Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccine Good News for a change

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

From Ron Klain WH Chief of Staff:

50 million shots given in the past 37 days - no other country has done it.

There are about 55 Million Americans who are over 65:

-- Six weeks ago only 8% had gotten a shot

-- Today almost 50% have gotten at least one shot

Long way to go, but don't get discouraged we are making progress.

Great news but when a 67 year old woman with Type 1 diabetes, 2 heart attacks and a stroke can find no place to get the vaccination because of being told it is her zip code, something is wrong.

Having spent hours on my computer, I have been turned down time and time again. When I asked yesterday on the phone, the man told me it was my zip code. He refused to clarify why. Three times this month I was told the same thing.

I tried everywhere but even when it says vaccines available, I plug in my town and it comes up with no vaccines available within 25 miles of your town. I asked to be on a waiting list and was told there was no such thing.

@Trinity11 

So has my 80year-old husband with 4 prior stents, quadruple bypass, 5-shot/day diabetes, pulmonary arterial hypertension, pacemaker in situ and continued atrial fib-flutter and s/p colon cancer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

As for who's heard what and who hasn't, it could also be a function of the reality that many of us are primarily concerned with getting ourselves and families vaccinated and are not so invested in following daily statistics... That fifty percent of seniors and others at risk might have had a single shot doesn't mean much for those going into their second month of waiting to be scheduled, and when the system of distribution, overall, still seems to be one in disarray...

@stevieb 

About half the seniors in my community still have not gotten theirs while most of the healthcare workers have gotten theirs and some of the 50-age group have received theirs.  I don't know who is deciding what is given to and by whom but I heard the administraton is very upset that Florida is giving it to their seniors first, when they should be giving it to the most needy so there will be an investigation into Florida as to why they are giving it to the elderly first.

@Nonametoday Wonder how they're defining 'most needy'. No wait, one can probably guess. Seniors are clearly more at risk, as are those with existing conditions and they should have some priority, but then one could only surmise priorities would shift... No one is paying for this vaccine, so I don't get what 'most needy' has to do with anything... Can we say 'hot mess'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

From Ron Klain WH Chief of Staff:

50 million shots given in the past 37 days - no other country has done it.

There are about 55 Million Americans who are over 65:

-- Six weeks ago only 8% had gotten a shot

-- Today almost 50% have gotten at least one shot

Long way to go, but don't get discouraged we are making progress.

Great news but when a 67 year old woman with Type 1 diabetes, 2 heart attacks and a stroke can find no place to get the vaccination because of being told it is her zip code, something is wrong.

Having spent hours on my computer, I have been turned down time and time again. When I asked yesterday on the phone, the man told me it was my zip code. He refused to clarify why. Three times this month I was told the same thing.

I tried everywhere but even when it says vaccines available, I plug in my town and it comes up with no vaccines available within 25 miles of your town. I asked to be on a waiting list and was told there was no such thing.

@Trinity11 

So has my 80year-old husband with 4 prior stents, quadruple bypass, 5-shot/day diabetes, pulmonary arterial hypertension, pacemaker in situ and continued atrial fib-flutter and s/p colon cancer.

@Nonametoday , I just don't get it. Are you also in New York? I just tried Walgreens and I got to where they ask first applicable statement which was age 65 and older. Told me they had it and to continue. Filled in my zip and was told there was nothing available. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

As for who's heard what and who hasn't, it could also be a function of the reality that many of us are primarily concerned with getting ourselves and families vaccinated and are not so invested in following daily statistics... That fifty percent of seniors and others at risk might have had a single shot doesn't mean much for those going into their second month of waiting to be scheduled, and when the system of distribution, overall, still seems to be one in disarray...

@stevieb 

About half the seniors in my community still have not gotten theirs while most of the healthcare workers have gotten theirs and some of the 50-age group have received theirs.  I don't know who is deciding what is given to and by whom but I heard the administraton is very upset that Florida is giving it to their seniors first, when they should be giving it to the most needy so there will be an investigation into Florida as to why they are giving it to the elderly first.

@Nonametoday Wonder how they're defining 'most needy'. No wait, one can probably guess. Seniors are clearly more at risk, as are those with existing conditions and they should have some priority, but then one could only surmise priorities would shift... No one is paying for this vaccine, so I don't get what 'most needy' has to do with anything... Can we say 'hot mess'...

My husband thinks it's been so mishandled ....well I will get banned if I share his thoughts but he told me all day, I am just wasting my time @stevieb 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  I suspect many of us are in the same boat. Despite all the flowery prose in the 'national plan' it would appear that despite all the gilding of the lily, very little has opened up over the past month. Sooner or later it will, and whether we like it or not, it appears we're just going to have to wait for the supply chain to function... Sheesh, it's like looking for toilet paper all over again... From my perspective, your husband is right, it has been and continues to be poorly managed and believe me, his words are probably not all that different from mine. You're right, though, probably best to stay mum here... Smiley Wink

I only hope those of us forced to wait will, perhaps, have vaccine options. I suspect we won't, unless we wait a very long time, but hope springs eternal... I don't go out much anyway, but was so hoping to get this vaccine more quickly for my mother and me, so we might enjoy a few more outings than has been the case now for more than a year... I guess remaining virtual hermits is the only option...

Even if doses aren't available in your zipcode, do get registered with your health department and whatever other entities you choose... If you aren't registered you won't be on anybody's radar... Good luck to you and to all of us in at risk groups... It really shouldn't have unfolded this way; and while it won't make any difference, I'm sure, I plan to let certain officials in my area know my thoughts about how this is being managed, whether they want to know them or not...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@Bhvbum 

I was notified by mychart connected to my doctor's office just yesterday, and I was able to get an appt today.  I told several of

my friends in the 65+ age group, and all of them got appts as well.

When I arrived, there was a short line, social distanced, and

workers guiding along the way.  It was seamless and well

organized. 

I got the Moderna with the second vaccine scheduled in

26 days.

It is moving along quickly, and our counties are showing the results as well.  Very very pleased. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Nonametoday 

I don’t know who are the ‘they’ and the ‘administration’ that you mention conducting an investigation but from Multiple media sources I understand that there was a ‘pop up kiosk’  in Palm Beach for those residents only.  

Hardly an area of ‘the most needey’. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

The mychart that is connected to our physician's office as well as the hospital he uses has made everything so easy.

After a visit with the doctor, it is possible to log on, get all the lab results, any suggestions that were made, etc.

By signing up, I was contacted regarding the vaccine availability

as well as scheduling right on line.

A relative in WA told me he has the same thing, so I believe mychart is available around the country.

I was so afraid I would have to chase around for a vaccine.

I have heard of people going online to vaccinefinder and making appts at local CVS pharmacies.

Honored Contributor

Clearly, where we live makes a huge difference in how easy or difficult it is for us to get our vaccines.  

I'm in a state where things are going well, with just a hiccup here and there.   It seems about half of the posters here make similar comments.  Those who aren't in the same sutuation....please let your elected officials know they're  not doing their jobs. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11  I'm in Rockland and most here are going to the Javits Center and are in and out. It seems like most of our allotment went to a certain area and left us with hardly any, that's why everyone's crossing the bridge for the vaccine. Our problem seems to be with the Governor giving most of it to the ones who vote for him.