Honored Contributor

It turns out that most vegan organic farming uses animal products in the soil.  California now has a Vegan Organic farm that uses no soil or substance with animal contributions.

They actually train insects to help produce the right growing conditions.  I suspect this will become pretty popular.

We learned of this last night on a special news report, but there's also information online.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine is a vegan farmer. His crop is veganic mmj. I've been learning about this new way of cultivation. It's becoming popular here. People want it more and more.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vegan Organic Farming

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

A friend of mine is a vegan farmer. His crop is veganic mmj. I've been learning about this new way of cultivation. It's becoming popular here. People want it more and more.

@SilleeMee

There are a few here, too, that I am aware of.  One I talk to at the farmer's market and another I know of through our Food Co-op.

And others use manure from their farm, from cows and chickens who are just hanging around, eating and pooping.  They live out their lives there and aren't sent off to slaughter.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Hi @SilleeMee

I find it fascinating!  Evidently the animal components in the soil can get into the food, so the new type of farmers are trying alternatives.  It sounded like it's catching on around the Bay Area.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vegan Organic Farming

[ Edited ]

For people who use mmj, the absence of animal products is somehow beneficial for them. The veganic mmj is said to be highly pure and potent, especially the cannabis oil which is concentrated enough already. My friend was saying that when his plants get processed into oil, the concentration process not only concentrates the plant itself but also any chemicals, fertilizers or animal meds/hormones that may be present. So people who are sick prefer not to use something that has 'contaminants' in it.  @Noel7