Honored Contributor

VEGANS, please help with two questions I have (time sensitive)

#1 Which option would you choose

The Protective Diet or Happy Herbivore?

#2 What brand of cheese is your favorite? I prefer a soy free, dairy free, oil free

Thanks so much for your help. I hope everyone had a wonderful start to the holiday season!

Occasional Contributor

Re: VEGANS, please help with two questions I have (time sensitive)

I am a Vegan of 3 years.  I love Happy Herbivore.  In your question about cheese, ALL vegan cheese has FAT.  Whether it comes from oil or nuts.

Dont worry about that though, it is still the healthiest diet out there.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123

I've only watched/read Happy Herbivore's videos & books, but I was a member of PD for 5-6 months.  Here are the differences I see...in my own opinion:

-) HH is more for families.  Lindsey is an amazing 'batch cooker' (videos on YouTube)

-) HH is more menu driven...again, for families.

-) I don't see her addressing the why behind overeating...if that's one of the reasons for changing diet.

-) Cost..?

-) LIndsey's style is very warm & inviting

-) PD has an amazing community.  FB, weekly live teleconferences, Saturday morning hourly chats w/ Julie Marie...always someone online to help.

-) Cost:  $30/month for all the recipes & education conferences

-) PD's education is more than food...storage, meal planning, why behind emotional eating.  The biggest lesson she addresses...learning to recognize & remove additives from your diet which cause one to overeat.

-) PD is more for one that has an unhealthy emotional connection with food.

Julie Marie based her PD diet & education off the learnings of Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn & T. Colin Campbell.  The 50/50 plate is mentioned continually.  I learned ALOT with PD, but many of her recipes have soy, which my thyroid doesn't like.   

Many of these plant-based programs are spinoffs from the teachings of Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell, Joel Furhman, Neal Barnard and Dr. John McDougall.    Note I said "plant-based"...many, including Julie Marie, distance themselves from the word 'vegan' due to the different meanings society has placed upon that word.

I'm a big proponent of the McDougall Diet...have been for almost 20 years.  His website has the program outlined for free...and there's a large Facebook community.   I always learn something new when I go to these other websites & programs....but I always go back to my foundational learnings of Dr. John McDougall. 

Original question...I would choose PD for the education aspect.

Cheese:  if making macaroni & cheese, or something like that, there are many online recipes for 'cheese' using nutritional yeast, carrots & potatoes.  For singles, Daiya brand is good...but only for occasional use due to the fat content.

HTH! 

Trusted Contributor

I've been vegan for 20 years and vegetarian for 5 prior to that.  The only food I've missed is cheese.  The only brand I will buy is Daiya, and that's after trying a lot. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@butterfly123

I've only watched/read Happy Herbivore's videos & books, but I was a member of PD for 5-6 months.  Here are the differences I see...in my own opinion:

-) HH is more for families.  Lindsey is an amazing 'batch cooker' (videos on YouTube)

-) HH is more menu driven...again, for families.

-) I don't see her addressing the why behind overeating...if that's one of the reasons for changing diet.

-) Cost..?

-) LIndsey's style is very warm & inviting

-) PD has an amazing community.  FB, weekly live teleconferences, Saturday morning hourly chats w/ Julie Marie...always someone online to help.

-) Cost:  $30/month for all the recipes & education conferences

-) PD's education is more than food...storage, meal planning, why behind emotional eating.  The biggest lesson she addresses...learning to recognize & remove additives from your diet which cause one to overeat.

-) PD is more for one that has an unhealthy emotional connection with food.

Julie Marie based her PD diet & education off the learnings of Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn & T. Colin Campbell.  The 50/50 plate is mentioned continually.  I learned ALOT with PD, but many of her recipes have soy, which my thyroid doesn't like.   

Many of these plant-based programs are spinoffs from the teachings of Drs. Caldwell Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell, Joel Furhman, Neal Barnard and Dr. John McDougall.    Note I said "plant-based"...many, including Julie Marie, distance themselves from the word 'vegan' due to the different meanings society has placed upon that word.

I'm a big proponent of the McDougall Diet...have been for almost 20 years.  His website has the program outlined for free...and there's a large Facebook community.   I always learn something new when I go to these other websites & programs....but I always go back to my foundational learnings of Dr. John McDougall. 

Original question...I would choose PD for the education aspect.

Cheese:  if making macaroni & cheese, or something like that, there are many online recipes for 'cheese' using nutritional yeast, carrots & potatoes.  For singles, Daiya brand is good...but only for occasional use due to the fat content.

HTH! 

Thank you for the review.  I had never heard of the Protective Diet. I was fortunate to meet Caldwell Esselstyn, Joel Furman, Chef AJ, Rich Roll, Miyoko, Matt Frazier and others during Marshall, Texas' HealthFest in March this year.  Found out about this festival by accident.  It is only a 2 hr drive from Dallas, where I live, so I went as I wanted to learn more.  Very informative and to have such distinquished speakers in one place was amazing.  I've been vegeterian for awhile but haven't made the switch to vegan.  But after HealthFest, I am closer .

Honored Contributor

Thank you Sidsmom

I appreciate the time you took to reply to my questions.  Are there any other websites you find especially useful that you are willing to share?  I appreciate you and your knowlege.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Vickie00

Happy Herbivore is offering their program on sale on Monday 11/30/2015 and The Protective Diet is waiving their $100 fee thru 11/30/2015.  Just in case either program interests you.

Trusted Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

Vickie00

Happy Herbivore is offering their program on sale on Monday 11/30/2015 and The Protective Diet is waiving their $100 fee thru 11/30/2015.  Just in case either program interests you.

I appreciate the information.  Thank you

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

I don't recall a $100 enrollment fee for Protective Diet when I joined....that must be something new. I think that would've been a deal breaker for me...especially since she has so much free content to whet my appetite for knowledge!

Julie Marie's initial business, several years ago, was called "Plant Purity".

-) Go to YouTube...search for a channel called "Plant Purity". There are close to 15 recipe videos on the channel...free.
-) Go to Google...again, search for "Plant Purity". She had a Food Journal w/ pictures of her daily meals....free.
-) Even the Protective Diet website has hours of Humana videos...free.

Between Plant Purity & Protective Diet, you have HOURS of free content. If you join PD, there will be close to 60 additional hours of archived member-only videos.

I say jump in today without the Enrollment Fee...participate & binge watch all those achieved videos for a month or 2 & see if you like it. I'm assuming it's still month to month membership...cancelling would be easy. View it as an educational investment.

Even though I branch out to these 'side programs' from time to time, I always go back to the foundational leaders of the current plant-based movement. I love to listen & read the teachings of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn & Dr. John McDougall.

There is SO much free content out there...with YouTube videos, Facebook groups & websites (Forks Over Knives & McDougall Diet) for knowledge & inspiration, we really can do all this at no cost...only a time investment.

HTH! Soak all this in....holler back if you have additional ??s!

Honored Contributor

sidsmom,

Thank you for the additional information.  You are a wealth of knowledge.  I jumped on board the Protectve Diet program yesterday.  I am looking forward to spending time learning about the program and finding other books to read also. Be well and Thank You!