Honored Contributor

Re: Uterine polyp, just diagnosed

@Kitty Galore...I have my own ideas and my sister went through a similar situation.  Rather than give my opinion in which I might be considered a contrarian, please just do a lot of research and consider all perspectives.  It is your health and your body....be armed with information.  Wishing you the best of health!

Honored Contributor

I had a uterine polyp removed about five years ago.  Mine was found due to unexplained bleeding.  Out patient surgery and no further problems.  Biopsy was benign too.  The main thing is to get it taken care of as most of these things won't just go away.  Please post back after you have the procedure and let us know how you are doing.  Thinking good thoughts for you.

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Stray wrote:

So you weren't at a gynecologist's office?  How did your doctor diagnose it?  I've had polyps among other maladies and they are easily removed and wise to do so.  They can be precancerous or cause bleeding.  There is really no pain or down time to the surgery and depending on the gynecologist and their office set up, can be done in office or outpatient. 

No I was  actually had my primary physicians office,  I'm not sure how she knew just thst she was doing an internal and it was very painful and then she told me I had the polyp on my uterus and it will need to be removed.  No other details.  Did you gave your removed without surgery then?  How exactly was it done?  Was it painful, cause I am still  in pain from the exam hsve no idea why though,  has never happened in all these years.

I once went to a GP for the first time. I was in my early twenties and shy, but before I left he had done an internal as well! It's a little unusual, but is done. I never went back, it was too creepy!  BTW I has a gyno I loved and saw regularly! Of course, at my age now I would have spoken up and passed on the internal. Anyway, I've had many female problems, polyps are not among them. But, I imagine like any polyp it should be removed and you should continue to get check ups, preferably by an ob-gyn!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I would never have my PCP do a pelvic exam.  Go to a gynecologist and have them evaluate the situation since they are the experts.  Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

If ultrasounds and biopspy is done in office, do you need someone to drive you home?  My friend is thinking she is going to have to have this done--and I offered to go with her.  Will I need to do that?  I don't mind but she said probably not. . . 

Esteemed Contributor

I had a biopsy done in the my Gyn office some years ago and definitely didn't need someone to drive me home. That said, if your friend needs a biopsy and an ultrasound, they will tell her in the office whether or not she should drive. Wait until she gets further instructions and then decide what you need to do.

Honored Contributor

@Jannabelle wrote:

I had a biopsy done in the my Gyn office some years ago and definitely didn't need someone to drive me home. That said, if your friend needs a biopsy and an ultrasound, they will tell her in the office whether or not she should drive. Wait until she gets further instructions and then decide what you need to do.

THANKS!  I thought maybe they just do it right then. . . I'll quit bugging her!  LOL!!!

Valued Contributor

I'm 62 now and had one removed in my late 59 or so.  It was in the hospital, and sent for biopsy.  Negative but I've had ultrasounds every 6 months since then - the most recent  showing the lining of my uterus increasing. Mine was also found by my GP when I was having stomach pains and she sent me for an ultrasound. 

Definitely get it checked out. Different women, different medical histories and health conditions so it's worthwhile.  I wasn back to work in 1-2 days. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all of you that have also posted , I appreciate Everyone's advice and well wishes.  I intend to doing my research and consultation with a Gyno my cousin recommendedCat Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kitty Galore

While you might have a very good PCP, you really need to see a gyno ... and do some research online.   These polyps can cause real problems if ignored.