Respected Contributor

@NeNe1010 wrote:

I am not a vegetarian but I am a Prescatarian (veggies, and some fish and seafood). I also eat eggs from free range chickens. I do not eat dairy products. Check the vegetarian section at you grocery- I love Morning Star grillers (soy burgers) and their faux chicken fillets. I put soy crumbles (faux ground beef) in my chili and spaghetti and you would be surprisec how many people dont miss the real ground beef. If you need more incentive just watch some of the videos of how most meat is inhumanely raised and slaughtered. Also animal protein is not  necessary in our diet. I quickly lost the taste for meat and have not eaten it for many years. l dont miss it at all. I am 63 and my blood pressure is low. My cholesteral is also very low. Good Luck. You are doing a good thing for the animals and for your health.     

I thought about  doing the Prescatarian.  it may be an easier way  to eat less red meat  and poultry. I tried that fake chickenfrom morning star and it was god aweful lol.  

Trusted Contributor

@NeNe1010 wrote:

I am not a vegetarian but I am a Prescatarian (veggies, and some fish and seafood). I also eat eggs from free range chickens. I do not eat dairy products. Check the vegetarian section at you grocery- I love Morning Star grillers (soy burgers) and their faux chicken fillets. I put soy crumbles (faux ground beef) in my chili and spaghetti and you would be surprisec how many people dont miss the real ground beef. If you need more incentive just watch some of the videos of how most meat is inhumanely raised and slaughtered. Also animal protein is not  necessary in our diet. I quickly lost the taste for meat and have not eaten it for many years. l dont miss it at all. I am 63 and my blood pressure is low. My cholesteral is also very low. Good Luck. You are doing a good thing for the animals and for your health.     

This looks like something that I should look into.  I think I could do this. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Re: Vegetarians?

[ Edited ]

There are many different reasons why people choose this lifestyle/WOE.

Health, financial, environmental...and those reasons could be 'fluid' if goals become unfocused.    But ethically?  I would think that's locked down solid.

I can't understand how someone has such a strong reaction with the ethical treatment of animals one minute, but the next minute eating a salmon filet.  An animal is an animal is an animal.   Swims. Walks. Flies.  They're all equal when it comes to ethical animal treatment.

Honored Contributor
I second the grillers recommendation they are fabulous!
Esteemed Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I do not know if this is the right forum  but I want advise from any vegetarans ( or near vegetarians)

I want to move from a mostly meat diet to a more vegetable diet  if not totally vegetarian.  Reason is  I have become more sensitive to animal cruelity  and also to be more healthy.  What is the best way to go into this?  Should I transition slowly from meat diet to mostly vegetable diet? I want to do it in a haelthy way so I do not fall off the wagon and pig out on BBQ  lol.

Also what are your opinions  about seafood?  I hear some  eat a primary vegatarian  diet yet allow  seafood from time to time.  

I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since 1975. The best way for me was to quit completely the foods I wanted to eliminate. I quit smoking drinking/alcohol and gambling, all cold turkey, and that what works for me. 

Meat/Fish and Fowl, I do not eat. I have never and will never quit dairy products and/or go the Vegan route. I do not believe that method is necessary for me.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

For optimum health, one needs to remove not only the animal but also the animal by-products.  

Eggs, milk, cheese all carry cholesterol & fat which injures the endothelium.....and they also have added ingredients to make the finished product palatable (i.e. sodium, sugar, etc).  

Honored Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

I do not know if this is the right forum  but I want advise from any vegetarans ( or near vegetarians)

I want to move from a mostly meat diet to a more vegetable diet  if not totally vegetarian.  Reason is  I have become more sensitive to animal cruelity  and also to be more healthy.  What is the best way to go into this?  Should I transition slowly from meat diet to mostly vegetable diet? I want to do it in a haelthy way so I do not fall off the wagon and pig out on BBQ  lol.

Also what are your opinions  about seafood?  I hear some  eat a primary vegatarian  diet yet allow  seafood from time to time.  

If this is true, I hope you consider stop buying all your hair care products you buy from all the companies that still torture animals to test their products on. Animal testing in the cosmetics and beauty industry is one of the worst and most inhumane form of animal cruelty there is.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MarieIG wrote:

@NeNe1010 wrote:

This looks like something that I should look into.  I think I could do this. 

This is what I do too.  Mostly plant based but have seafood occasionally. I do still eat dairy, although, not as much as before, now it is mainly in cheese and baked goods. I do miss some meat dishes, however, I dont see myself ever eating it again.  I should never say never but.....I dont see it.  It's been 2 years for me come this February since I gave up meat.   I didnt do it for health reasons, I did it for the animals.  After watching some of the documentaries, I just couldn't bring myself to eat it again. I dont make myself crazy about it though. I dont dig into every ingredient in a dish, for example.  Some things that are served are made with chicken stock, I dont make a fuss.  I just dont use the stuff when I am cooking. 

I will say though, I eat seafood occasionally/rarely, but it doesnt feel right, so I may eliminate that all together in the near future.  Just not there yet.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

I understand it is process, but the mistreatment of animals continue even with the byproducts.   Milk, cheese, eggs....it's so disgusting how these products are obtained. 

Unfortunately fish/seafood is still eating meat, so declaring abstinence while still consuming fish/seafood is not abstinence. 

I feel you're almost there!

Do you have a particular reason why fish/seafood and dairy/eggs still need to be consumed?   Is it just taste or do you feel these products need to be consumed for health?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@aprilskies

I understand it is process, but the mistreatment of animals continue even with the byproducts.   Milk, cheese, eggs....it's so disgusting how these products are obtained. 

Unfortunately fish/seafood is still eating meat, so declaring abstinence while still consuming fish/seafood is not abstinence. 

I feel you're almost there!

Do you have a particular reason why fish/seafood and dairy/eggs still need to be consumed?   Is it just taste or do you feel these products need to be consumed for health?  

This is a pretty broad statement and not really true about all milk, cheese, eggs, etc. For example, I don't eat eggs but do use them in cooking and I belong to a small co-op where I can exchange goods for eggs or pay them (they are pricey), whichever I choose (evenutally I will have a few of my own chickens). All the people that particpate in this co-op know each other and we can go their places any time and observe their animals and living conditions. Not a single person abuses or mistreats their animals and if there were even a sneaking suspicion that they were, we'd do further investigation and they would be kicked out of the co-op if the findings showed the animals were mistreated. Not all products are available all the time either as no one wants to overstress an animal. All animals are free range too- no cages, no forced containment of any kind.

I think we do the cause a misjustice when we paint with such broad strokes like that. But that is just my opinion. We all have to do what we think is right.