Respected Contributor

Re: Uterine polyp, just diagnosed

This was a very long time ago, but my OB/GYN did 5 cervical biopsies during a post delivery visit after pap report came back suspicious.  

I had a cone biopsy done (removal of neck of cervix) as a precautionary measure at the hospital.  Thank goodness path results came back negative.  To date, I've been clear every year since 1984🙏

Valued Contributor

I was diagnosed with uterine wall thickening and had to go in for a procedure to have it fixed -- I think it was going to be a D&C, but my gyn said when he got inside, he didn't see any wall thickening, so he put water in my uterus and up floated fingers that were uterine polyps. I had them removed. They had never hurt at all -- except all my life I had terrible menstrual cramps. Since I was well past menopause when these were discovered, I will never know if they were the reason for the cramps, but I'm betting they were. The removal didn't bother me much. I was knocked out for it, and afterwards, it was just like minor cramps for a day or so.

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I would never have my PCP do a pelvic exam.  Go to a gynecologist and have them evaluate the situation since they are the experts.  Good Luck!

@Catty2     @Kitty Galore

This is the first I've ever heard of a PCP doing a pelvic exam ..... IMO, every woman needs to have a good gynecologist and go for a yearly checkup.   There are too many possible complications and by the time you feel pain, it can be too late.  

@Kitty Galore     Have you made an appt with a gyno yet?

Honored Contributor

Please, please, please ladies, do NOT go to your PCP for yearly gynecological exams or any such issues.  You need to see a gynecologist. 

A good friend of mine had her PCP do her yearly exam.  Many people see one doctor for everything.  Her PAP came back abnormal.  Now, she had to get a referral into a a gyno, go for that appointment and for from there.  It took 10 days to get into to the gyno but that is because she really pushed. They were going to schedule her out 2 months.

When I had issues in 2014 with a uterine mass, I was very glad I was under the care of a gyno.  She found the mass on my yearly exam, 2 days later I had my internal ultrasound and 4 days later a biopsy.  And the only reason I waited for days for the biopsy was because my ultrasound was on a Friday.  When my gyno called me on Monday, she told me she wanted me in the next day for a biopsy.

Had I gone to my PCP, Lord only knows what that process would have been.     

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If ultrasounds and biopspy is done in office, do you need someone to drive you home?  My friend is thinking she is going to have to have this done--and I offered to go with her.  Will I need to do that?  I don't mind but she said probably not. . . 

@Sooner, I had my internal ultasound done one day and that is nothing. 

When I had my biopsy done, I was not knocked out and drove home.  Actually, I had it done on my lunch hour and came right back to work. 

The biopsy wasn't something I'd want done everyday but it wasn't that bad.  I had cramping when they snipped off the tissue but I can't say it was painful.  Apparently not everyone tolerates it the same and some will have bleeding afterwards.  I did not.  I was told some people pass out from having it done or come close to it.  It really didn't bother me.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

If ultrasounds and biopspy is done in office, do you need someone to drive you home?  My friend is thinking she is going to have to have this done--and I offered to go with her.  Will I need to do that?  I don't mind but she said probably not. . . 

@Sooner, I had my internal ultasound done one day and that is nothing. 

When I had my biopsy done, I was not knocked out and drove home.  Actually, I had it done on my lunch hour and came right back to work. 

The biopsy wasn't something I'd want done everyday but it wasn't that bad.  I had cramping when they snipped off the tissue but I can't say it was painful.  Apparently not everyone tolerates it the same and some will have bleeding afterwards.  I did not.  I was told some people pass out from having it done or come close to it.  It really didn't bother me.

IF the biopsy comes, I'll drive her home!  That doesn't sound fun.  You were knocked out and still knew?  Ohhh!!!  Snipped off sounds like saying there is "discomfort" when it hurts like heck!  But she is better about things like that than me.  I'll just drive her!  THANKS!

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Catty2 wrote:

I would never have my PCP do a pelvic exam.  Go to a gynecologist and have them evaluate the situation since they are the experts.  Good Luck!

@Catty2     @Kitty Galore

This is the first I've ever heard of a PCP doing a pelvic exam ..... IMO, every woman needs to have a good gynecologist and go for a yearly checkup.   There are too many possible complications and by the time you feel pain, it can be too late.  

@Kitty Galore     Have you made an appt with a gyno yet?

Tinkr, no I have not yet,  been getting recommends from family and friends first plus doing some research as well.  Thanks for asking.

to answer the question of why my pcp ,  I haven't had to go to a gyn in over 21 yrs as I had a fantastic pcp up until recently when we relocated and I lost that wonderful DR whom I trusted and most likely would have taken cRe of this for me herself.  She always included my internals and Pap tests in my annuals.