Honored Contributor

Re: Vaccine Good News for a change

@Bhvbum wrote:

From Ron Klain WH Chief of Staff:

50 million shots given in the past 37 days - no other country has done it.

It seems that the number of deaths during this time has increased incredibly.  That is troubling.  Over 100,000K.

Honored Contributor

It seems this J&J vaccine has a better chance of people being not being hospitalized/dying and I'm wondering if people who've already been vaccinated by one of the other two will be jumping in line for the J&J one, too.  Makes for longer lines for others.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It seems this J&J vaccine has a better chance of people being not being hospitalized/dying and I'm wondering if people who've already been vaccinated by one of the other two will be jumping in line for the J&J one, too.  Makes for longer lines for others.

@Lucky Charm 

I'm not sure what you are referring to.  Nothing I've seen or read indicated that the J&J vaccine had a "better chance of people not being hospitalized/dying.  If anything, some people are shying away from the J&J. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

I'm not sure what you are referring to.  Nothing I've seen or read indicated that the J&J vaccine had a "better chance of people not being hospitalized/dying.  If anything, some people are shying away from the J&J. 

@shoesnbags A woman on ABC local news this morning said that the J&J vaccine gave you a better chance of staying out of the hospital and the morgue.  I think she said over 44K people were vaccinated with it in the trials, there were no deaths and no one who contracted covid needed to be hospitalized.  

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

This doesn't seem to square with reporting that 100 milion doses were administered by Jan 22.

@Isobel Archer, I am not sure where that is coming from?  I am not aware of any publication or legitimate report that 100 million doses of covid-19 were administered by Jan. 22. 

I do know that current goal is to vaccinate 100 million people within the first 100 days of the administration.  But the first date of that count would start on Jan. 20, 2021 and conclude sometime late April, early May.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

@shoesnbags A woman on ABC local news this morning said that the J&J vaccine gave you a better chance of staying out of the hospital and the morgue.  I think she said over 44K people were vaccinated with it in the trials, there were no deaths and no one who contracted covid needed to be hospitalized.  

@Lucky Charm 

Just 2 of the many references I found when I googled comparison of the 3 vaccines:

"While J&J’s single-dose structure has a strong appeal, some people have questioned whether they should get it due to its low efficacy rate. J&J’s global trial data show that the vaccine is only 66 percent effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 infections. Its average efficacy rate in the U.S. is slightly higher at 72 percent, still lagging far behind the 95 percent rate achieved by Moderna and Pfizer. Still, for less vulnerable populations, it is far superior than no vaccine at all" (Observer.com)

• Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine was shown to be 66% effective at preventing mild and moderate infections, and 85% effective at preventing severe disease, in FDA data released Wednesday.
  • It doesn't appear to be as effective as Moderna or Pfizer's mRNA vaccines, though it is nearly just as good at preventing hospitalizations and deaths.
  • It has the benefits of being cheap and relatively easy to manufacture and distribute. It only requires one shot in the arm, and side effects tend to be milder. (BusinessInsider.com)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Lucky Charm 

@Lucky Charm 

Just 2 of the many references I found when I googled comparison of the 3 vaccines:

"While J&J’s single-dose structure has a strong appeal, some people have questioned whether they should get it due to its low efficacy rate. J&J’s global trial data show that the vaccine is only 66 percent effective at preventing symptomatic COVID-19 infections. Its average efficacy rate in the U.S. is slightly higher at 72 percent, still lagging far behind the 95 percent rate achieved by Moderna and Pfizer. Still, for less vulnerable populations, it is far superior than no vaccine at all" (Observer.com)

• Johnson & Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine was shown to be 66% effective at preventing mild and moderate infections, and 85% effective at preventing severe disease, in FDA data released Wednesday.
  • It doesn't appear to be as effective as Moderna or Pfizer's mRNA vaccines, though it is nearly just as good at preventing hospitalizations and deaths.
  • It has the benefits of being cheap and relatively easy to manufacture and distribute. It only requires one shot in the arm, and side effects tend to be milder. (BusinessInsider.com)

I found an ABC NEWS website that said practically the exact same thing I posted, which is what I heard on the *news* this morning.  85% effective of severity of illness from covid and 100% effective of no hospitalization and death.

Don't know if those are the same with the others (no hospitalization/death at 100%)?

Don't know if they are to be believed?

Respected Contributor

I can certainly believe that 50 million Americans have received at least one vaccination to date.

In Kentucky, the tally is currently 655,275 unique persons have been vaccinated.  Unique persons means first dose.  It doesn't include the 2nd dose.  

Since that tally would include all US states and territories it isn't hard to imagine that 50 million vaccines have been given.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

I honestly don't know if any of them can be believed at this point! (cue hysterical laughter)  Stay well, friend.Heart

Honored Contributor

Since there seems to be some question or confusion about the numbers, perhaps the White House Chief of Staff, the entity quoted in the original post, should cite his data source... Just sayin'... Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...