Super Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? Anyone know how to get over this?

I have been taking the medicine prescribed for 3 days now.  It really makes me tired.  However, the dizziness is just about gone.  I will continue taking the meds and in 2 weeks back to the doctor.  Thanks for all the kind replies.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mominohio. I feel for you.  I've had one major bout of vertigo and it was one of the most awful conditions I've ever had.  If you're alone, there's not much you can do; can't drive for sure.  Fortunately my doctor knows my situation so I can always call or email her.  Hope that never comes back.

@Kachina624

Luckily, for the most part, if I watch how I position my head/body, I'm functional. I do worry that some time, an episode could come on when driving (although it never has or even seemed like it would). When I'm with my mom, out and about, I would be in a bit of trouble, because she can't drive my standard shift car.

The worst part is that it isn't what some people think. They might feel it is just a 'dizzy spell'. But it is so much more than that, isn't it. 

It is frightening because you are just about completely out of control when it really gets going. You get to the floor, and even there, you feel like you are falling off the floor. 

The big episode I had that brought this to light for me, lasted for hours. It was exhausting. 

I hope it never comes back for you either. It's something I hope others don't have to experience. Ever!

Honored Contributor

@MezzieStarr  thanks...valuable information

@MezzieStarr wrote:

I have suffered with vertigo for years.  This is the only thing that helps me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQR6b7CAiqk&app=desktop

Valued Contributor

There are many reasons for vertigo.However it is more a symptom than a disease . Find out what is causing the vertigo. Some reasons for vertigo are benign and some are quite serious . Investigate furthur.

cathy from ma

Honored Contributor

Reasons for vertigo are often difficult to pinpoint and it isn't always easy to treat. I've seen many people who deal with it and I truly feel sorry for them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear about your vertigo @teachergal. Unless you've had it, it's hard to describe. Mine was caused by a viral infection of my inner ear and it literally caused my eyes to roll. Medicine you were given made me so tired. It could take a few weeks to settle down. My trigger seems to be cold winds so I have to keep my ears covered for three seasons.

Respected Contributor

Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

This is probably not your issue but my cousin found out she had vertigo from her diabetic medication.   A friend found she had it from allergies/sinus congestion. I wish you the best.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mominohio. I feel for you.  I've had one major bout of vertigo and it was one of the most awful conditions I've ever had.  If you're alone, there's not much you can do; can't drive for sure.  Fortunately my doctor knows my situation so I can always call or email her.  Hope that never comes back.

@Kachina624

Luckily, for the most part, if I watch how I position my head/body, I'm functional. I do worry that some time, an episode could come on when driving (although it never has or even seemed like it would). When I'm with my mom, out and about, I would be in a bit of trouble, because she can't drive my standard shift car.

The worst part is that it isn't what some people think. They might feel it is just a 'dizzy spell'. But it is so much more than that, isn't it. 

It is frightening because you are just about completely out of control when it really gets going. You get to the floor, and even there, you feel like you are falling off the floor. 

The big episode I had that brought this to light for me, lasted for hours. It was exhausting. 

I hope it never comes back for you either. It's something I hope others don't have to experience. Ever!

have suffered with vertigo attacks for then 30yrs now.  At one of my ENT's offices the lady there doing all the testing told me that during training each of them has to go in the "chair" one that makes your system begin to spin/vertigo so they have 1st hand experience themselves and have understanding/empathy for the patients.  I never knew that....she was very nice to me....I had a very difficult time doing any testing that was going to bring on vertigo.  I cried like a child....got so bad I almost barfed right there.  Had to stop.  Never did the chair one....never wil.  All the other ones are too awful to get thur for me.  Only take meds to get it under control....can't do those manuavers when it's in progress as I am MUCH to sick/vomiting.  Impossible.