Esteemed Contributor

V-safe After Vaccination Health Checker

Is anyone else who has had one or both Covid vaccinations signed up for V-safe thru the CDC?

Immediately after getting my first vaccination, I was directed to sit down to talk to a hospital employee who scheduled my second shot, and who conducted a short "how are you feeling?" interview.  Not just me - everyone who got the vaccination was interviewed, given a second appointment, and sent to a waiting room to sit for 15 minutes following the shot. 

This hospital employee also asked me if I was interested in signing up for V-safe and gave me the instructions to do so.  

When I got back home, I signed up for V-safe using my smartphone.  Now every afternoon about 4pm, I get a text from V-safe with a link to a short list of multiple choice questions.  It's usually the same 4 questions every day asking what side effects I'm having, if any.    

Is anyone else doing this?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: V-safe After Vaccination Health Checker

[ Edited ]

I received my 1st vaccine at the county health dept. They gave the shot and I drove away.  They didn't tell me about the V-safe. I doubt they'll tell me about it when I get my 2nd vaccine this week.  I'd probably unsubscribe or block them the third time I received a message that asks the same thing.

Respected Contributor

Honestly, this raises an eyebrow to me. If the vax is nothing to worry about, why would this be necessary? My other thought was that this is just more tracking and not something I would ever sign up for.

Honored Contributor

That's pretty interesting. 

I wonder how the cdc or anyone is able to assess affects of the vaccine, without something like this.

I've never heard of this yet.

And my own experience is feeling great right after the vaccine but bad headache and really hurting arm by the afternoon and night the same day. Next day, like a log that didn't want to move but it only lasted a few hours. After that, I would never have known I got a vaccine.

So monitoring people's reactions right after the vaccine, I'm sure will not be the same hours or a day afterwards.

How will they monitor this?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I haven’t had any vaccine yet, but I would participate.  I believe they ask the same questions because someone is doing a scientific study and they need to track not only whether you have an after-effect but when you have it.

From just the small number of people I know who have had the vaccine, I know the reactions are different, ranging from no negatives to one person who had a rash but not until day 8, something that wouldn’t have been known if they had stopped asking after a few days.  I believe persistence could be one of the differences between scientific and anecdotal information.

A couple of weeks ago I read an interview with a CDC scientist in which he said that one of the best reasons for learning as we go through Covid 19 is to be better prepared for the next major viral disease.. Participate now and add to knowledge for the future.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"V-safe After Vaccination Health Checker" has a website.  You can check it out.  

I was told the CDC would be monitoring me with these texts every day until 2 weeks after I get my 2nd vaccination.  Then, they will send me these questionaires once a week.  I can opt-out any time I want. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I had my first vaccination  on Thursday at a state run site. It was very organized & went well. After 15 minutes I was told I could leave. 
  Within a couple of hours I got very fatigued & had some chills. My arm got extremely sore. I took a Tylenol & went to bed early. Woke up the next morning feeling fine with just a little soreness at the injection site. By mid morning my arm was fine.

All in all it was no big deal.I'm looking forward to my second vaccination.I need to put Covid in the rear view mirror.

For me personally I would be willing to take a survey once,after each vaccine,not every day.

Respected Contributor

When we received our first Covid vaccinations in a local supermarket, they told us to wait for 15 minutes before leaving the store. No one mentioned V-safe. 

Honored Contributor

My sister signed up when she received her first vaccine several weeks ago.

Honored Contributor

Yes, DH and I both signed up on v-safe after both vaccines.

It's a great way to follow people's symptoms after each shot.