Honored Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? Anyone know how to get over this?

Boy, I sure feel for you.  I've had this issue for years.  Take heart --it does get better!

The medicine does help though is not a cure-all.  I never get completely over it.  I cannot sleep on my left side and I have to watch how I move my head --- no quick movements and have to get up slowly from a prone position.  A couple things --- small things -- that help me.  Stay very well hydrated and watch the salt intake.  Weather seems to affect me -- humidity, etc.  I know people who have had an episode and then never again.  I hope this will be the case for you.  Good luck!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

The exercise that has stopped this in me, is a doctor on Utube, (someone showed me this) by a Dr. Carol Foster.  She deals with it, and has had it.  Mine is about the inner ear crystals. I would get sick physically for two whole days.  Now I try to do this exercise once a month.  What a relief it's been for me. Do see your doctor first.

Honored Contributor

@teachergal, I suffer from motion sickness on a regular basis and must take Dramamine whenever I know in advance that I will ride with someone or take airplanes, etc.  

But, years ago, I woke up mildly dizzy for no apparent reason and it continued for over a week before I went to the doctor.  The Dramamine controlled it but it wouldn't go away.  He diagnosed vertigo, talked about crystals in the ears, all of the things people on here have mentioned.  The bottom line is, the doctor doesn't really know why you personally get it.  They can only speak in general and then professionally decide how to fix you.  My doctor, at the time, prescribed the same medication and time frame as your doctor.  It worked.  I've had minor episodes since then but never more than a day.  

(I think my doctor prescribed my medication through a patch for two weeks, now that I think more about it @teachergal).

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

I had it and it last for about a week.  Dr. prescribed a tapered dose of Prednisone. Virus in the inner ear. @teachergal

Interesting.....Prednisone is a steroid and would not be a treatment for a virus?

Honored Contributor

I have occasional bouts of benign positional vertigo. My latest one was about two months ago. I bent over to get some clothes out of the dryer and tilted my head slightly to the right and that was that.  Right out of the blue, vertigo. I straightened up very quickly and caught it just as the room was getting ready to spin. 

Years ago, when I had my first bout, the doctor sent me for several sessions of vestibular therapy. Lots of balance exercises. I did them faithfully for a few years after the therapy ended. 

I’ve never done the Epley Maneuver. I just couldn’t convince myself to willingly do something that would bring on the vertigo in an effort to get rid of it. 

So, I just live with it and it tapers off and goes away in time. I do still sleep in the bed, but I use two pillows and sleep at a pretty steep angle. The top pillow is foam rubber and the bottom pillow is this pillow I got from the sleep number store. It’s a big square and pretty thick. I sleep on both of those. 

I’m very careful always when bending down for things or tilting my head too far back. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Super Contributor

I've had 2 or 3 bouts of vertigo. The Rx from the doc knocks me out like a light and if you have to work, that's not good. A co-worker of DH recommended Mucinex DM 12 hr. It works great for me.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

I have BPV and when I get an episode of it.I use the "seasick" patches.

Esteemed Contributor

When my husband had this some years ago, he went to the chiropractor, it helped, but then got referred to physical therapy, and she had him do some exercises and it's gone and never returned.  I would say try PT.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio. I feel for you.  I've had one major bout of vertigo and it was one of the most awful conditions I've ever had.  If you're alone, there's not much you can do; can't drive for sure.  Fortunately my doctor knows my situation so I can always call or email her.  Hope that never comes back.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My Vertigo is weather related. I get it when a low comes in or a high comes it. It is cause by the pressure that is caused by highs and lows coming and going. Theres an over the counter product called Lipo Flavonoid that my hearing doctor recommended. Its helps and i get it at Walgreens.