Super Contributor

Nuts, beans, lentils, chickpeas, soy and tofu are some of the  protein sources. Be careful of your carbs though as stated---- you can over do it.

Honored Contributor

@sgraham30 wrote:

I wish I knew of a vegan restaurant in the area that I live in (one of Chicago's NW suburbs) I've completely stopped eating out because most restaurants only have 1, maybe 2 offerings on their menu for those of us who choose not to eat animal protein, I got tired of having to eat the same meal pretty much every time I ate out.

Indian food.  They usually have both vegan and vegetarian options. Many Indian restaurants serve no meat at all. Others have two separate kitchens. Also some Asian restaurants specialize in vegan & vegetarian. If LA has them I'd assume Chicago would.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

Not a vegan, but quit meat/fish/fowl in then1970's. My most asked question was/ is WHY?  After my mother died, I wasn't quite 30 when she died, what I ate pretty much consisted of meat/fowl and fish, in that order.

All my mother's family died of heart related diseases, thus my maternal genetics. I sat down and said to self: "self, you do not feel all that good now and you are not yet 30 years old. Self, unless you change some things in your life, what makes you think getting older will make you feel better"?

Therin was my answer, thus my pursuit of finding out my cholesterol number and researching what those numbers meant. In the 1960's there were few sources available that answered my questions. My first number was 350 and my doctor said "within the normal range". I didn't know up from down at that time.

There was also the physicians answer to certain types of pain. "If it hurts when you do this quit doing this". This of course meaning exercising. That was the medical world then, heart attack? Rest and do less, you are overdoing it. They told my mother that during every doctor's visit. Being from an age of being independent, my mother began to lose her will to live. I could see it/feel it, and hear it when we talked.

At that time all I knew was "do what the doctor told you". Now I look back and understand how fortuitous I was for spending much of my off time pursuing more physical and medical information. I learned with each passing day, more and more about many related topics.

Anyways my choice of foods I eat goes back to variety/health and being as physically fit as possible. To this day, at 78, I still follow what I know has worked well for me, with a few necessary changes through the decades. 

I never made a big deal about it or made sure anyone knew about it. When asked I would answer, but never advocate that the one asking the question pursue my way of eating or exercising. Should someone, in person that I know, ask me for advice? I tell them and/or show them (exercises) that have worked for me. What they do with that info/advice is up to them.

THE END!

Next chapter of my autobiography?  Who knows? Not me!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

You sound like you know what your body needs, how to treat it and stay on track. Sometimes we all need the advice and care of the medical professionals to help things go as planned...and sometimes it doesn't matter at all WHAT anyone does to help. Things just fall where they will. 

I'm not a vegan, however, I do not eat four-legged creatures. I love my eggs and some dairy. Tofu and beans...YES! One of the things I remember reading about tofu is that ounce for ounce, it has the same amount of complete protein as found in chicken. I do enjoy chicken, too. My fave bird to eat is pheasant. I was a avid hunter long ago and have served many a pheasant under glass. Those days are behind me now. I would love for someone to serve me a pheasant under glass someday...yum.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

Re: VEGAN DIETS

[ Edited ]

@Elizabeth95, yes, I have, I was unable to find any. There used to a be a raw vegan cafe called Borrowed Earth Cafe in Downers Grove, IL but the owners closed it nearly 2 years ago. 

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde, I don't live in the city, I live an hour NW of Chicago, I won't travel an hour for a vegan/vegetarian meal.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Went to vegan restaurant w/ friend & don't understand the ins & outs. Where's the protein?

Giggle.

@phoenixbrd@SilleeMee@Caligurll

To my Plant Based posters....how many times have you heard this?

Classic. 

@sidsmomWay too many times!  I just say same place animals do--from plants!  By the way. have you seen What the Health on Netflix?  Excellent documentary, and it actually influenced two friends to go WFPB, who were previously semi vegetarian. 

I was going to start a thread about What the Health!

YesYesYesYes.  Forks Over Knives & What the Health

are the 1A & 1B of influential health films.  

