Esteemed Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? HORRIFYING Experience

Hi, I had an attack a number of years ago that sent me to the ER with....sorry....violent vomiting that took 4 hours to stop. Full diagnostic workup, including CT of the brain. Diagnosis: BPPV, a type of vertigo. It was brought on when I blew my nose...had a lot of sinus congestion...and the whole thing shifted my ear crystals. ER doc did one of the Epley manuevers on me right in the hospital. I was on meclizine for days, then graduated to good old benadryl, then was fine. Never happened again.
Super Contributor

Do they spray the sky where you are? Can you see long white trails that look like lines that are white clouds, I have been reading much about this, it is called solar radiation management. The spray is designed to "cool" the atmosphere, however it has metals in it that can cause these exact problems. I am only mentioning this if you are truly wanting to explore all possible causes, I hope you get to the bottom of it, it is scarey to be sick suddenly.

Occasional Contributor

I had symptoms very similar to yours. I woke up one night and the bed was spinning like something from the Exorcist. I could only walk by holding on to the walls. After about a year of being tested for everything from heart disease, brain tumors and an anxiety disorder I was diagnosed with bilateral Ménière's. (I 'm one of the lucky 20% who have it in both ears.) I've had physical therapy, antidepressant therapy and diet restrictions. My physical therapist explained that if you have a damaged vestibular system your central nervous system eventually compensates for the loss. He was right - I only have episodes now if I am overly tired or when the seasons change. Look for a physician at VEDA (the vestibular association). I wasted almost a year messing around with a primary care doctor before I found a physician at Hopkins who ran all the necessary tests and made the diagnosis. Vertigo is really scary but it is manageable once you know the cause. Giving up salt and taking a diuretic also really helped. Good luck and feel better.
Honored Contributor

I had a vertigo attack earlier this year. I hopped out of bed and the room was spinning. I fell to the floor until it passed. It lasted maybe a minute or two, but I thought I was dying. I self diagnosed myself by what I had read about it on this board. I googled it and knew that's what happened. Went to the Dr and she confirmed. Had a couple minor flare ups in the following weeks and it hasn't returned. I don't know what I would have thought it was if I hadn't read about it. For me it was quick and no sickness, but as you say --- horrifying. I don't want it to ever return. Good luck on your diagnosis.
Regular Contributor

A couple years ago I woke up in the middle of the night and the room was spinning out of control. I was also sick to my stomach and began vomiting. I'd never experienced anything like it before and so I asked my daughter to call 911 (we were on vacation at the time). The paramedics arrived and took all my vitals. Everything was basically within normal ranges (blood pressure, etc.). After asking me a series of questions, the paramedics eventually determined that I was dehydrated and was experiencing heat exhaustion. That was what was causing the dizziness and vomiting. They stayed with me for a while as I began drinking fluids (Gatorade). The dizziness began to subside and I reached a point where I felt comfortable letting them leave. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night. I made sure to drink plenty of fluids and after several hours the nausea ended. Thankfully, that was my one and only experience like that. I'm careful now to make sure I drink plenty of fluids.

Not applicable

I had this a few years ago following the extraction of a large molar. Apparently, the movements required to remove the tooth, caused the little calcium crystals that live in a little "pouch' in the inner ear to come out. As these crystals move about the inner ear they irritate the fine hairs which sends a signal to the brain that translates to vertigo. The condition is called BPPV, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. Usually, if you think back to something you did that could cause the head to be jarred in such a way that something like this could happen (like my tooth extraction), you at least know what you can do to avoid doing it again in the future! I was prescribed Antivert for the dizziness and nausea, and after taking it for a few days, I felt much better and the condition went away. I was told that if the meds didn't work,that an ear, nose, and throat doctor could do the Epley maneuver (not all doctors are trained to do it), to make the crystals go back to where they are supposed to be and can give instant relief. Never needed to see the ENT though, as the medication worked for me. I have had a couple of episodes where I woke up feeling dizzy, but took an Antivert and it went away again with one pill. Good luck to you - hope this helps.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the new replies. I haven't been on statins for two years because I became afraid they had started my leg cramps, going off them didn't help and because I've been told high cholesterol can make you dizzy I'm wondering what to do about it, maybe I'll try that Cholstoff (sp) one poster mentioned. Compazine made my tongue swell up and my neck to go back, almost breaking, it was terrifying. I've had small versions of the lightheaded ness almost every day when I'm sitting down. They seem to leave in 15-20 minutes, glad I'm sitting down though, but still scary. I do use IcyHot on my calves and it does seem to help. I'm asking my doctor for tests for anemia because some symptoms are fatigue, dizziness and leg cramps so it's worth a shot. Thanks again.
Super Contributor

I did have the Epley test, but no symptoms appeared. I found a mild exercise from the net and I'm doing that, trying to drink more water and taking B12, nothing can hurt, I figure.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

On 11/6/2014 cyndog said: I was out in the yard and in a split second I felt like I was going to pass out. Made it into the house and called 911, never felt so awful in my life. It was that feeling right before you pass out, but I didn't. I thought I was going to die and felt so bad, I actually didn't care if I did. Paramedics came (longest 15 minutes of my life) and when they were moving me, that's when I started vomiting and did so all the way to the hospital. Hospital thinks it was a vertigo attack. Never had it before. I went to a ears, nose, throat doctor who also said it seemed like vertigo and sent me to a physical therapy office to have the Hallpick(?)- Epley test for it. The test did not bring on the symptoms, so therapist seemed stumped. Then went to my longtime doctor who also said it sounds like vertigo, that it comes with a big attack, then milder ones (which I've had), then in most cases fades away. I asked for a brain scan which he's setting up. I have to travel in three weeks do I have to figure this out. Meanwhile, I'm afraid to drive or be alone when my husband 's not around. I can't imagine vertigo could make you feel that horrible, I'm traumatized. I never got dizzy, but lightheaded, apparently there 's a difference. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm a nervous wreck.

I've had vertigo before, and it has to be *the* worst symptom as it can be so tough to do everyday, mundane tasks (even going to the restroom to brush one's teeth). I'm not sure if you do have an inner ear (vestibular) disorder, but how about getting a second opinion from another physical therapy office who does vestibular rehabilitation for those with inner ear disorders. You may want to get a second opinion from another ENT (ear, nose and throat) doctor, too. With regard to vestibular rehab, please do *not* try to provide a self-diagnosis or self-treatment as not all vestibular disorders are treated with physical exercises since it may worsen symptoms (which may possibly lead to falls and/or injury).

For more general information re: (regarding) vestibular disorders (though, just to reiterate that it's *not* for self-diagnosis or self-treatment): http://vestibular.org/

Respected Contributor

I had the same symptoms about 25 years ago. I went to see 2 Internists and 2 ENT doctors. I had a brain scan and therapy. Sometimes, if someone has some kind of attack that they have never had before, they get sooo nervous, that their system goes into a mode of ALMOST blacking out. After 25 years, I still get the attacks 3-4 times a year. I immediately take an anti vert. Even if I feel it just slightly, I take an antivert. It's really scary at first. You think you are going crazy and really think you do have a brain tumor. Get a second opinion to be sure. Please feel better.
Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.