Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

The fertility anti vaxx conspiracy theory floating around facebook was about female fertility not male fertility. Male fertility never came into it. And it was based off one European anti vaxxer's false speculation in aid of his stance against people getting the flu vaccine, as well as a completely imaginary fictional Amazon Prime show from 2013 with a plot twist about adulterated flu vaccines.

And flu vaccines have not caused infertility. So that's that.

"Indeed, data from the human studies of the Pfizer vaccine don’t bear out this theory. In the Pfizer trial, which included more than 37,000 people, women were given pregnancy tests before they were accepted to the study. They were excluded if they were already pregnant. During the trial, 23 women conceived, likely by accident. Twelve of these pregnancies happened in the vaccine group, and 11 in the placebo group. They continued to be followed as part of the study.

Paul Offit, MD, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, says this idea really crumbles when you consider that more than 22 million people in the United States have been infected by SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In fact, experts believe that number is much higher because 22 million is just the number who have been tested and found. Most think the real number is at least 3 times that high.

Offit says to consider that 70 million Americans have been infected, or about 20% of the population. If the infertility theory was true, he says, you’d expect that the body making antibodies against the natural infection would show up in our fertility statistics. It hasn’t.

“There's no evidence that this pandemic has changed fertility patterns,” Offit says."

@Porcelain   Thanks so much for this info.  I appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers   That's a great idea.  It never entered my mind. Thanks.  I think I'll let his mom suggest that!

Respected Contributor

@jubilant - The University of Miami is doing a fertility study on men who take the COVID -19 innoculations.  The researchers are aware that SARS-CoV-2 stayed in men's sperm for up to six months post infection. Researchers wanted to know the effect of the virus on sperm and on reproduction.  Now, they are also desirous of understanding how the inoculations might also affect the sperm and fertility.  Men in the study are being asked to freeze their sperm in the event that the inoculations are found to affect fertility.

Also, prior research by one of the manufacturers on mRNA inoculations for a completely different respiratory virus were discovered to deposit some mRNA from the inoculation into the testes of male mice, so the concern about fertility in males post-inoculation with an mRNA product indeed warrants further investigation and research.  It is not a baseless, anti-anything kind of research, but a pro-legitimate-science kind of thing. Until this research is completed, no one can say with any truthfulness that fertility will not be affected by these novel, never-before-used-in-humans mRNA inoculations. It would have been nice for this research to have been conducted on amimals, with the results published, prior to the release of these mRNA products the the population.

Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccine today

[ Edited ]

@Jersey Born   Very interesting and good to know. Thank you. I will pass this on to my daughter so she can relay this message to my grandson.  He's such a good kid and he is so good with children so I do understand why he wants to be  careful.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

The fertility anti vaxx conspiracy theory floating around facebook was about female fertility not male fertility. Male fertility never came into it. And it was based off one European anti vaxxer's false speculation in aid of his stance against people getting the flu vaccine, as well as a completely imaginary fictional Amazon Prime show from 2013 with a plot twist about adulterated flu vaccines.

"Indeed, data from the human studies of the Pfizer vaccine don’t bear out this theory. In the Pfizer trial, which included more than 37,000 people, women were given pregnancy tests before they were accepted to the study. They were excluded if they were already pregnant. During the trial, 23 women conceived, likely by accident. Twelve of these pregnancies happened in the vaccine group, and 11 in the placebo group. They continued to be followed as part of the study.

Paul Offit, MD, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, says this idea really crumbles when you consider that more than 22 million people in the United States have been infected by SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. In fact, experts believe that number is much higher because 22 million is just the number who have been tested and found. Most think the real number is at least 3 times that high.

Offit says to consider that 70 million Americans have been infected, or about 20% of the population. If the infertility theory was true, he says, you’d expect that the body making antibodies against the natural infection would show up in our fertility statistics. It hasn’t.

“There's no evidence that this pandemic has changed fertility patterns,” Offit says."

@jubilant , I'm confused.  I thought your son was concerned about the vaccine causing infertility but what @Porcelain cited seems to be talking about the virus itself.   

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@jubilant , I'm confused.  I thought your son was concerned about the vaccine causing infertility but what @Porcelain cited seems to be talking about the virus itself.   

@Lipstickdiva   I think I'm a little confused?  I will go back and reread.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva   I see what you mean.  I get confused more easily these days.  Thanks for pointing it out. I get it now. It IS  the vaccine  my grandson is worried about.    Another one of my "brain farts" (as my kids say!)  

Esteemed Contributor

Got first Moderna shot yesterday. Injection site is sore this morning but otherwise no problem.

Respected Contributor

On Tuesday, PA opened vaccinations to the 65 and over group.  Dh and I have appts next Thursday and Friday.  I scheduled both during the same phone call but in the time it took to ask dh the same questions as they'd asked me, mine is Thursday afternoon and his is Friday morning.  The vac site is close enough that we're fine with this situation.  Just thankful to be on the schedule.

Since it looks like several folks here had their vaccination last week, I'm curious as to what side-effects any of you have experienced over the days following your vaccination? 

Honored Contributor

DH just got his second Moderna shot a little bit ago. He's waiting the requisite 15-20 minutes before coming home. Says he feels fine, arm a little sore and stiff. Good news so far.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr