Super Contributor

Vertigo?? Anyone know how to get over this?

Today I fell down, right back to the sofa.  I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with vertigo.  She sent me home with a script for Meclizine -4 times aday for 2 weeks.  Does anyone know how people get this dizziness and how long does it last?  TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Vertigo?? Anyone know how to get over this?

[ Edited ]

There is a maneuver you can do with your head which is the most effective cure.  I'm amazed your doctor didn't tell you about it, as mine did me.   Google vertigo and I'm sure you can find it.  Its called the Epley Maneuver.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Your doc should have told you why you were dizzy. Did you just get up too quickly, is it a blood pressure problem, is one of your meds. causing this, is it a inner ear thing, is your blood sugar too low. I personally would not take another med. if I did not know the underlying cause. I get very dizzy if my BP is low or I don't eat enough. I just sit down till it passes and make myself something to eat, no need to medicate.

Trusted Contributor

Some people get water in their ears and it moves the crystals around, wear ear plugs like swimmers wear when you take a shower or wash your hair. 

Esteemed Contributor

@teachergal  What was the cause of your vertigo? Were labs done? How were the blood and urine results? Didn't your Dr. provide you with more information? I have had vertigo on and off throughout the years; exercises have helped. I've never been given a prescription! I'd be very leery to be handed a medication for the first time. Did you asked a lot of questions? Did your physician do a complete exam and medical history? Seems there is a lack of information on your post here. Certainly the pharmacy provided you with informaton about the drug when you received the RX. Read up on the medication; check the internet for vertigo. Not sure I'd take any medication if my physician prescribed a medication without completely discussing what, how and why with me. Of course, I always have plenty of questions to ask about any health issue. You and your physician need to talk thoroughly; you are your own best health care advocate . . . not a bunch of strangers on-line. Maybe a follow-up call to your Dr's. nurse would be a good idea tomorrow morning. Ask a lot of questions! Hope you get up slowly in the meantime so avoid any dizziness. Good luck and good health.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I've had positional vertigo several times (you get dizzy when you move your head a certain way).  

Generally - a week or two - with the Meclizine.  

Just recently, we figured out that it is triggered by ibuprofen.  I keep meds on hand ... just in case.

Trusted Contributor

Sorry to hear about your vertigo. It stems from some type of an inner ear disturbance. I  believe Meclizine is the ingredient in Bonine or Dramamine which helps dry up fluid in the ear. Does yours occur when you arise from a seated or lying position or when you tilt your head in a certain way? That can be"benign positional vertigo". Certain exercises can help as another poster has stated. Good luck and feel better.

Regular Contributor

@teachergal wrote:

Today I fell down, right back to the sofa.  I went to my doctor and she diagnosed me with vertigo.  She sent me home with a script for Meclizine -4 times aday for 2 weeks.  Does anyone know how people get this dizziness and how long does it last?  TIA

I found out several years ago that there are many different causes for vertigo.  And sometimes it can be idiopathic.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do get water in my ears when I shampoo my hair.  My doctor did say it was Benign Positional Vertigo.  Thank you kind posters for your help.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

BirkiLady, You certainly are a ray of sunshine, aren't you.