Super Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? HORRIFYING Experience

I had one severe attack of vertigo that sent me to the ER. They kept me all day for tests and decided it was vertigo. They gave me Meclizine. I still have very brief episodes of this if I change positions too quickly. They told me as you get older there are changes in the little hairs in your inner ear.

Esteemed Contributor

I have had something similar and yes, it's frightening.

A few years ago, I was going through the check-out line at the store. Everything was fine. Suddenly, things were spinning.....

I woke up on a stretcher. I had passed out and an ambulance had been called. It was terrifying, waking up on that stretcher, and now knowing what happened! I was so scared, I can't even tell you.....

They took me to the hospital and did tests. Couldn't find anything wrong. I'm not even sure they gave me a diagnosis. Anyway, I was out the next day. After researching online, I realized I'd had vertigo. I found the Epley manuver on youtube and that straightened me out.

As a memento, I have had tinnitus ever since.

The fear you're left with is worse than what happened to you ~ don't be afraid. Things become manageable again.

Valued Contributor

Cyn-First, I just want to say that I'm so sorry you experienced this. Second, yes, I experienced Vertigo and it is AWFUL. A few years ago I had one big episode followed by a few, smaller episodes that literally had me feeling pretty terrible for probably 6 mos. And some of that "terrible" was just the fear and anxiety that I was living in, waiting for another elisode. Mine was related to Labrynthitis, a inner ear virus. I was seen by my GP and then pretty regularly by an ENT (for Prob a year or more after my initial attack.) I have a few suggestions--please make sure to get a thorough work-up and possibly a second opinion on what happened. I am NOT a doctor; however, there is also something called a vaso-vagal reaction (?) that can produce the symptoms you described. Hope you find the help you need to figure this out and feel better.Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

Vertigo is terrible. I've had many attacks of vertigo. I'm glad you're didn't last too long and you're feeling better now. I wouldn't worry about traveling odd are you will be fine.
Frequent Contributor

I have had two episodes of vertigo in my life and i am so sorry you are going through this…I would not wish this on anyone! The first time I had it, I thought I had had a stroke. Please keep us posted on what the doctors find.

Trusted Contributor

When you wash your hair, try not to get water in your ears, it sometimes affects the crystals in your ears and it makes you dizzy. I went swimming and it happened, now I wear ear plugs.

Regular Contributor

I had a bad case of vertigo, maybe about a year ago now, it was so horrible I don't even like to think about it. I was home lying on my son's bed and it shook and I got up and felt a bit off, then all of a sudden as the night progressed it got worse and the vertigo set in. I didn't get sick but I could hardly walk. It went away in about an hour and I felt better the next day. My sister has had this and alot of other people I asked also. I also have tinnitus and I know this can be an ear problem. I also thought maybe it was a sandwich I ate that day with mayo, maybe something was spoiled. Anyway you will be fine, if you talk to others you will find that these experiences are most of the time a fluke and don't happen often at all.

Super Contributor

cyndog, I feel for you. I've been dealing with vertigo attacks for 30 years now. The first one I had was very traumatic - I thought I was in an earthquake with the ground shaking and spinning - but then I looked around and nobody else in the office was going through it. I was horribly sick then, too. It's fluid in my ears, which I've had problems with since my teen years.

I was given a prescription for meclizine, which helped a lot. Once it came out over the counter in Bonine (another travel sickness med), then my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I've been getting the OTC stuff ever since. I take it with decongestants to help open the drainage systems, and then deal with the imbalance problems.

I went for many years only having mild attacks, until just 2 months ago. Then I had another major one at work. I had to be driven home, where I was terrified all day. I'd forgotten all about those crazy bad attacks. Once the recollection came back, that evening I called a friend/neighbor and asked if they'd go buy me some meds. Thankfully, it finally helped, altho it took a long time to kick in.

I have the stuff with me in my purse at all times now, as I'm still going through minor attacks. I have allergies, and this has always been a big contributor.

I hope they don't continue for you, or at least that you get a handle on them. I would recommend getting some Bonine though. It's a different med than Dramamine and is much more effective. It's the same as what the doctors would prescribe.

Super Contributor

OMG that sounds horrible. Did they do a full cardiac workup on you also? If not, and there is no obvious diagnoses, please see a cardiologist also.

Honored Contributor

Bless your heart... yes, I understand but in a different way because I've suddenly felt dizzy, room spinning, started retching, clammy and felt really horrible.... because of a pinched nerve in my neck~! It's frightening and I've lost a little confidence being by myself and I've had a lifetime of being independent. I've had another attack, far less severe and with radiating pain in my neck and down my arms... thought it was a heart attack but after a days worth of tests, it was also related to the pinched nerve.

One of the tests I had required me to take a shot of a radiation material that would allow the doctors to "see" what is going on. By the time they got me into the machine I had a full blown panic attack. Never had one in my life and now understand that the radiation material they inject can often trigger that horrifying fight or flight response. I freaked out! I couldn't/wouldn't take the test. Never in my life have I experienced panic. I used to be a 2nd Degree Black Belt... I don't panic. They told me the material takes a long time to leave your system.... and I had two more attacks over the next few months. Even thinking about certain things would trigger the start of the response. It's finally worn off... I think.

It's tough being a human being, isn't it? Hang in there and know we're thinking about you and wishing you well....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*