Frequent Contributor

Where we are in Pennsylvania they are still only vaccinating Phase 1A, soon to move to Phase 1B.  If you are like me and right under 65 yrs with no health issues...you have to wait until Phase 2. I probably won't get a shot until the end of May or June. They are unfortunately moving very slow. Smiley Sad 

Esteemed Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@On It wrote:

About two hours ago our city posted a notice that beginning March 29 anyone 18 or older could schedule an appointment to get the COVID vaccine. After a few minutes I saw that the entire state would be open to anyone who wanted to get vaccinated. This is where the mysterious part begins. It was only yesterday that the age was lowered to those between 50-65 and to all teachers. An announcement was made that there were appointments available for this week's community clinic and to please register. About a half hour later another message was posted opening this week's time slots to anyone over 18. They also invited walk-ups to come to the vaccination site. An entire group spanning 15 years plus all teachers did not fill up the appointments. What is going on?

Believe it or not, not everyone feels compelled to get the vaccine. Eighty percent of deaths are in people over age 65 and Covid is not particularly dangerous for those under 50. I think we will continue to see a decline in demand for the vaccine.

@froggy 30% of the military have refused the Covid vaccine. I got my first dose of Moderna with the second on Apr l4. I couldn't believe the warning I was giving on the second shot and not looking forward to it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Some people don't want the J&J vaccine and are waiting for the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to return. There's a lot of vaccine hesitancy in the under 65 groups too. 

Super Contributor

Re: Vaccine demand mystery

[ Edited ]

Here in my state they reduced it from 55 and over to 16 and over today.

It filled up pretty quickly.   I think it's a mix of having a lot of vaccines and the 55-65 group either had received vaccines before or some are not getting.   It isn't perfect.  A friend of mine his daughter and son, both under 30 got vaccinated at Walgreens during the 55 plus group, so who knows.

I am glad to see that when they opened it up it really took hold, but seems like a mess to not do it in groups.  

Someone on the radio here said perhaps the Pfizer vaccine which is the hardest to keep would be thrown out soon and they wanted to preserve it.  Most Pfizer here are going at the state run sites.

I got mine 2 weeks ago at Walgreens and get my 2nd soon.  Just glad I did it when I did. I have a co-worker who is 59 and she still hasn't made her appt and now she is running into lack of vacancies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

Here in my state they reduced it from 55 and over to 16 and over today.

It filled up pretty quickly.   I think it's a mix of having a lot of vaccines and the 55-65 group either had received vaccines before or some are not getting.   It isn't perfect.  A friend of mine his daughter and son, both under 30 got vaccinated at Walgreens during the 55 plus group, so who knows.

I am glad to see that when they opened it up it really took hold, but seems like a mess to not do it in groups.  

Someone on the radio here said perhaps the Pfizer vaccine which is the hardest to keep would be thrown out soon and they wanted to preserve it.  Most Pfizer here are going at the state run sites.

I got mine 2 weeks ago at Walgreens and get my 2nd soon.  Just glad I did it when I did. I have a co-worker who is 59 and she still hasn't made her appt and now she is running into lack of vacancies.

Think part of the problem is that those who are under 65 are likely still working.  Many of the clinics around here seem to be during the week.  So unless you can take some time off (multiple days) they may not be filling.  Weekend appointments are at a premium.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Herd immunity will not happen until 80 to 90% of persons have either had Covid and survived or until vaccinated. Younger people can and do get ill and some die. They are trying to get more people vaccinated before the third wave hits which is already happening in Europe. I don't understand people willing to play Russian roulette when a vaccine is more available.