Showing the 'sponsors' of big medicine is interesting.  

Having Oscar Meyer, KFC & Dominos be one of the sponsors

for American Diabetes/Cancer/Heart Association is 'eyebrow raising!'

So happy your 2 friends were enlightened!

@Poodlepet2

Have you see What The Health?  

You mentioned giving up dairy since it affects your glucose.

🌼

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom @Caligurll " Where do you get your protein"?  Same source your protein came from and lots of it...plants.  Depending on who is asking the question and their intent....my answer will differ.  Anyone who is facing a health crisis or has ethical issues re eating sentient animals, I will spend a lot of time on resources (books, films, social medial) and information because they are ready to listen.  Others who ask....most people have access to YouTube and I might recommend Emily at Bite Size Vegan (Where do you get your protein - this includes an interview with Michael Greiger) or Gary Yourofsky (Do Vegans get too much protein)....if interested in body building...perhaps Vegan Gains.  Yes @Caligurll  I watched What the Health about a week ago....awesome!  In dealing more with the economic resources and environmental impact, it will be heard and more accessible to people who are not as interested in (or ready to face) the ethical horrors of farm factory practices. It is a significant film up their with Earthlings, Cowspiracy but with a different emphasis.   I support anyone who becomes vegan for any reason and it usually starts with health and over time progresses to the ethical considerations (for me, a life time process).  Love you vegan sisters and I am saddened when I read blogs on the consumption of meat as favorite meals or popular recipes.  I have learned to temper my reaction.  The World Peace Diet and Dr. Tuttle has been helpful in this process.    Because I consider myself a voice for the voiceless, I will do whatever it takes to reach carnivores and I know that it is better to be understanding of the lack of knowledge.  I have a fierce heart but best to remain soft spoken, if I want to be heard. I, hopefully, don't preach and respond only if asked....unless there is a willing heart ready to become healthier, happier, and supportive of our planet and animals.

Sids and Cali.....for a giggle, have you ever watched Vegan Police (Can Vegans get too much protein with Kent and Kasey-) on You Tube?

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@sidsmom @Caligurll@ " Where do you get your protein"?  Same source your protein came from and lots of it...plants.  Depending on who is asking the question and their intent....my answer will differ.  Anyone who is facing a health crisis or has ethical issues re eating sentient animals, I will spend a lot of time on resources (books, films, social medial) and information because they are ready to listen.  Others who ask....most people have access to YouTube and I might recommend Emily at Bite Size Vegan (Where do you get your protein - this includes an interview with Michael Greiger) or Gary Yurofskey (Do Vegans get too much protein)....if interested in body building...perhaps Vegan Gains.  Yes @Caligurll  I watched What the Health about a week ago....awesome!  In dealing more with the economic resources and environmental impact, it will be heard and more accessible to people who are not as interested in (or ready to face) the ethical horrors of farm factory practices. It is a significant film up their with Earthlings, Cowspiracy but with a different emphasis.   I support anyone who becomes vegan for any reason and it usually starts with health and over time progresses to the ethical considerations (for me, a life time process).  Love you vegan sisters and I am saddened when I read blogs on the consumption of meat as favorite meals or popular recipes.  I have learned to temper my reaction.  The World Peace Diet and Dr. Tuttle has been helpful in this process.    Because I consider myself a voice for the voiceless, I will do whatever it takes to reach carnivores and I know that it is better to be understanding of the lack of knowledge.  I have a fierce heart but best to remain soft spoken, if I want to be heard. I, hopefully, don't preach and respond only if asked....unless there is a willing heart ready to become healthier, happier, and supportive of our planet and animals.

Sids and Cali.....for a giggle, have you ever watched Vegan Police (Can Vegans get too much protein with Kent and Kasey-) on You Tube?

Very well said, @phoenixbrd.  I started out for ethical reasons, but now it is equally for the well being of all creatures as well as my own health.  It's the best decision I have made for myself.  

I haven't seen Vegan Police but will look for them on You Tube. 

And I too love my vegan sisters!  

Esteemed Contributor

P1.png