Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Just wanted to say that I have the utmost respect for those who choose veganism for ethical reasons.  My own diet is mostly plants, lots of green leafies, fruits.

What I have an issue with are dodgy studies that don't prove better health, and even worse, those dodgy studies that assert "cures".

They are not 'dodgy' studies.  The information is everywhere.  

It's been proven time & time & time again animal products/byproducts,

oils & other processed foods are not good for us.  

Never have been, are not, and never will be.  

It's not that hard to understand. 

Once someone gets it & sees results (and I'm proud to have someone

in this thread who has recently discovered the power of the plant for

her health/life), everything that is said makes so.much.sense. 

I'm happy for the OP who is willing to try new things with his/her friends.

@sidsmom...just one clarification. Diabetes is a very complex illness. Eating plants will help everyone ..no matter how long they have had Type 2 diabetes. However, diabetes is a progressive disease. Once beta cells have been burned out the body can not re-juvenate them no matter the diet. Medication will be necessary but perhaps less of it. A newly diagnosed diabetic may be able to go into remission but a diabetic that has had the illness for years..some of the damage has been done, unfortunately.

I hope you are doing well. My journey eating more plants has been fun. I visited a Farmer's market for fresh produce and there is a world of difference in the quality from my regular supermarket. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom...just one clarification. Diabetes is a very complex illness. Eating plants will help everyone ..no matter how long they have had Type 2 diabetes. However, diabetes is a progressive disease. Once beta cells have been burned out the body can not re-juvenate them no matter the diet. Medication will be necessary but perhaps less of it. A newly diagnosed diabetic may be able to go into remission but a diabetic that has had the illness for years..some of the damage has been done, unfortunately.

I hope you are doing well. My journey eating more plants has been fun. I visited a Farmer's market for fresh produce and there is a world of difference in the quality from my regular supermarket. 

@Trinity11

You are so correct. Diabetes is a complicated condition.

But I have to disagree.

T1 is a condition of antibodies attacking the pancreas &

T2 is about insulin resistance.

Two totally separate animals.

T2 doesn't turn into T1...unless the T2 patient was mis-diagnosed

in the first place.

When I was part of that summit I told you about, Mastering Diabetes,

Dr. Wes Youngberg was talking about Type 3 Diabetes & the Alzheimer connections...and he mentioned (*to my recollection & I don't have a replay) that Type 1 diabetics could still have beta activity. The testing to determine a new T1 is based on a certain % of activity...once it reaches that level, you're diagnosed as T1 & testing concludes....but the body still has activity.  Is that true for everyone?  Not necessarily, but he did mention there are tests which determine that remaining activity.  That makes sense...since even T1s respond well to a low fat, plant based protocol.  Remove the intramyocellular lipids, T2 will become insulin sensitive & the pancreas will work as long as the immune system didn't destroy the beta activity.

In summary, I'll stand behind my statement of Type 2 can be cured w/ diet & lifestyle...no matter what the stage. Though, no matter what belief, it just reinforces the power of diet.

Farmer's Market...gosh, I haven't been to one in a very long time. Wonderful you are able to make a shift to plants during the best time of the year.  It's like Mother Nature's gift to Trinity11!! 🌼💛

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11

But I have to disagree.

in the first place.

Dr. Wes Youngberg was talking about Type 3 Diabetes & the Alzheimer connections...and he mentioned (*to my recollection & I don't have a replay) that Type 1 diabetics could still have beta activity. The testing to determine a new T1 is based on a certain % of activity...once it reaches that level, you're diagnosed as T1 & testing concludes....but the body still has activity.  Is that true for everyone?  Not necessarily, but he did mention there are tests which determine that remaining activity.  That makes sense...since even T1s respond well to a low fat, plant based protocol.  Remove the intramyocellular lipids, T2 will become insulin sensitive & the pancreas will work as long as the immune system didn't destroy the beta activity.

In summary, I'll stand behind my statement of Type 2 can be cured w/ diet & lifestyle...no matter what the stage. Though, no matter what belief, it just reinforces the power of diet.

Farmer's Market...gosh, I haven't been to one in a very long time. Wonderful you are able to make a shift to plants during the best time of the year.  It's like Mother Nature's gift to Trinity11!! 🌼💛

Type 1 honeymoon phase where initially the body does produce insulin, yes. However, it does not last. It is a fallacy to say it will stay that way. No diet can cure it. If diet cured Type 1....it would be a landmark coup!!

I have been diabetic for almost 50 years, taught newly diagnosed diabetics through a hospital based program and stand by the facts..once the beta cells are damaged meds are necessary. Type 2 diabetes Cannot be cured in everyone. It would be a grave injustice and fallacy to promote that myth. Any doctor who does should lose his license. It is part of the science that defines the disease ..plants are healing but saying they can cure Type 2 diabetes is like saying breast cancer can be cured by eating plants. It then becomes junk science which needs to be avoided at all costs...

Honored Contributor

Re: VEGAN DIETS

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11

But I have to disagree.

in the first place.

Type 1 honeymoon phase where initially the body does produce insulin, yes. However, it does not last. It is a fallacy to say it will stay that way. No diet can cure it. If diet cured Type 1....it would be a landmark coup!!

I have been diabetic for almost 50 years, taught newly diagnosed diabetics through a hospital based program and stand by the facts..once the beta cells are damaged meds are necessary. Type 2 diabetes Cannot be cured in everyone. It would be a grave injustice and fallacy to promote that myth. Any doctor who does should lose his license. It is part of the science that defines the disease ..plants are healing but saying they can cure Type 2 diabetes is like saying breast cancer can be cured by eating plants. It then becomes junk science which needs to be avoided at all costs...

Nope.   Never did say food can cure T1.

My conversations have a.l.w.a.y.s been very, very clear I was talking about T2 diabetes.  But it seems whenever there's a casual diabetic conversation on this forum, the Type 1 diabetics come out.  Type 1 is a completely different animal.  And as someone with T1, I'm surprised I need to point this out to you.

Yes, diet & lifestyle play a HUGE part with the cure of T2.  

It's not a myth.

Funny thing, both sides of the dietary camp will say 'cure'.

Low carb diabetics have very promenient diabetes doctors (Fung) using the word 'cure'...but of course, the low fat/plant based camp is sustainable, whereas the low carb camp isn't.  The word 'cure' in connection with diabetes isn't just a plant based idea.

And, yes...breast cancer...we know it's caused by food, especially dairy,

so I have the belief food & lifestyle can cure/permanent remission it, as well. 

--------------

This thread was originally about plant-based protein sources.

I would say, if anyone wants to talk about low carb diabetes, there's a very popular diabetic thread on this forum. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Trinity11

But I have to disagree.

in the first place.

Nope.   Never did say food can cure T1.

My conversations have a.l.w.a.y.s been very, very clear I was talking about T2 diabetes.  But it seems whenever there's a casual diabetic conversation on this forum, the Type 1 diabetics come out.  Type 1 is a completely different animal.  And as someone with T1, I'm surprised I need to point this out to you.

Yes, diet & lifestyle play a HUGE part with the cure of T2.  

It's not a myth.

Funny thing, both sides of the dietary camp will say 'cure'.

Low carb diabetics have very promenient diabetes doctors (Fung) using the word 'cure'...but of course, the low fat/plant based camp is sustainable, whereas the low carb camp isn't.  The word 'cure' in connection with diabetes isn't just a plant based idea.

And, yes...breast cancer...we know it's caused by food, especially dairy,

so I have the belief food & lifestyle can cure/permanent remission it, as well. 

--------------

This thread was originally about plant-based protein sources.

I would say, if anyone wants to talk about low carb diabetes, there's a very popular diabetic thread on this forum. 

..."we" do not know that breast cancer is caused by diet.  

Contributor

Hi!  Actually pound per pound, there is more protein in broccoli & spinach than meat Smiley Surprised)  A baked potato has 5 grams of protein so it can really add up!  I am a plant based eater, mostly raw vegan & I get lots of protein Smiley Surprised)  XOXOXOXOXO

Honored Contributor

Why be careful of carbs?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

How I feel...and look...after eating all the carbs!

Hubba Baby!! 

🥔🥔🥔🥔🍠🍚🥗🌽🥕🥒🍎🍐🍊🍋

IMG_2542.jpg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

How I feel...and look...after eating all the carbs!

Hubba Baby!! 

🥔🥔🥔🥔🍠🍚🥗🌽🥕🥒🍎🍐🍊🍋

IMG_2542.jpg

@sidsmom

Watch out, girl, someone is going to come along and tell you that Marilyn would be a plus size today.

hahahahahaha!

Honored Contributor

I have a friend that was vegan for over 20 years and one day decided to eat meat and no longer a vegan.  She said not enough variety or possibly got tired of eating the same thing over & over.  

kindness is strength