Honored Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? Anyone know how to get over this?

I will offer up a different view than other usually do here. 

A number of years ago, I was awakened in the middle of the night feeling sick to my stomach. I sat up, and the spinning began. It lasted hours, I had to be over the toilet as I was sick repeatedly from the spinning, and went to the emergency room and given the same medication you listed. 

That was at least 5 years ago (longer I think), and I deal with this off and on almost every day. I followed up with an ENT and the maneuver they do was useless, and I got no real answers as to why this happened and continued to. I don't believe it is anything to do with my inner ear, like the medical community claims.

For me, it happens if I lean left or try to lay on my left side. Sometimes I don't do well even on my right side. So at least I know my trigger and avoid it.

I have always used a chiropractor as needed, but hesitated with this problem for many months, wanting to see if there was a traditional medical solution. 

But I finally gave in and went to the chiropractor. I never have neck pain when this flares up, but adjusting my neck will often help with the severity of it. Sometimes it actually spikes after a treatment for a short time, then settles down. 

I cannot sleep laying down in a bed any longer, but need a recliner or an adjustable bed. I never lay on my side (either one) anymore, because even though right side is much better, it sometimes will set me off as well.

There are people who, once vertigo comes, find that it never goes away, but kind of ebbs and flows in and out of one's life. 

Even the doctors I saw said they are only guessing about the crystals in the ear  idea as the root of the cause as for many people it is triggered by other disease/illness/conditions, and some people never do figure out why or where it is coming from.

Esteemed Contributor

I had it and it last for about a week.  Dr. prescribed a tapered dose of Prednisone. Virus in the inner ear. @teachergal

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There is a maneuver you can do with your head which is the most effective cure.  I'm amazed your doctor didn't tell you about it, as mine did me.   Google vertigo and I'm sure you can find it.  Its called the Epley Maneuver.

My Dr. didn't but my mom did.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio That must be terrible for you. I hope you find relief for your vertigo. Have you looked into acupuncture or other alternative treatments? 

Honored Contributor

I had it once.  I was late getting up and got out of bed quickly.  As soon as I was in an upright position, the room was spinning. I dropped to the floor until it passed.  I knew what it was from reading a thread here, but went to the Dr anyway.  She confirmed my thoughts and didn't know what caused it.  I basically layed low for a couple days and it went away.  Hasn't been back.  If I was you, I would follow the Drs orders.

Trusted Contributor

I have suffered with vertigo for years.  This is the only thing that helps me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQR6b7CAiqk&app=desktop

Respected Contributor

I had Vertigo twice, mine turned out to be impacted ear wax. Did the doctor look in your ears, and ask questions?And actually the CNP gave me eye drops for my ear and was told to use twice daily for a week and to my surprice it took care of the problem.

Respected Contributor

Also don't put anything in your ear you can cause a ear infection and that can cause dizziness, and vertigo. It is horrible and I pray I never , ever get it again.

Trusted Contributor

@teachergal wrote:

Today I fell down, right back to the sofa.  I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with vertigo.  She sent me home with a script for Meclizine -4 times aday for 2 weeks.  Does anyone know how people get this dizziness and how long does it last?  TIA

I had it a couple of years ago - went to the emergency room.  The doctor prescribed valium and something to keep me from being nauseated.  I actually felt better after a couple fo hours in the hospital.  I rested for several days (the valium really knocked me out).  It has not been back (knock on wood). Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

I am so glad to read this topic on vertigo as it happened to me last week and lasted for about two days.  The room would spin and I would fall, thankfully back onto the sofa.   I thought it may be connected to a new medicine I took, one similar to Zyrtec for allergies, but I can't be sure.

I truly sympathize with you if you have to deal with vertigo.