small portion, but I still have a hefty bill even without the glasses.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl 

My wife and I were just discussing this yesterday. I knew prior to turning 65, many years ago, that Eye Care is not covered by Medicare. The only exclusion I knew for me, was my Cataract Surgeries. 

Might be time for those that choose to spend billions of $$$ in, and for those from other countries, not forget about the elder citizens of our country.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@wagirl   You mentioned you might change supplement plans...from what I UNDERSTAND, the first time you apply for a supplement plan, you are accepted but if you change plans, you are subject to underwriting and may be denied.

I dont' know if that holds true if you change drug plans.

If I am wrong I have no doubt someone one the boards will correct me.

My husband and I have separate vision plans, for us it is pretty inexpensive.  Glasses are so darn expensive.

Honored Contributor

do you not have a supplemental plan along with your medicare?

if you do, i am surprised that it is not covered by that supplemental plan.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@judianne 

We have BCBS Personal Choice 65 but found the AARP Delta Dental coverage less expensive and more coverage.

If you elect Delta Dental, please go in via AARP....weird situation otherwise.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill